Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Oct 12, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #226 of 13,856
Hi JV.

Although not a very long trial, I must admit I found 2x FDD20s didn't have quite the same amazing sub-bass as either 2x 31s or the 31/FDD20 combo...but perhaps much longer burn-in might bring things a bit closer...look forward to your and neph's findings...:p

Hello H1...

No problem, I like this combo so much that I wanted a backup anyway, since the FDD20 is a "way back" tube, and existing stock will surely dwindle.

If the FDD20 had been a 6v tube in the octal base, it would have been well known as a fine performer, long ago :)

Cheers!

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #227 of 13,856
Other Considerations:
Obviously the Crack is a DIY kit. As other reviewers have said, the kit and instructions are great and it’s quite easy to build. Personally, I had no trouble building it, but I had some bad parts that took several months to iron out. I sent it to bottlehead HQ 3 times before it was in perfect order. Repairs and shipping aren’t cheap, so I’m probably into the Crack for as much as, or more than, the Elise. I’ll give bottlehead credit for customer service, but I wish I bought something like the Elise from the beginning. It’s a nice amp, but in my experience, not reliable enough to be your _only_ amp. YMMV – a lot of other people love the Crack.

Hope this was informative, 
Karl

Well done Karl!

Thank you for the detailed report and the time taken to report your findings.

Very helpful..!

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #228 of 13,856
DSC_0106.JPG

Just an answer to the question of the picture of the old Harley - as usual, the members on this thread seem knowledgeable about everything!

Haven't driven a motorcycle in 50 years, and I didn't know what "knucklehead" means in terms of bikes, but now I know, and of course, Mikelap is right!

"The knucklehead is a retronym used by enthusiasts to refer to a Harley-Davidson motorcycle engine, so named because of the distinct shape of the rocker boxes.[1] The engine is a two cylinder, 45 degree, pushrod actuated overhead valve V-twin engine with two valves per cylinder. It was the third basic type of V-Twin engine used by Harley-Davidson, replacing the Flathead-engined VL model in 1936 as HD's top-of-the-line model. The engine was manufactured until 1947 and was replaced by the Panhead engine in 1948. The Knucklehead-engined models were originally referred to as "OHVs" by enthusiasts of the time and in Harley's official literature; the nickname arose from the California chopper culture of the late 1960s.
As the design of Harley-Davidson engines has evolved through the years, the distinctive shape of the valve covers has allowed Harley enthusiasts to classify an engine simply by looking at the shape of the cover. The knucklehead engine valve covers have contours resembling knuckles on a person's fist that give the knucklehead its name."

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #229 of 13,856
Very informative Mordy. Bikies will be signing up here soon. 
biggrin.gif

I happened to come across a pair of Tung Sol rebranded IBM 7236 last night. Drove 27kms just to get it. Being local it's cheaper and no postage fee. 

Some more thoughts on the 5998. 
Bass is solid and extends deep but in a very refined way. This is not Basshead bass. It's the most refined bass. Treble is smooth and extended and mid range is excellent. Every single note seems uplifted. That's why some thinks it's bright. It's not. It's clear, detailed and yet relaxing to listen to. There's a hint of warm and lushness for sure. All these attributes are very clearly heard. Every Peter Paul and Mary can hear it. Doesn't need golden ears to detect it. On first listen you'll smile involuntarily. 

I'm now doing a real extended A/B compare of the 7236 and 5998. Intend to spend a few days to get a real good impressions. 7236 is different...in a good way. I'm really enjoying both atm.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #230 of 13,856
I must be living under a rock. I just discovered JRiver Media Center. This player is nice ! Pulls in all your music files in whatever bitrates and format it's held. So I have ALAC, FLAC all stored in there. Works on Mac and Windows and on first listen sounds a lot better from other players I've tried. Your thoughts please if you have any to share.

On another note, I like to hear from the experts on tube rolling. On my DV, I use one power and one driver tube. I'd switch power tubes occasionally to compare. I read somewhere that it could be dangerous to put in a cold power tube and a warm driver. It could cause arcing ???

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #231 of 13,856
Hi H1,

My second part of the question was what power tubes should pair well with ECC31? I am willing to buy the best tubes but will it still require the power tubes upgrade? I seem unable to buy the most expensive power tubes atm, might need an equally better alternative that is at least available on the market. 

The suggest seller, I tried to contact him but unable to send PM, he suggests PM for international buyers first. I will try again.

Thanks!
LR

Quote:
  Hi LR. The best supply of NOS 31s at the moment seems to be UK ebayer  :  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECC31-MULLARD-VALVE-TUBE-BRITISH-MADE-/191687114164?hash=item2ca1713db4

Good used ones do occasionally turn up, but these tubes are so good it is well worth splashing out on new ones, IMHO - you wouldn't regret it. Certainly don't pay more for used tubes would be my advice, lol!
wink_face.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #232 of 13,856
That's the link I bought my ECC31 from - the link from H1. They still have 7 available. Last I look was 9.

Power tubes if money is no object then the GEC 6AS7G but I don't see them anywhere at the moment. Failing that my choice would be a pair of 5998. Other choices would be a pair of Mullard 6080 or even a pair of Chatham 6AS7G.

The seller will take a few days to respond. He said so about being able to post on Tues and Wed only.

These tube are big investments. If you feel the Geek outperforms Elise I doubt tubes will be the magical cure. Not everyone will prefer tube amps over ss. It's a personal preference.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #235 of 13,856
Oct 12, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #236 of 13,856
Where were you when Mike Jagger and the Rolling Stones sang Angie in 1973? It's an acoustic guitar song that tells of the end of a romance. Whether the song is about a real girl or Richards who wrote most of the song was referring to his quitting heroin. Whatever it is enjoy:-

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #237 of 13,856
Where were you when Mike Jagger and the Rolling Stones sang Angie in 1973? It's an acoustic guitar song that tells of the end of a romance. Whether the song is about a real girl or Richards who wrote most of the song was referring to his quitting heroin. Whatever it is enjoy:-

According to the WiKi page for this song:

"An unusual feature of the original recording is that singer Mick Jagger's vocal guide track (made before the final vocals were performed) is faintly audible throughout the song (an effect sometimes called a "ghost vocal")."

I have the CD and LP, so going to check this "ghost vocal" out.

Speaking of audible oddities...on the Michael Jackson's Thriller LP (and CD releases) check out the 'out of tune' Glockenspiel that is on one side of the recording of "Human Nature".
It's audible the whole way through the song.

In quality headphones set ups (like ours) it's very ear to hear this and follow. There has been a lot of speculation over the years as to exactly what it is (is it really a Glockenspiel?) etc.

When I first heard it, many years ago, I thought "Hmmmm, Micheal must have owed an amateur musician a chance to play on an album of his".

It sounds out of tune to the melody in several places. It's very very odd indeed, with many saying that if Quincy Jones was in charge of this recording (which he was) then, it's no mistake and it was certainly meant to be in there.

See what you think....

--JV--

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #238 of 13,856

i bought that album back then I think the name of it was GOATS HEAD SOUP 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back