Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 17, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #40,486 of 40,577
If it's the satin/matte gold version and not the shiny gold version, it's for sure the completely updated version with the stronger shell. By the time the satin/matte gold was in production, they had already made all the updates to the design.
This is not true because another problem has arisen. The current 2-pin female chassis is very loose, so the iem can easily fall! That's why I broke my Raven.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-13 at 10.45.35.jpeg

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #40,487 of 40,577
This is not true because another problem has arisen. The current 2-pin female chassis is very loose, so the iem can easily fall! That's why I broke my Raven.WhatsApp Image 2024-03-13 at 10.45.35.jpeg
Ouch, ‘really sorry to hear that mate. Had this unit been cable-rolled prior to the incident?

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #40,488 of 40,577
What's the 2 pin have to do with that? they fell free from the cable and smashed into a hard surface? that looks like a fall or significant over torque.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #40,490 of 40,577
What's the 2 pin have to do with that? they fell free from the cable and smashed into a hard surface? that looks like a fall or significant over torque.
The point is that I didn't anticipate the tightness of the sockets, some cables are fine (PW stock cable), but some (e.g. code 24) come loose when plugged in, without any resistance

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #40,491 of 40,577
Yes, I was changing to code 24c when the iem fell to the ground. It seems like EE only changed the socket and not the shell. I'm pretty sure that the new socket is larger than 0.78.
EE have definitely changed the shell from the V1… I can vouch for that, very different feel in the hand and also a change in the sound. There’s been a few IEMs I’ve bought lately which have slightly looser sockets (I think manufacturers are using a new socket which employs a spring to prevents loosening over time). Some cable brands are looser than others. I’ve had to use a sticky tab between the connector and IEM body as a sort of secondary fail safe on both Raven and VE X. The cables aren’t loose enough to come off without a tug but I have OCD when it comes to this stuff so better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #40,492 of 40,577
The point is that I didn't anticipate the tightness of the sockets, some cables are fine (PW stock cable), but some (e.g. code 24) come loose when plugged in, without any resistance
So it was a hard drop. Has nothing to do with the shell workmanship. As for the pins, without a micrometer who is to say its the pins or the connector. There's plenty of non-spec components out there. Especially if there are tight and loose cables in the same holes.

Edit: All I'm saying is before fingers start getting pointed, there's plenty of non-spec "high end" bull to go around. I'd point the finger at a 12$ termination on a "$800" cable before the connector if you had tight and loose results in the same female receptacle; this points to larger and smaller 2 pin male connectors from allegedly high end manufacturers charging premiums for simple components. **especially if the PW and EA cables fit differently**

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #40,493 of 40,577
So it was a hard drop. Has nothing to do with the shell workmanship. As for the pins, without a micrometer who is to say its the pins or the connector. There's plenty of non-spec components out there. Especially if there are tight and loose cables in the same holes.

Edit: All I'm saying is before fingers start getting pointed, there's plenty of non-spec "high end" bull to go around. I'd point the finger at a 12$ termination on a "$500" cable before the connector if you had tight and loose results in the same female receptacle; this points to larger and smaller 2 pin male connectors from allegedly high end manufacturers charging premiums for simple components. **especially if the PW and EA cables fit differently**
I fell it at the height of a bed so I don't know if that's a hard drop.
I can understand that the different materials used can cause problems with the socket tightness, but the Raven's socket tightness is not normal, when I connect some cable like code24, only a slight vibration and the whole IEM can fall off, this is really unacceptable lol

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #40,494 of 40,577
Yes, I was changing to code 24c when the iem fell to the ground. It seems like EE only changed the socket and not the shell. I'm pretty sure that the new socket is larger than 0.78.
It’s the unfortunate nature of aftermarket cables. Pins can vary on thickness depending on the vendor. @Tristy is right in that spring-loaded 2-pin sockets are the best prevention. Effect Audio in particular have had to recall their cables in the past for pins that were too thick. I wouldn’t be surprised if they accidentally made them too thin in an attempt to course-correct.

My rule-of-thumb, personally, is if the cable went in without any resistance whatsoever, then I either not use that cable at all, or I’m extremely careful when using the IEM. The former is more likely.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #40,496 of 40,577
I can understand that the different materials used can cause problems with the socket tightness, but the Raven's socket tightness is not normal, when I connect some cable like code24, only a slight vibration and the whole IEM can fall off, this is really unacceptable lol
I feel terrible that it happened, but it's really an Effect Audio issue. THAT'S what's unacceptable with a "luxury" or "high-end" accessory. I get that those MSRP's are the price to play in the space but the culprit really is out of spec male 2 pin connectors that are loosey goosey. How are the PW and other cables good to go with proper tension in the connector and the Code 24 not? See what I mean? I would be pissed too. It's far more likely the .78 connectors on the EA cable are out of spec than the PW batches they paired with hundreds of units.

**I am NO fan of PW cables. I think it's an absolute joke the stock cable they shipped with the Mest MK2 is a $500 MSRP replacement, nevermind the stock cable that ships with the EVO is effectively an Effect Audio Ares 2 (a $120 cable) with blue color in the plastic marketed as a "PW exclusive" **

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #40,497 of 40,577
+1 to this. My right gold satin raven are more loose on the 2pin socket with raven og cable. Slightly shaking on the 2pin connector, the cable will loose out from the iem socket. I change cable to pw 1960 ( traillii ) for more grip to the iem.

Even after changed to pw1960, the 2pin on the right iem are not hold firmly as the left unit with og raven cable.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #40,498 of 40,577
+1 to this. My right gold satin raven are more loose on the 2pin socket with raven og cable. Slightly shaking on the 2pin connector, the cable will loose out from the iem socket. I change cable to pw 1960 ( traillii ) for more grip to the iem.

Even after changed to pw1960, the 2pin on the right iem are not hold firmly as the left unit with og raven cable.
You changed cables though. This demonstrates is a male pin diameter issue on top of out of spec receptacles in your case. What a mess of quality control across the board.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #40,499 of 40,577
EE have definitely changed the shell from the V1… I can vouch for that, very different feel in the hand and also a change in the sound. There’s been a few IEMs I’ve bought lately which have slightly looser sockets (I think manufacturers are using a new socket which employs a spring to prevents loosening over time). Some cable brands are looser than others. I’ve had to use a sticky tab between the connector and IEM body as a sort of secondary fail safe on both Raven and VE X. The cables aren’t loose enough to come off without a tug but I have OCD when it comes to this stuff so better to be safe than sorry.
Could you explain the change in sound between v1 and v2? Did you manage to A/B them? I'm still holding on to my v1 -)

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #40,500 of 40,577

Same here...My right side is looser than my left side

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back