Etymotic ER-4ps still respected?
Oct 11, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #31 of 57
I ordered mine here in Russia, in local hearing protection clinic. It is too far away from you to be useful.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #32 of 57
I think I want to try the Altec im716 just for the heck of it.
Is it worth it if I'm willing to spend more for the etys? I was thinking it'd be nice to have something that I wouldn't be worried about losing or abusing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm planning on picking up a pair too to compare against my Atrio M5.

Please let me know what you think. I just got the Atrios M5. I've been looking at the Sleeks SA6 and the 4S. My biggest concern is bass. I don't require all the bass that the M5s have. I could do with a slight bit less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of questions/advice needed:

According to the ER4 userguide (pdf) the 4S has a higher "Response Accuracy" than the 4Ps (92% to 86%). While I like clean solid bass response, I don't require/prefer heavy bass in my SQ needs, with cleanness/clarity of mids and highs much more important to me. How do the 4S's sound unamped vs. the 4Ps? How much less bass? Overall "fullness" of sound over all ranges?

How do the ER4S/ER4Ps compare to the Denon 700/751s, which can be found for $40-$60 less than the ER4Ps? I understand the ETYs have the edge on comfort and isolation. How about SQ? Differences? Worth the extra money?

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

I have the Denons too but I'm selling those now that I have the Atrios. I think I'm kind of in the same boat Robisan.

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #33 of 57
For the other ER4P owners out there - what have you tried to get bass out of these puppies? What's been most successful?

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #34 of 57
Not much, I'm quite happy with them as they are with the APS cable. The better amplification you give them however the more they shine

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

For the other ER4P owners out there - what have you tried to get bass out of these puppies? What's been most successful?

The FiiO amp is equalized to add bass. I think it adds a nice amount of warmth for some music. I think it sounds better than when using the 5-band equalization in my mp3 player. You could of course also lower the resistor value in the cable, but maybe this isn't very wise (?). (You can also tro to get used to the sound signature...
smile.gif
).

Oh, sorry, I forgot the most important thing. Insertion depth. The tri-flanges need to go DEEP. If they don't go DEEP, forget about DEEP bass. The sound is actually very sensitive to this. I've experimented A LOT with this and sometimes still have a hard time getting them deep and comfortable at the same time. (Hmm... maybe I should get myself shure olives or comply tips? Which of them do you guys recommend?).

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still using my ER-4S, still swear by them.

Same here! I'm also pleasantly surprised by their longevity. It's been at least four years and they've even survived a trip to the sandbox and back!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

I'm using a Cowon D2 with an amp. I just boost the bass eq. I prefer the S over the P. With the S on jazz, the cymbals' sheen is more delicate and the decay is less truncated. With the S, I can hear more of the reflections off the recording venue, how deep the singer breath, shifting of the microphone...nuances. But this is just me. These are what I enjoy. That's why I like a high resolution listening rig.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Tried:
  1. EQs of different DAPs
  2. Various tips and fit
  3. bass boosted FIIO E3 amp
Most successfull in order of descending SQ:
  1. custom tips
  2. deeper insertiom
  3. FIIO
  4. iPod Mini 2G EQ

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #40 of 57
I switched over to the foam tips from my Atrios, and that helped a little bit. Then I took a hatchet to the problem and rockboxed my 5g iPod - a little EQing goes a long way. It's still not quite the warm blanket of happiness that the Atrios are, but it's starting to feel more complete across the sonic spectrum (although I'm not sure I like what the EQ-ing is doing to the sound - more listening is in order!)

mape00 - haha thanks for the advice about getting used to the sound sig. I've been using the Atrios almost exclusively for 18 months or so now, so it's a very stark comparison for me.

Man, talk about unforgiving by the way. These things make a mockery out of my less well recorded or more compressed tracks. The things they do with great recordings are, well, great, but they chew up and spit out less impressive stuff.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Using Sony DAPs I've always simply boosted the lowest one or two registers a single step, giving a slight boost but in keeping with the 4Ps character - too much added bass sounds artificial. The ultimate cure for me was a pair of UM2s.

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #42 of 57
I am totally in love with my ER4P specially when paired with the amp.

For my ears, they are enough warm, too.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am totally in love with my ER4P specially when paired with the amp.

For my ears, they are enough warm, too.

I think I'm in love with my ER4P too. At first it seemed like a cheap one-night stand but coming away from E4 I quickly realized that they would be my life long partner.
tongue.gif
iPod & ER4P is all I need ...oh it gets better...adding the S cable and Pico I sometimes feel dirty after the hot steamy nights we share together.

etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back