Favorite Bruckner Recordings
Dec 7, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #466 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where have all the Bruckner faithful gone??????????

I'm still here. Bought the Celibidache/EMI set, and absolutely love it. There is something addictive about the playing and sound that the orchestra produces. Great way to learn the piece inside out, and while it's played very slowly, it doesn't feel at all like it's dragging along. Great set!

Also bought the two Giulini recordings from Japan (7 and 8 with VPO). Good, but not spectacular. I am not overly impressed with the sound, and the playing just somehow doesn't seem quite as inspired and powerful as on some other versions.

Trying to decide now whether I want to buy the Wand/BPO SACDs (only 4/5/7/8/9 are available). I am very interested, but can't quite pull the trigger on so much money.

I'm trying to scale back on purchasing CDs of things I already have and trying to buy more SACDs and new composers (Martinu, Simpson, and Stanford are next on my list).

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #467 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still here. Bought the Celibidache/EMI set, and absolutely love it. There is something addictive about the playing and sound that the orchestra produces. Great way to learn the piece inside out, and while it's played very slowly, it doesn't feel at all like it's dragging along. Great set!

Also bought the two Giulini recordings from Japan (7 and 8 with VPO). Good, but not spectacular. I am not overly impressed with the sound, and the playing just somehow doesn't seem quite as inspired and powerful as on some other versions.

Trying to decide now whether I want to buy the Wand/BPO SACDs (only 4/5/7/8/9 are available). I am very interested, but can't quite pull the trigger on so much money.

I'm trying to scale back on purchasing CDs of things I already have and trying to buy more SACDs and new composers (Martinu, Simpson, and Stanford are next on my list).

Celi EMI yessssssssssssssssssss!
Trance like music making, a Bruckner dream world that reveals hidden details........like a slow motion replay that uncovers new sounds. You have to be almost insane to pay the sky high price this set sells for, but somehow it all seems worth it.

I do agree that the Giulini 7,8 CDs while good are over rated in general, many people think the 8th is best version ever. The Giulini VPO 9th however is one of the greatest Bruckner recordings ever made, an amazing performance that remains my reference 9th.

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #468 of 554
Quote:

Celi EMI yessssssssssssssssssss!
Trance like music making, a Bruckner dream world that reveals hidden details........like a slow motion replay that uncovers new sounds. You have to be almost insane to pay the sky high price this set sells for, but somehow it all seems worth it.

I do agree that the Giulini 7,8 CDs while good are over rated in general, many people think the 8th is best version ever. The Giulini VPO 9th however is one of the greatest Bruckner recordings ever made, an amazing performance that remains my reference 9th.

Agree completely. I bought the 9th first, and loved it. Heard so much raving about the 7/8 that I had to get it, but a bit disappointing. Still very interested in the Barenboim, but saving money for the SACD Wand and a Shosty set (probably the Caetani or the Kitajenko -- just wish somebody would comment on the Caetani individual discs in the other thread
icon10.gif
)

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #470 of 554
Quote:

I will officially say now that the VPO/DG 7th is best of his available recordings, perhaps the best version I have ever heard. This is really saying something since the other two Karajan recordings:
-BPO/EMI 1970
-BPO/DG 1977 (from complete set)
would each also rank very high on the list of best ever Bruckner 7ths.

I might need to pick this up as the 1970 Karajan 7th has long been my reference for this piece.

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #471 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might need to pick this up as the 1970 Karajan 7th has long been my reference for this piece.

It may seem an impossible task......but HVK tops his great EMI 7th with his final recording VPO/DG 7th, used versions at Amazon.

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #472 of 554
Quote:

It may seem an impossible task......but HVK tops his great EMI 7th with his final recording VPO/DG 7th, used versions at Amazon.

Just ordered it. I love the Karajan/VPO B8 and this is the ideal companion piece. Plus, the B7 is my favorite Bruckner, period.

I think a survey of autumnal Karajan is in order - I picked up the Karajan Mahler 9 while I was at it!

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #473 of 554
Quote:

Important Karajan supplements to this set include:
BPO/EMI Classics 4th 1970 (Jesus Christus Kirche, Berlin! ART remaster)

DA, I picked this up recently and really enjoyed it, BUT - I noticed a couple of digital glitches in the tuttis of the 4th movement (or was it the 3rd? I think it was the 4th). This was under 'phones, so maybe not noticable on speakers. Did you notice anything like this?

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #474 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DA, I picked this up recently and really enjoyed it, BUT - I noticed a couple of digital glitches in the tuttis of the 4th movement (or was it the 3rd? I think it was the 4th). This was under 'phones, so maybe not noticable on speakers. Did you notice anything like this?

Didn't notice anything from previous listens.......do you have some specific track timings where you hear these glitches?

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #475 of 554
Hi all,
I hav'nt read through all the posts but I feel it is a shame that most if not all of you are listening to classical music via the digital medium. It is precisely with great orchestral works, like Bruckner and Mahler, that vinyl really trounces CD.

I was lucky in that I was buying from 'car boot sales' boxed sets of Bruckner/Mahler et al in mint condition and rarely paid more than £1 per boxed set. This was only about 7 years ago and apart from what was considered the very best, you could'nt give away classical LPs in the UK then.

There is a lot of snobbery with classical music about which are the best recordings and by whom, thank goodness we all have differnt tastes.

Stuart

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #476 of 554
Quote:

Didn't notice anything from previous listens.......do you have some specific track timings where you hear these glitches?

Yep - I got around to listening to this disc again last night.
smily_headphones1.gif

Track 3:
R - 1.25, 7.37
L - 8.03 (not a tutti)

These sound like noise reduction artifacts to me. A shame, because it sounds very nice otherwise.

Dec 12, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #477 of 554
Quote:

Yep - I got around to listening to this disc again last night.
smily_headphones1.gif

Track 3:
R - 1.25, 7.37
L - 8.03 (not a tutti)

These sound like noise reduction artifacts to me. A shame, because it sounds very nice otherwise.

Just Listened to all three spots several times on main stereo and can hear no distortions or strange sounds.

Doc
Please report back when Karajan 7,9 arrives........listened to 1966 DG galleria 9th again last night what a massive towering performance, nearly as impressive as Giulini/VPO but sound is not as full/rich, makes all these newer highly rated 9ths pale in comparison.

Dec 14, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #478 of 554
Quote:

Just Listened to all three spots several times on main stereo and can hear no distortions or strange sounds.

Did you try listening on headphones? This is the brown-covered Karajan Collection version. Hope I don't have a defective disc...

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #479 of 554
Quote:

Did you try listening on headphones? This is the brown-covered Karajan Collection version. Hope I don't have a defective disc...

I have the older version that looks like this:
B000002S80.01._AA130_SCMZZZZZZZ_V1056632950_.jpg

1997 remaster, your version was just released with newest remaster.
The old version sells for much more than the new version for some reason.

Dec 14, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #480 of 554
Quote:

your version was just released with newest remaster.
The old version sells for much more than the new version for some reason.

Um, that cover says the 7th, not the 4th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back