ex70 and vx-100/hp-v600
Oct 19, 2002 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

aznhoward

Head-Fier
Which are better: mdr-ex70lp or vx-100/hp-v600?

Excessive bass isn't that much of a concern as long as it's "quality" bass (dont know how to describe it) as that's one of the main points of the music i listen to: trance/techno/dance. The only 'phones i've listened to so far (that are actually good) are the ksc-35s so my ears arent' spoiled by anything like the etys for example. isolation is prefered so that's why I'm not considering the mx500s.

and what's the difference between the vx-100 and the hp-v600? if they're the same, then i will go for the hp-v600 as it's widely avaiable in the US. otherwise, i'll just get the vx-100 at audiocubes.

thanks

Oct 19, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

what's the difference between the vx-100 and the hp-v600?

vx-100 -> remote-friendly short cord version plus extension cord. Japanese only. Hence the price difference.

hp-v600 -> standard long cord with L-shaped 1/8" connector.

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 20
Well, I don't know about the HP-V600, but the EX70 has worse sound quality than the KSC-35 by far... unmodded, at least. I dont know about after the Silver mods...

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 20
i know someone who has both, and she much prefers the sony to the aiwa.

Oct 20, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 20
big issue is fit:

the ex70's have three sizes of tips.
the aiwa's come with two sets of the same size...nd it's big. for me at least...i couldn't even get them in well enough to give a good opinion.
the sony's i liked...good isoation, very comfortable, good bass. at louder levels, the high end was a bit harsh. imaging was decent.

using past tense here because i got the ety 4p's...and the sony's are gone. no comparison to the ety's of course, but for the price, i would say the sony's are very good for in-ear headphones.

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 20
i have both. i'll try to be forgiving despite my distaste for one of em.
both gives good isolation but the sony has far better. the aiwa just seals the entrance of your ear holes but the sony gets a tad deeper (of course not as deep as the ety).
soundwise, it depends on your music preferences actually. if you love balanced sound, the ex70 will be your choice. the unmodded ex70 will have a big hump on the bass that's why modding it is a good alternative. the aiwa on the other hand can't be modded (nobody tried of so far) because it's more sealed. even after continous burn-in on bright music, the bass is just too much to the point of sounding muffled and artificial. and it's not just my ears, it's too discernable even comparing it with an unmodded but burned-in ex70. but it's the loudest of all my buds (mx500, e888) and i have to adjust volumes continuously when doing comparisons. maybe it's because of the large drivers. so if you love heavy bass music like hip hop, disco etc., and don't feel comfortable with sticking stuff deep in your ears but would love the isolation of in-ear buds but not too much, the aiwa will do good for you.

btw, if you want a pair for jogging, the aiwa can fall off easily compared with the sony.

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 20
thanks for the info robster and tina... they've been really helpful

what mods would you suggest using on the ex70 though? i've heard on one of the posts that said listening to techno with burned in unmodded ex70s sound fine. is this right?

Oct 20, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 20
that's right. right after you burn in your ex70, try to live it it for a while and see what you think. but the modded one will sound much much tamer on the bass. and the mod is totally reversible so if you like the unmodded sound for your music preferences, you can redo your pair again. but if you'll hear the modded pair, i doubt you'll turn back
biggrin.gif

p.m. redshifter for the mod. that genius created it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Tina
the aiwa just seals the entrance of your ear holes but the sony gets a tad deeper

Doesn't sound like you have sufficient seal with the Aiwas. These are canal-phones, so they should go through to ear holes, not just the entrance. Maybe this is the reason the sound as been unsatisfactory for you and some others?

Oct 20, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx
Doesn't sound like you have sufficient seal with the Aiwas. These are canal-phones, so they should go through to ear holes, not just the entrance. Maybe this is the reason the sound as been unsatisfactory for you and some others?

sorry if i can't totally express myself better when i said "seals the entrance of your ear holes". maybe you should check some close up pics and see what i mean. or better yet, try one out at an electronics store. i know i'm i have a total seal with the aiwas. that's why they sound more bassy and muffled and LOUDER. they are just non identical as far as the the way the ex70 goes deeper in the ears since the aiwa have shorter tubes that goes in the ears.

Oct 20, 2002 at 8:06 AM Post #14 of 20
I've posted extensively in the past about EQing physically unmodded EX70s to have the frequency response of the etymotics canalphones. It was a very close match because I was aided by frequency response comparisons between EX70s and Etys by Etymotic Research themselves. I would put the sound quality squarely between unmodded, un-EQed EX70s and the Etys, and in this form I consider the EX70s to be by far the best buy in its price range. The problem is whether you get to listen with the digital EQ required (e.g. out of a computer, or a CD that has been ripped, processed and re-burned)

Here's an overview of the EQ process:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=14812

You could in principle do this for any phones of course, including the Aiwa VX100, but finding out a pair of phones' exact frequency response is very difficult and this EQ setting for the Sony was made possible only by the exact documentation from Etymotics...
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back