Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 8, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #632 of 40,629
Today I've embarked on a tremendously gratifying journey:​

Zeus & EQ
 ​
The beautifully symbolic flight of the Wright brothers around the Statue of Liberty in 1909​
 ​

Can't believe that this is the same Zeus I've had for more than a week. It feels like I got a brand new ciem.

The Sony ZX2 has limited EQ possibilities. Only 5 bands.  400 Hz  /  1K Hz  /  2.5K Hz  /  6K Hz  /  16K Hz              +10/-10 steps range, and the Clearboost Bass bar
Recap of my impressions of the Zeus XIV: I'm basically not fond of the full mids and midforward signature with too much polite treble which is a shame since I love how the drum kits sound; the sub bass' great, bass as well; all the volume effects are superbly presented; the detailed textures of the instruments give a joy to envision which is made effortless by how easy each are separated.

So my EQ plan for today was this:
400 Hz (+0)  /  1K Hz  (-1)  /  2.5K Hz (-1)  /  6K Hz (+7)  /   16K Hz  (+8)        Clearboost +0
Results: no more mid frontal assault, everything is evenly presented in tremendous detail. I finally get to bathe in the pleasure of the exquisite cymbal rolls and crashes.

It's the first time I experienced more joy listening to Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet than on my father's budget hi-fi room setup (B&W speakers, Marantz cd player, NAD amp).

When I played Koan Sound (neurofunk/glitch hop/drum & bass), I never got any sense of lack of speed, it was fantastic. I used their EP Forgotten Myths as a testing material at CanJam London with all the TOTL iems there. I wasn't amazed by anything in particular there, and am now glad I didn't spend a dime.

Now I'll fine tune this in the coming days, so I can get the most emphasis out of the treble in a long prolonged session without getting fatigue.

I'm very much impatient now about getting the DP-X1 for its PMEQ on top of its black low noise floor and lose myself in endless experimenting!

I keep coming back to how the Zeus materializes the volume of space around where the sounds come from. I'm impressed by it. The Zeus is a keeper

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #634 of 40,629
The wood/gold/Jupiter one looks rather, "Prestigious" won't you say? 
wink_face.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #635 of 40,629

Can't believe that this is the same Zeus I've had for more than a week. It feels like I got a brand new ciem.

The Sony ZX2 has limited EQ possibilities. Only 5 bands.  400 Hz  /  1K Hz  /  2.5K Hz  /  6K Hz  /  16K Hz              +10/-10 steps range, and the Clearboost Bass bar
Recap of my impressions of the Zeus XIV: I'm basically not fond of the full mids and midforward signature with too much polite treble which is a shame since I love how the drum kits sound; the sub bass' great, bass as well; all the volume effects are superbly presented; the detailed textures of the instruments give a joy to envision which is made effortless by how easy each are separated.

So my EQ plan for today was this:
400 Hz (+0)  /  1K Hz  (-1)  /  2.5K Hz (-1)  /  6K Hz (+7)  /   16K Hz  (+8)        Clearboost +0
Results: no more mid frontal assault, everything is evenly presented in tremendous detail. I finally get to bathe in the pleasure of the exquisite cymbal rolls and crashes.

It's the first time I experienced more joy listening to Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet than on my father's budget hi-fi room setup (B&W speakers, Marantz cd player, NAD amp).

When I played Koan Sound (neurofunk/glitch hop/drum & bass), I never got any sense of lack of speed, it was fantastic. I used their EP Forgotten Myths as a testing material at CanJam London with all the TOTL iems there. I wasn't amazed by anything in particular there, and am now glad I didn't spend a dime.

Now I'll fine tune this in the coming days, so I can get the most emphasis out of the treble in a long prolonged session without getting fatigue.

I'm very much impatient now about getting the DP-X1 for its PMEQ on top of its black low noise floor and lose myself in endless experimenting!

I keep coming back to how the Zeus materializes the volume of space around where the sounds come from. I'm impressed by it. The Zeus is a keeper

If the ZX2's modest EQ is able to do just that, the superb EQ found on the DP-X1 will do greater wonders. With an IEM like the Zeus, I think it scales very well with both sources and EQ tweaks. 
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #636 of 40,629

If the ZX2's modest EQ is able to do just that, the superb EQ found on the DP-X1 will do greater wonders. With an IEM like the Zeus, I think it scales very well with both sources and EQ tweaks. 
smile.gif

We don't mention it publicly much but none of our in-ear monitors utilize resistors, dampers, or filters to manipulate the frequencies. Zeus bends to your will and exacting preferences when needed via EQ (not all IEMs are EQ friendly). Musicians, engineers, and producers are having a total blast with the Olympus series right now, specifically Zeus and Apollo. During the development of Zeus we spent some quality time with several friends in the industry, notably Grammy Award winning artist and group Cory Henry and Snarky Puppy to pinpoint the exacting position of each instrument, mic, and vocalist (and trust me there are a TON in their recording sessions). We wanted to have laser precision accuracy with colossal amounts of detail while keeping our own flavor on tonality.

There's a lot of magic to be discovered in our IEMs and I hope that audiophiles will come to love the Olympians as much as the pro industry. We have some things in mind to take full advantage of our designs but it's going to take some time. I will however hint that it'll be planned for both Apple and Android platforms. 

BTW if there are any musicians on here we will be at the NAMM 2016 show in Anaheim, California! Last year there were more than 100,000 attendees from 100 different countries! We also have a few extra passes to share so if anyone wants to go just send me a PM! If not then I guess i'll see several of you at SoCal CanJam! =)

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #641 of 40,629
Dec 10, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #643 of 40,629

Yeah man, it went to Canada first, then got back to US and finally came to me. But it is not Jack's fault. USPS issue.. It was in a world tour. 

USPS postal workers should at least post impressions or write a review then 
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #645 of 40,629

Users who are viewing this thread

Back