Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Oct 28, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #3,181 of 11,833
  I can understand why you're smitten with that setup because I use a similar setup occasionally. Only difference being I have a T1 G1 and Sylvania 6SN7wgt with 5998. It's a great tone for rock and roll too ... and most genre. 
tongue.gif

Yes the DAC might be more critical in a set up where you couldn't alter the amp's native sound- like most SS amps. Another potential advantage of tube amps.

It actually struck me that my set up using Sylvania VT231 drivers might result in my g2 sounding not too dissimilar to your g1.
Also, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your g1 sounded close to my g2 with your 5998 and Sylvania 6SN7wgt set-up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #3,182 of 11,833
You know you're an audiophile when...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/544391/you-know-youre-an-audiophile-when

Laughing too much here from the comments. 
biggrin.gif
beyersmile.png

Omg I can't stop laughing. 
deadhorse.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #3,183 of 11,833

It actually struck me that my set up using Sylvania VT231 drivers might result in my g2 sounding not too dissimilar to your g1.
Also, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your g1 sounded close to my g2 with your 5998 and Sylvania 6SN7wgt set-up.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's highly possible. You are getting to know your tube sound well now Howie. 
etysmile.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #3,187 of 11,833
I Think it is good move from Samsung if they gonna buy it. This move will bring many consumers into audiophile world.

Yes someday our washing machines and refrigerators will sound good too. 

Hey my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge might have a Utopia speaker in it. 

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #3,188 of 11,833
Hi UT,

Amazing - u read all the 6354 posts about "You know that you are and audiophile when"?

My conclusion is that audiophiles like to talk about their hobby.

But you have to be prepared. Say you are showing off your system to a young teenager. After playing a very dynamic recording in it's full glory, you ask: How does it sound?

Answer: Horrible!

What can u do with kids that have been brought up on Dr. Dre Beats?

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #3,189 of 11,833
Hi pct,

U asked me about this offering:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361220438372?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

Well, I bought four for less than the price of one:

s-l1600.jpg

That is $7.05 vs $33.65 for one tube incl shipping. These RCAs have a wonderful satisfying mid bass

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,190 of 11,833
  Hi pct,

U asked me about this offering:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361220438372?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

Well, I bought four for less than the price of one:

s-l1600.jpg

That is $7.05 vs $33.65 for one tube incl shipping. These RCAs have a wonderful satisfying mid bass

Good find mordy ))) One of the newer RCA 6080s I bought has started to crackle a lot. It is the first tube I've had go bad.

Not wanting my HD800S to join @UntilThen 's HD650 in headphone heaven quite yet, I've gone back to my GEC 6080s, which sound better anyway. I did order a pair of the 1957 RCAs out of curiousity..

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #3,191 of 11,833
I have not had problems with tubes blowing up (except caused by faulty adapters) but it seems prudent to be careful if the the tube starts to make unusual noises. In the past when I heard strange noises I would clean the tube pins by gently scraping with a pen knife and that usually helped.

The RCAs I like are all 6080 tubes without any suffixes like WA etc and are from the late 50's/ early 60's.

I will be happy to try the GEC 6080 tubes, but I am waiting for the right price - some of them go for $260/pair and up at the moment.

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #3,192 of 11,833
smile.gif

Not much.
biggrin.gif

And I thought you were my friend, lol! 
redface.gif
wink_face.gif

When you remove the base and fit new gold plated ones, you're too far gone.... 
biggrin.gif

Joking... we're looking forward to what you will discover with those Valvo and Teslas.

And you too, M!!...
wink.gif
...(mind you, you've got to admit they do look so much nicer for the change in clothes!!
biggrin.gif
...).

@hypnos1 is an evil man who took over my mush mind and turned me into a person my mother never intended. 
gs1000.gif

Well, pct...I have after all spent over 30 years trying to perfect my skills LOL!...(and sometimes...just sometimes...Mother does NOT know best!!
ksc75smile.gif
...just never admit it, lol!).

And CHEERS! to you all...have a great weekend...
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif
...(seem to be enjoying - no, needing! - rather larger glasses of my favourite red wine at the moment...for some reason!!
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
...).

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #3,193 of 11,833
  Good find mordy ))) One of the newer RCA 6080s I bought has started to crackle a lot. It is the first tube I've had go bad.

Not wanting my HD800S to join @UntilThen 's HD650 in headphone heaven quite yet, I've gone back to my GEC 6080s, which sound better anyway. I did order a pair of the 1957 RCAs out of curiousity..

You need to be careful with your HD800S. Certainly only use it with tubes that are good, without pops and crackles. I have a pair of Fivre 6N7G 'Horn' that buzz occasionally. I've put that aside too. Probably will bin it. 
tongue.gif

Those 1957 RCAs looks interesting. The RCAs have a nice midbass as Mordy says.

Oct 28, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3,194 of 11,833

And you too, M!!...
wink.gif
...(mind you, you've got to admit they do look so much nicer for the change in clothes!!
biggrin.gif
...).

Yup I've gone too far to the dark side too and I'm back to stock tubes this morning for a bit of nostalgia. 
biggrin.gif

An old favourite by Cream who were almost as famous as the Beatles in the 2 years they were together.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #3,195 of 11,833
  ...Say you are showing off your system to a young teenager. After playing a very dynamic recording in it's full glory, you ask: How does it sound?

Answer: Horrible!

What can u do with kids that have been brought up on Dr. Dre Beats?

I'd say that assertation may be reaching a bit. I've shared hi-fi rigs with a good handful of varied late teen's through 20's, who are well versed in the Beats sound, and they were all quite impressed - some agape that fidelity like that is even possible. I've even spoke with some who say their Samsung earbuds and other cheapo's sound better than those rip-off's. What a convoluted corporate world we live in these days, where the masses are brainwashed into things like mindless shallow autotuned music, headphone brands, uncomfortable ugly clothes, etc. until they actually like it. Well for me, I've always been proud to be strange. We the audiophiles are the outcasts and should be proud of it - causing ripples in the tides to spur hi-fi innovation.

...WOW, how did I just get so deep on a blown mind after a long day? 
tongue.gif
 Or maybe it's more like Stax can buy Beats... or at least Skullcandy 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back