Favorite Bruckner Recordings
Feb 5, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #496 of 554
I listened to the Celi 4th, and I was very pleased once again. I don't think the 4th contains quite as much amazing music and orchestration as the 8th, so the slow, monumental quality wasn't quite as overpowering, but it still goes right up there with my favorite readings of the piece.

I just love how different Celi's interpretations are from most of the other options.

-Jay

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #497 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the Celi 4th, and I was very pleased once again. I don't think the 4th contains quite as much amazing music and orchestration as the 8th, so the slow, monumental quality wasn't quite as overpowering, but it still goes right up there with my favorite readings of the piece.

I just love how different Celi's interpretations are from most of the other options.

-Jay

Wait till you hear 5,6,7.......this is where Celi/EMI really hits a home run and his mesmorizing illumination of detail is used to its fullest effect

eyeresist
Thanks for heads up on Matacic, don't have any Cds by him currently

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #499 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've since listened to the B5 and found it quite good - some fairly invigorating tempos!

Went back to the B7 and found my previous judgement was a little harsh. Matacic's interpretation is definitely personal rather than grand (as opposed to the 5th) but not really so bad. It does lack momentum, however, which is unhealthy on a Bruckner performance. However slow the performance, you need a feeling of unfolding movement to keep you engaged, which Matacic unfortunately lacks here.

Other Matacic Bruckners:

There's a good B3 on BBC Legends
I think his B4 from around 1960 has been reissued on CD
Best of all-- if you can find it-- B8 live with the NHK Symphony from around 1984. It was on the Denon label, but has been long OOP.

Personal over grand is a good way to put his approach. That 7th is one of his last recordings, and it is rather slack. But his best ones have lots of zing.

Mark

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #500 of 554
Just got Blomstedt's Bruckner 4 with Staatskapelle Dresden on Denon. It's equally as good as 7th I mentioned earlier. Somehow I like these recordings more than his San Francisco ones, even though from a purely technical point of view the SFSO ones are better.

Any serious Bruckner lover should check these out.

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #501 of 554
I have been going through a Bruckner phase lately and doing some research as well as listening to a variety of the available versions.

In doing my research I discovered this site that may be of interest. It seems there are a number of Bruckner recordings that are problematic. Some have been corrected, while others are still at large in the marketplace which buyers should be aware of. Most are from second tier labels, but some are not, like the classic HvK EMI release of the Bruckner 7. Which the way is an outstanding version and this coming from someone (myself) that normally does not care for HvK.

Any how, check out this site:

"Discographic Horrors"

< http://www.abruckner.com/editorsnote...graphichorror/ >

- augustwest

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #502 of 554
Interesting reading! The Sanderling recording that the article refers to (included as a Karajan 4th with the Horenstein 9th has been reissued by Hanssler Classics Profil; and the Horenstein is also available.

B000AMMSSA.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
CD4781.jpg

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #503 of 554
More Bruckner on the way:

Kubelik/BRSO/Sony 3rd + 4th
Beinum/CBO/Phillips 8th + 9th

These are coming from HMV Japan

Eyeresist
How did you like your Karajan complete set?

Mark
Has the Celi set given you new insights into Bruckner, a real revelation for me.

Karajan/VPO/DG 7th
I know I was raving about this a few pages ago but if anyone does not own this buy it immediately, not only Karajan's final recording but perhaps the greatest Bruckner recording ever made by anyone

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #505 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best bruckner 9th for me remains Walter's with Columbia.....I know thats not the best orchestra to ever try their hands at the piece but thats the best overall interpretation in my opinion

That is a very good 9th, my reference remains Giulini/VPO/DG which just amazes me everytime I hear the massive waves of beautiful sound it creates, the VPO string tone is sublime

My best kept secret great 9th is the live Karajan/VPO/Andante which can be purchase very cheap at Berkshire Records on 3CD Andante VPO Bruckner set.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #506 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Karajan/VPO/DG 7th
I know I was raving about this a few pages ago but if anyone does not own this buy it immediately, not only Karajan's final recording but perhaps the greatest Bruckner recording ever made by anyone

That's definately a fair judgement. For some reason, he didn't connect with me as much on the 8th, but his 7th is sublime.

-jar

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #508 of 554
Quote:

My best kept secret great 9th is the live Karajan/VPO/Andante which can be purchase very cheap at Berkshire Records on 3CD Andante VPO Bruckner set.

I'll second that 9th, and the whole set. Böhm in the 7th, Furtwängler in the 8th, and Von Karajan in the 9th.

It's also nice to get Von Karajan with the WP in 1976, as the Berlin partnership hadn't gone sour yet. He, for that matter, hadn't gone sour yet.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #509 of 554
Quote:

More Bruckner on the way:

Kubelik/BRSO/Sony 3rd + 4th
Beinum/CBO/Phillips 8th + 9th

These are coming from HMV Japan

Order has arrived.........to supplement these purchased used at Amazon:

Kubelik/BRSO/Orfeo 9th
Beinum/CBO/Audio Legends 4th

The Kubelik 9th better live up to the hype since it was not that cheap
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #510 of 554
Quote:

Order has arrived.........to supplement these purchased used at Amazon:

Kubelik/BRSO/Orfeo 9th
Beinum/CBO/Audio Legends 4th

The Kubelik 9th better live up to the hype since it was not that cheap
frown.gif

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Kubelik 9th. I've always been interested in that recording, but have never pulled the trigger on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back