Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 27, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #3,166 of 11,833
Looks like fun unless the guy in front slows down suddenly !

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #3,167 of 11,833
  Are the IEM's for her?  She has a nice smile!  When Conner hears music he likes he will come and lay down and listen.  If it is some thing he does not like, he will walk over and lay down in the bathroom, away from the music,

No, she isn't musically inclined at all.

No time to walk your dog? 

When I say "walk" I really mean an outdoor "sniffing eveything and weeing on most of it" session accompanied by her human (who neither sniffs or wees during these outings!)
She's not an indoor exercise sort of girl (apart from occasional games of chase with the cat).

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #3,168 of 11,833
Alright who let the dogs out? ! 
etysmile.gif

Back to music again.

This song featured in my review of Elise and I love it. EL3N with Bendix 6080wb.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #3,169 of 11,833
@UntilThen this is what we use a treadmill up here in norther climates.....

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #3,170 of 11,833
Today we hit a record high for this day of 37.8 C here in Scottsdale. By evening it was pretty nice, and you all motivated me to take my dog for a walk. We saw a lot of interesting things on the walk. Unfortunately, when we got home I realized I don't own a dog(((

I did take a video of one of the more interesting things I saw on the walk.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #3,172 of 11,833
Here is a musical piece in the New Orleans tradition of George Lewis - Hiawatha Rag by the New Orleans Quartet from England. If you wondered what slap bass is you can find the answer here by Annie Hawkins - the Queen of Slap. John Petters is a great drummer in the N.O tradition.

I find this piece very entertaining and fun, watching the improvisations by the musicians.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #3,173 of 11,833
@HOWIE13, interesting so one of your favorite power tubes lately has been the straight-form Thompson-CSF 6080's right? I thought it was good but had some slightly off kilter tonality upper regions, maybe like an upper treble sizzle but that's interesting it gave you the best piano reproduction ever, maybe I should give mine a little more time.

Also I've gotta tell everybody what an absolute knockout made-in-heaven pairing the Modi 2 Multibit is with the Elise. It has 0 faults and does everything with great finesse and realism. Not to say it's the best out there, but easily reaching into summit-fi territory at half the price of many DACs... not to mention a major space saver, about the size of two wallets! 

Howie which DAC is getting most of your time lately, and any thoughts on a comparison between this and the NAD D1050?

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #3,174 of 11,833
... update on the Thompson-CSF 6080's - just popped 'em back in and they have basically everything good about the Mullards, with better upper-mids yet a bit of treble glare. Still excellent in their own right, and so cheap they're basically 'free'. Also the dynamics / PRAT & mids are heavenly with smaller driver tubes such as Tesla ECC88

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #3,175 of 11,833
  @HOWIE13, interesting so one of your favorite power tubes lately has been the straight-form Thompson-CSF 6080's right? I thought it was good but had some slightly off kilter tonality upper regions, maybe like an upper treble sizzle but that's interesting it gave you the best piano reproduction ever, maybe I should give mine a little more time.

Also I've gotta tell everybody what an absolute knockout made-in-heaven pairing the Modi 2 Multibit is with the Elise. It has 0 faults and does everything with great finesse and realism. Not to say it's the best out there, but easily reaching into summit-fi territory at half the price of many DACs... not to mention a major space saver, about the size of two wallets! 

Howie which DAC is getting most of your time lately, and any thoughts on a comparison between this and the NAD D1050?

Good morning (or night for you) DL 

' interesting it (Thomson) gave you the best piano reproduction ever'    

No- see #3147

The best piano sound I've so far experienced is with 5998/K-R VT231 (with T1g2 and D-1050 DAC).

The Thomsons were excellent partnered with Sylvania VT231 drivers for Chamber Music instrumental detail, again with the T1g2/D-1050.

The Thomsons, in some of my favourite recordings of Baroque, add a little upper end sparkle and brilliance to the engaging, immersive incandesence of the D-1050/T1g2 combo to spotlight certain higher pitched instruments like flutes and violins from the general mix of low register instruments, like cellos, double bass and organ. That's just the way I personally like to hear this kind of music.

I'm definitely not saying the Thomsons would necessarily pair well with other combos. They probably will be too bright with some cans as they do accentuate the treble but that's the reason I used them in this particular situation. 'Horses for courses.'  For instance, with K701/702 the Thomsons are too bright for my ears.

As for comparing DACs, that's for another day but Mimby, Mojo and D-1050 are all excellent-and different. It doesn't matter though with Elise because tube rolling irons out the differences according to how you want to hear your music.

Also my T1, like Elise, is a chameleon and extremely capable of changing it's character according to needs, so I'm finding it an awesome combination.
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #3,176 of 11,833
  ... update on the Thompson-CSF 6080's - just popped 'em back in and they have basically everything good about the Mullards, with better upper-mids yet a bit of treble glare. Still excellent in their own right, and so cheap they're basically 'free'. Also the dynamics / PRAT & mids are heavenly with smaller driver tubes such as Tesla ECC88

I'm glad you like the Tesla. If you have any 6N6P or 6N30p tubes left over from those halcyon G1217 days I would try them as drivers in Elise as I find them very good too.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #3,177 of 11,833
I've not given much thought to D-1050 because I've always attributed the change in tone to tubes and headphones that I swap constantly. The DAC is simply there doing it's job and it's the eventual tone from the setup that I like. Without analysing too much, I find it musical with a pleasing sounding timbre and that alone is good enough for me. 
L3000.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #3,178 of 11,833
  I've not given much thought to D-1050 because I've always attributed the change in tone to tubes and headphones that I swap constantly. The DAC is simply there doing it's job and it's the eventual tone from the setup that I like. Without analysing too much, I find it musical with a pleasing sounding timbre and that alone is good enough for me. 
L3000.gif

Absolutely.
That's exactly what I meant when I described Elise as 'chameleon'- you can forget about your DAC, as long as it sounds musical enough for you, and fine tune with Elise.
Imagine the head and wallet ache having to DAC roll as well.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #3,179 of 11,833

The best piano sound I've so far experienced is with 5998/K-R VT231 (with T1g2 and D-1050 DAC).

I can understand why you're smitten with that setup because I use a similar setup occasionally. Only difference being I have a T1 G1 and Sylvania 6SN7wgt with 5998. It's a great tone for rock and roll too ... and most genre. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back