Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #40,502 of 40,577
I feel terrible that it happened, but it's really an Effect Audio issue. THAT'S what's unacceptable with a "luxury" or "high-end" accessory. I get that those MSRP's are the price to play in the space but the culprit really is out of spec male 2 pin connectors that are loosey goosey. How are the PW and other cables good to go with proper tension in the connector and the Code 24 not? See what I mean? I would be pissed too. It's far more likely the .78 connectors on the EA cable are out of spec than the PW batches they paired with hundreds of units.

**I am NO fan of PW cables. I think it's an absolute joke the stock cable they shipped with the Mest MK2 is a $500 MSRP replacement, nevermind the stock cable that ships with the EVO is effectively an Effect Audio Ares 2 (a $120 cable) with blue color in the plastic marketed as a "PW exclusive" **
I understand what you say.
Although the Raven has great sound quality and impressive tuning, it's concerning that EE seems to have recurring QC issues. I believe that addressing these issues would greatly enhance the overall experience for customers.

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #40,504 of 40,577
I understand what you say.
Although the Raven has great sound quality and impressive tuning, it's concerning that EE seems to have recurring QC issues. I believe that addressing these issues would greatly enhance the overall experience for customers.

Unsure how you interpreted the posts by Ohm and Deezel in this way?

At this point, strictly we are unable to know if it was Empire, Effect Audio or simply accidents do happen re dropping onto a hard floor, until an engineer looks at everything. I agree with the posts it is more likely the aftermarket cable or an accident, rather then Empire in this instance but we can speculate all day

This is what aftermarket cable manufacturers do not highlight: cable roll at your own risk. The IEM manufacturer warranty will almost certainly exclude liability for damage arising from use of unofficial accessories. That does not mean the IEM manufacturer will not investigate and offer solutions, they just need something in writing to protect themselves as a business

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #40,505 of 40,577

At this point, strictly we are unable to know if it was Empire, Effect Audio or simply accidents do happen re dropping onto a hard floor, until an engineer looks at everything. I agree with the posts it is more likely the aftermarket cable or an accident, rather then Empire in this instance but we can speculate all day

This is what aftermarket cable manufacturers do not highlight: cable roll at your own risk. The IEM manufacturer warranty will almost certainly exclude liability for damage arising from use of unofficial accessories. That does not mean the IEM manufacturer will not investigate and offer solutions, they just need something in writing to protect themselves as a business
I want to clarify that I am not trying to blame anyone for the issue at hand, EE also promised to repair it.
It's not just me who is facing this, and it's not limited to a particular brand. Another user has also reported the same problem in a post, and even some users in my area have faced this issue and but the agent didn't want to expose the incident in HK.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #40,506 of 40,577
I want to clarify that I am not trying to blame anyone for the issue at hand, EE also promised to repair it.
It's not just me who is facing this, and it's not limited to a particular brand. Another user has also reported the same problem in a post, and even some users in my area have faced this issue and but the agent didn't want to expose the incident in HK.
Thank you for pointing this out, we should always check how secure our connections are. :L3000: :beerchug:

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #40,507 of 40,577

Exactly. IEM manufacturers have much more to lose financially and reputation wise while aftermarket cable companies have nothing to lose if an IEM pops loose.

They have no implied or express liability for any outcomes for what gets plugged into their cables. Their margins are enormous and parts are relatively cheap.

Also what's the average warranty? As short as legally required or something that instills confidence in longevity the product?

(ANSWER)
EA 1 year, no matter if it's $100 or $5,000.

PW 1 year and they sell increasingly expensive extended warranty up to 3 years based on model (they expect failures and profit off mistakes or expected issues)

Penon Audio's cheap cables... 1 year.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #40,508 of 40,577
Exactly. IEM manufacturers have much more to lose financially and reputation wise while aftermarket cable companies have nothing to lose if an IEM pops loose.

They have no implied or express liability for any outcomes for what gets plugged into their cables. Their margins are enormous and parts are relatively cheap.
TBH, I recently rejoined Head-Fi after a 5 years hiatus and the Raven is my first pair of iem since then. I still recall purchasing the FitEar 335 CM for less than $1500 before. However, I have noticed that the cost-to-performance ratio on Head-Fi has changed significantly since then. Good quality headphones are now considerably more expensive lol

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #40,509 of 40,577
TBH, I recently rejoined Head-Fi after a 5 years hiatus and the Raven is my first pair of iem since then. I still recall purchasing the FitEar 335 CM for less than $1500 before. However, I have noticed that the cost-to-performance ratio on Head-Fi has changed significantly since then. Good quality headphones are now considerably more expensive lol
The price cap for TOTLs have increased significantly, yes, but I reckon the price-to-performance ratio overall hasn’t really changed. As much as a lot of these prices haven’t been seen before, they deliver never-before-heard performance too. And, $1000 IEMs now perform much better than $1000 IEMs then. There are obviously outliers here and there, but, for the most part, I think the industry’s currently in one of its best eras.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #40,511 of 40,577
I think the solution to the Raven problem is Novus !
The way I see it there’s no reason to buy a Raven anymore except for the shell size. Novus is an upgrade in all aspects isn’t it ?
The Novus is much bassier than the Raven, and it's far more expensive as well. I quite liked it at CanJam SG, actually, but it does carry that A&K collab tax heavily on its MSRP. I'll post impressions of it here when I finish my CanJam SG writeup; 'should be tonight or tomorrow.

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #40,513 of 40,577
I might be wrong but Novus doesn’t have WeaponX BCD. Anyone can confirm?
It has BCDs, but the Sonion ones that are also in the Canpur 622B, among others. AFAIK, it looks more like a BA driver - sound tube and all - so it's easier to implement than the Weapon X, which requires precise positioning, air volume calculations, etc. I think this is where most of the industry is headed as far as BCDs go, except for UM, who have their own thing going.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #40,515 of 40,577
Novus BCD’s

IMG_2827.jpeg

Raven / Odyssey / EVO BCD’s (Weapon X)

IMG_2828.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back