Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 15, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #241 of 11,833

And looking forward to hearing your impressions, ostewart...is that to simply "review", or to review and KEEP lol?!!
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif
...(doubt you'd want to return it anyway!..
bigsmile_face.gif
).

Now the wait...
redface.gif

ps. Do you already have some upgraded tubes to try once burned in ?

I have to pay if I want to keep it, like with the Espressivo (which I did buy as it was awesome)

No other tubes to try it with, as no point investing in tubes I can't use.

Might have to sell the Espressivo to fund the Elise

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #242 of 11,833
  I have to pay if I want to keep it, like with the Espressivo (which I did buy as it was awesome)

No other tubes to try it with, as no point investing in tubes I can't use.

Might have to sell the Espressivo to fund the Elise

Wow, ostewart...on appro?...cool...a no-brainer then!...

Well, when you hear what she (her sleek beauty forces me to use female terms, lol!) delivers with stock tubes, I'm sure you will be very happy at that...plenty of time thereafter to be tempted perhaps with more tubes?
evil_smiley.gif
wink_face.gif

As for funding...BEG, STEAL OR BORROW - you won't regret it!!...Whatever, good luck with the venture.

ps. If you found the Espressivo "awesome", I look forward to the words you find for Elise...
L3000.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #243 of 11,833
Hi pct,

Remember reading about the Melz tubes that there were many problems in getting consistent quality - a lot of the tubes had to be rejected, and this is probably the reason why they don't offer them now.

Don't remember anybody gushing over them in comparison with the other over achievers we found on the thread.....

Since Feliks Audio is offering amps for review now, it seems to me that they are ready to ramp up the production - just a guess though.....

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #244 of 11,833
  Hi pct,

Remember reading about the Melz tubes that there were many problems in getting consistent quality - a lot of the tubes had to be rejected, and this is probably the reason why they don't offer them now.

Don't remember anybody gushing over them in comparison with the other over achievers we found on the thread.....

Since Feliks Audio is offering amps for review now, it seems to me that they are ready to ramp up the production - just a guess though.....

Thanks Mordy. I wish FA all the financial success possible, in part because I love their Elise.

But also because I have very fond memories of the month I spent in Poland in 1971 when it was still part of the Warsaw Pact. I had just gotten out of the Marine Corps and with the money I had saved up I picked up a Mercedes 250C at the Stuttgart factory for $6,000, and spent the next several months touring Europe.

To get to Poland I had to enter East Berlin and drive non-stop on the East German autobahn to the Polish border. I got there late in the afternoon and it took me 2 or 3 hours to get through the border. They were mainly interested in forcing me to convert my US dollars at the official highway-robbery rate of exchange. 

From there to Warsaw I was on a narrow two-lane highway, and going was very slow because many farmers were returning home for the night with their horse-drawn carts. I finally gave up and stopped at a truck stop to sleep in my car for the night. When I woke up the sun was up, all the trucks were gone, and I was surrounded by a fairly large group of school children peering into my car with signs of amazement on their faces. Their school bus had stopped and this was probably the first Mercedes they had ever seen.

When I finally arrived in Warsaw I had to go to the state controlled visitor bureau to find a campsite where I could pitch my tent. I got a chuckle out of the fact that in back of the service desk there was a huge American Express banner!!!

While standing in line I met a professor from Australia whose parents had immigrated to Australia from Poland, and who spoke perfect Polish. We struck up a great friendship and I stayed in Poland much longer than I had intended.

Sorry to digress into ancient history, but I like the fact that my Elise came from Poland 
happy_face1.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #245 of 11,833
  Hi pct,

Yo mordy...can't remember anyone else trying the Melz, but I must admit my initial impression of them was that they seemed very promising indeed, if somewhat uber powerful/enthusiastic!! If the early lack in delicacy had altered somewhat, they could well have been keepers lol. But with three examples developing horrendous distortion, I decided to leave well alone!!

Interesting slant on the review front...will be interesting to see what develops...
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #246 of 11,833
pct I did get the laundry done even picked up a dozen doughnuts took them to my bank as they have great coffee their.  I think. in this fast moving era we live in now with a 24 hour news cycle people tend to overlook the really important things in life until it is too late and I feel it is even more timely now to be able to lighten up now and then . I look around at all we have acquired in our life together and would trade it all just for a chance to say goodbye, yes even the Elise. sorry to interrupt this dynamic thread but people, listen for a moment to the voice of experience, tomorrow is never guarranted, live your life,for today and don't worry about tomorrow.  On a more serious note, these gold airs are really sounding. great . Have to try other drivers

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #249 of 11,833
  pct I did get the laundry done even picked up a dozen doughnuts took them to my bank as they have great coffee their.  I think. in this fast moving era we live in now with a 24 hour news cycle people tend to overlook the really important things in life until it is too late and I feel it is even more timely now to be able to lighten up now and then . I look around at all we have acquired in our life together and would trade it all just for a chance to say goodbye, yes even the Elise. sorry to interrupt this dynamic thread but people, listen for a moment to the voice of experience, tomorrow is never guarranted, live your life,for today and don't worry about tomorrow.  On a more serious note, these gold airs are really sounding. great . Have to try other drivers

CF, you're right. We get caught up with so many things in life, like the 24 hours news flash, carnage around the world, we kind of forget there are still beautiful things in life. Like @Lord Raven telling me what happened to his two T1 and HD800. 

That's the reason when my daughter say let's go to the beach house on a family holiday, I say 'Sure but I'm bringing Elise!' Btw I didn't tell my wife that this tube amp is call Elise, so I've some explanations to do. Guess what? I can't find the name Elise on the amp !!!

I can't find the Gold Aero anymore!!!

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #250 of 11,833
Did a little digging to find out what a 5998A tube is.

According to a Tung Sol spec sheet, it is a 5998 in a different envelope and base. And some say that a 7236 is a computer grade 5998A. The specs are very similar for all three.

However, based on my personal experience, a tube like the 6AS7 does not sound the same as a 6080, which is supposed to be the same. And a 6N7G does not sound the same as a 6N7GT which is said to be the same tube in a different envelope.

So what does this lead us to? I don't know - you just have to judge each tube on it's own merits....

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #251 of 11,833
You're right Mordy. That's why I wanted to listen to 5998A for myself. I've 5998, 7236, 6AS7G, 6AS7GA, 6080 so I've to complete the circle. 

Now who bought all the Gold Aero 5998A?

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #252 of 11,833
A brand new pair of TS 5998 cost US$398. I bought mine at US$239 from the US military stock in Vietnam and mine's dated 1966. I'm putting it in storage. 
bigsmile_face.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-PAIR-TUNG-SOL-TYPE-5998-VACUUM-TUBE-NOS-1967-DATED-421A-/381694481565?hash=item58dec3949d:g:pJ8AAOSwSzdXCm1A

My mint condition 5998.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #254 of 11,833
I have this jewel sitting here and didn't know it. My noise cancelling headphone which can be turned off. Sounds better turned off and use with Elise. PSB M4U2. 32 ohms and 102db. Volume at 10.5 am and it's loud. 

Very clear open midrange and high notes and a punchy bass. In the words of What HiFi, it will devour high tempo tracks with enthusiasm. :)

I'll listen with this for today. 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back