Etymotic ER-4ps still respected?
Oct 4, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only listened about 5 min. so far but i have to say these things isolate so well it's a little scary.

Very true. I had my back to the tracks oneday and could not hear the T (subway) coming up behind me. Just be aware of your surroundings/

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like them but they are too fragile.
i had them replaced, due to broken stem, several times.

Did they break due to changing the tips or filter? I always worry about that with IEMs.

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #19 of 57
The cracking stem seems to be a general problem with the ER4, it has happened to me twice in the 7 years. Both times they have replaced the phones for just the cost of shipping even though both times were out of the 2 year warranty periode.

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #20 of 57
Been listening to a couple hours a day for the last 4 days since I bought these. They are easily better than all the IEMs I've tried so far but I've really only tried low to mid-fi IEMs. These include: the Vibes (bleh), UM1, Mylar X3, and Atrio M5.

+-The bass is there but it's way in the background. I'd be lying if I said this was how I prefer to hear music so I don't hesitate to turn the bass up and bring it forward. More importantly the mid-range and high's are super transparent and open sounding. They stomp all over the other in-ears I've tried in this regard.

I only bought these because they were the single IEM that I've seen so many members cling to over the years. I was envious and wanted to be happy with an IEM for longer than a year. The only reason I avoided them was because people claimed they were very thin and sibilant sounding and that scared me. Luckily that wasn't the case in my experience.

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 57
I have both P & S. I prefer the S. Cowon D2 > Turbo mini > PA2V2 (the latest version) > S. Very musical. When I replaced the Cardas mini with the Turbo mini (thanks mrarroyo), everything became bigger, including the bass.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #22 of 57
I'm in the same boat as the OP LOL I used to have the Atrio M5s and swore by them. But found a great deal for the ER4Ps, and couldn't resist after hearing all the positive feedback and all the members that swear by them. No turning back now
biggrin.gif

The wonderful airiness and sparkle is just amazing
smily_headphones1.gif
Everything just seems so "clear" with them. Too bad, mine are in for repairs
frown.gif
The sound just stopped after a while... eagerly awaiting their return though!

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #23 of 57
ER-4p or the closely related Altec IM716 are both excellent (the latter can sometimes be picked up cheaply on e-Bay - mine were BNIB for £30). If you want something cheaper with the same sound signature use the ER6i. Not many reviews or comments but Ety reckon the new HF2 is very close to the ER-4p. To get better (some?) bass I always use Etys with their Comply-like pink/orange foam tips. Fantastic isolation. BTW they work very well with most portable head amps.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went ahead and ordered them. Some day I'll have to try them with an S adapter to see if I like them more that way. Anyways thanks for the input everyone I'll tell you what I think when I receive them.

I think I'm planning on picking up a pair too to compare against my Atrio M5. This guy on eBay seems to have a very good price on S adapters, if you're interested:

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #26 of 57
A couple of questions/advice needed:

According to the ER4 userguide (pdf) the 4S has a higher "Response Accuracy" than the 4Ps (92% to 86%). While I like clean solid bass response, I don't require/prefer heavy bass in my SQ needs, with cleanness/clarity of mids and highs much more important to me. How do the 4S's sound unamped vs. the 4Ps? How much less bass? Overall "fullness" of sound over all ranges?

How do the ER4S/ER4Ps compare to the Denon 700/751s, which can be found for $40-$60 less than the ER4Ps? I understand the ETYs have the edge on comfort and isolation. How about SQ? Differences? Worth the extra money?

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of questions/advice needed:

According to the ER4 userguide (pdf) the 4S has a higher "Response Accuracy" than the 4Ps (92% to 86%). While I like clean solid bass response, I don't require/prefer heavy bass in my SQ needs, with cleanness/clarity of mids and highs much more important to me. How do the 4S's sound unamped vs. the 4Ps? How much less bass? Overall "fullness" of sound over all ranges?

How do the ER4S/ER4Ps compare to the Denon 700/751s, which can be found for $40-$60 less than the ER4Ps? I understand the ETYs have the edge on comfort and isolation. How about SQ? Differences? Worth the extra money?

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

I like my ER4S a lot but it requires a careful system matching to sound its best. Check this out: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/xin...ssions-233946/ He built his system around the ER4S.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #29 of 57
I prefer my ER-4P/S to E530, UM2, SA6 even with the universal tips. I purchased soft silicone custom tips for them and this made the sound much better.

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #30 of 57
Link to the soft silicone tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back