Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 15, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #228 of 11,833
Looking forward to hearing the Elise, I have the Espressivo and Feliks Audio are sending me the Elise to review :)

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #234 of 11,833
  Interested to know what you think about Espressivo as well.

Shame you weren’t at CanJam London last year, my Espressivo was there. It’s a fantasic amp for the price, limited tube rolling compared to Elise, but I do not think it can be beaten for the price. It has a smooth and powerful sound, with tube warmth but not over done to the point it sounds muddy or veiled. Details still shine through, I use Voskhod tubes with it which will only set you back around £15-20 a set and improve it overall (slightly more warmth than stock tubes)

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #235 of 11,833
Well were do I begin, the biggest difference between the 5998  and 5998A of course is the "A"!  Have not gotten the 5998 or  5998A's burned in yet, but close, initial reaction was to turn down the volume on the 5998A, as they seem to have more gain. They also seem to have a little more strength in the mid range, a little bit smoother.  The TS5998's are also new old stock and more than twice as expensive.  They are very clear and precise,  They seem to be a little more analytic , not a great word but close to what I am hearing. Need more time on the 5998A,s but what I am hearing is very positive.  Have to roll in some more drivers and see the results. Little busy right now building a monument to my dear wife.  Okay, it is only a pile of laundry , but hey, my sense of humor is kind of lacking right now.  I will give some more time and tube rolling to be a little more consist ant , but right now I am enjoying the  5998A,s slightly more than the 5998".  Also quit the other Elise thread kind of slow and not in my interest anymore.  Glad this thread is doing well, hat's off to the folks that make it so.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #236 of 11,833

Shame you weren’t at CanJam London last year, my Espressivo was there. It’s a fantasic amp for the price, limited tube rolling compared to Elise, but I do not think it can be beaten for the price. It has a smooth and powerful sound, with tube warmth but not over done to the point it sounds muddy or veiled. Details still shine through, I use Voskhod tubes with it which will only set you back around £15-20 a set and improve it overall (slightly more warmth than stock tubes)

My impression is similar.
I'm hoping to get to the London CanJam this year, as long as my sciatica clears up. 
frown.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #237 of 11,833

Thanks for your information on the Espressivo. I think most of us here blew right past it and bought the Elise. I look forward to your review of the Elise and how you think it compares to the Espressivo.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #238 of 11,833
  Well were do I begin, the biggest difference between the 5998  and 5998A of course is the "A"!  Have not gotten the 5998 or  5998A's burned in yet, but close, initial reaction was to turn down the volume on the 5998A, as they seem to have more gain. They also seem to have a little more strength in the mid range, a little bit smoother.  The TS5998's are also new old stock and more than twice as expensive.  They are very clear and precise,  They seem to be a little more analytic , not a great word but close to what I am hearing. Need more time on the 5998A,s but what I am hearing is very positive.  Have to roll in some more drivers and see the results. Little busy right now building a monument to my dear wife.  Okay, it is only a pile of laundry , but hey, my sense of humor is kind of lacking right now.  I will give some more time and tube rolling to be a little more consist ant , but right now I am enjoying the  5998A,s slightly more than the 5998".  Also quit the other Elise thread kind of slow and not in my interest anymore.  Glad this thread is doing well, hat's off to the folks that make it so.

CF:  Glad to see your sense of humor still shinning through at a time like this in your life. I think your pile of laundry is probably a very appropriate "monument" as it can remind you of all the many benefits and contributions your late wife brought to your life. 

With another reminder last night from France of the chaotic world we live in, it is probably a little difficult for most of us to hold on to our sense of humor right now. But a sense of humor can serve to reinforce the "good" in all of our lives.

Just want you to know I love it whenever I see one of your posts here.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #239 of 11,833
I've never seen any discussion here or at the other thread about the upgraded driver option FA offers for the Elise. As I recall it was initially shown on their site as a Melz tube, but now the "upgraded" tubes are not specified. If anyone knows it would be interesting to learn what drivers FA considers to be an upgrade.

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #240 of 11,833
  Looking forward to hearing the Elise, I have the Espressivo and Feliks Audio are sending me the Elise to review :)

And looking forward to hearing your impressions, ostewart...is that to simply "review", or to review and KEEP lol?!!
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif
...(doubt you'd want to return it anyway!..
bigsmile_face.gif
).

Now the wait...
redface.gif

ps. Do you already have some upgraded tubes to try once burned in ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back