Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Apr 15, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #40,456 of 40,656
Also highly considering FiR Xe6.
That's a different beast. You probably won't go back to your LX after hearing those 🤣Definitely not a balanced set of IEM's
Going from the LX to the EVO you realize "wow! there's more" and the LX feels pretty veiled in comparison. XE6 kinda makes the LX obsolete for the specialization of bass-cannon. Sure you could go back and forth, but I have a feeling they'd be collecting dust.

While they're all expensive units, technology has pushed IEM's onward and upward from what yester-years TOTL was, even in this sub-specialty.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #40,457 of 40,656
EVO is worth it :wink: I did Nemesis > LX > EVO.
The EVO can do any genre while you'll realize the LX not quite so when side-by-side.
If you use these EE's for bass heavy genres stick with the EVO, if you're planning on branching out or don't listen to "EDM"/Hip-hop primarily, the Raven is a tad more on balance.

Basically... If you get the EVO you could part with the LX. If you went the Raven path, you'd probably want to keep your LX.
funny, to my ears Raven is a clear upgrade from EVO and I mostly listen to trance

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #40,458 of 40,656
Do you have the original Legend X, or the Evo?

I was listening to my OG LX yesterday, contemplating my upgrade path, but man, it's so good, it's hard to know where to go for "better". :)
I have the LX OG.

Somehow before the Raven arrived I always thought that it can replace LX.
But when it arrived I briefly listened to it, and man I was stunned.

The bass is so well executed, so detail, clean, and firm... I can hear the hollow space in the bass drum yet it is so tight and punchy, it doesn't bleed. Even on old recordings such as Kayak of Ruthless Queen, and Holiday of Scorpions, the bass is so well defined... even when the lows on the synthetizer is so transparent the ripples is clearly defined. I really am waiting for the low notes to hit, and when it hit man... Bang! it put smile on my face.

But all of that lows that is so well executed, it is not overpowering the sound, rather perfectly supporting the mids and high and put a hefty note weight. The position of the mids is just nice, that set a wide soundstage, might be one of the widest. The air around the instrument is clearly defined, even on the highs. Yes, the high is somethin' else so airy but no sibilance. cymbals is clearly separated from the rest of the high notes. Even when the drumstick hits the cymbals is so clear, on some recordings.

So the Raven is clearly on its own turf, so is the LX. For me the Raven shall exist in its own pedestal.
I shall be looking forward to have more amazing session with both the Raven and LX. When the Triton arrives and LX still holding its own, I am definitely going for an LX CIEM.

Hopefully my ramblings makes sense.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 20.48.17_accf738d.jpg

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #40,459 of 40,656
I have the LX OG.

The bass is so well executed, so detail, clean, and firm... I can hear the hollow space in the bass drum yet it is so tight and punchy, it doesn't bleed. Even on old recordings such as Kayak of Ruthless Queen, and Holiday of Scorpions, the bass is so well defined... even when the lows on the synthetizer is so transparent the ripples is clearly defined. I really am waiting for the low notes to hit, and when it hit man... Bang! it put smile on my face.

But all of that lows that is so well executed, it is not overpowering the sound, rather perfectly supporting the mids and high and put a hefty note weight. The position of the mids is just nice, that set a wide soundstage, might be one of the widest. The air around the instrument is clearly defined, even on the highs. Yes, the high is somethin' else so airy but no sibilance. cymbals is clearly separated from the rest of the high notes. Even when the drumstick hits the cymbals is so clear, on some recordings.

So the Raven is clearly on its own turf, so is the LX. For me the Raven shall exist in its own pedestal.
I shall be looking forward to have more amazing session with both the Raven and LX. When the Triton arrives and LX still holding its own, I am definitely going for an LX CIEM.

Makes perfect sense.

Triton may challenge the LX lovers like myself. It’s really hard to argue with its balance and execution while still being fun. At least, that’s where the demo was last at tuning wise.

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #40,460 of 40,656
I have the LX OG.

Thank you for your comparison!

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #40,461 of 40,656
I have the LX OG.

Pretty much nailed what I was saying with the Raven path :wink:
I couldn't justify hanging on to the LX with the too similar role to play but between those two, you're gonna want to keep the LX.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #40,462 of 40,656
That's a different beast. You probably won't go back to your LX after hearing those 🤣Definitely not a balanced set of IEM's
Going from the LX to the EVO you realize "wow! there's more" and the LX feels pretty veiled in comparison. XE6 kinda makes the LX obsolete for the specialization of bass-cannon. Sure you could go back and forth, but I have a feeling they'd be collecting dust.

While they're all expensive units, technology has pushed IEM's onward and upward from what yester-years TOTL was, even in this sub-specialty.
How does Xe6 compare with LX OG in clarity, air, and soundstage?

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #40,463 of 40,656
How does Xe6 compare with LX OG in clarity, air, and soundstage?
Superior in all aspects even in the face of that massive bass shelf "bleeding" out and down to 1KHZ. LX has roughly +5dB more energy at 20Hz but the XE6 shelf is "flat" from 200 down. It's kind of an enigma how they managed to do it with that much low end (~+12dB from 1KhZ)

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #40,464 of 40,656
Superior in all aspects even in the face of that massive bass shelf "bleeding" out and down to 1KHZ. LX has roughly +5dB more energy at 20Hz but the XE6 shelf is "flat" from 200 down. It's kind of an enigma how they managed to do it with that much low end (~+12dB from 1KhZ)
Sounds like a winner.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #40,465 of 40,656
I have the LX OG.

As I've had more time with the set now this has been my take as well. The amount of bass they've managed to cram into these things while still keeping everything else so clean, well separated, and generally normal sounding is just insane. Don't know if I've heard much else like it.

I will say that after some time really experimenting with tip rolling, I am back on the final E's. I think Raven really needs those narrow bores, and most of the wide bore stuff in the end seemed like it was messing with vocal presentation a bit - making some female vocals sound a bit peaky to my ears. Totally brings things back in line switching over to the narrow bores.

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #40,466 of 40,656
As I've had more time with the set now this has been my take as well. The amount of bass they've managed to cram into these things while still keeping everything else so clean, well separated, and generally normal sounding is just insane. Don't know if I've heard much else like it.

I will say that after some time really experimenting with tip rolling, I am back on the final E's. I think Raven really needs those narrow bores, and most of the wide bore stuff in the end seemed like it was messing with vocal presentation a bit - making some female vocals sound a bit peaky to my ears. Totally brings things back in line switching over to the narrow bores.
Which wide bores did you get that on? I found the sprial dot++'s to do that. More width which was cool depending on the track but harsh female vocals. Crystals not at all, but Xelastec sometimes with certain registers.

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #40,467 of 40,656
Which wide bores did you get that on? I found the sprial dot++'s to do that. More width which was cool depending on the track but harsh female vocals. Crystals not at all, but Xelastec sometimes with certain registers.
Bunch of generic ones, xelastics, sedna light shorts, some spinfit omnis that I crammed on there and really liked the fit but not the sound of etc. Almost universally it was as you describe - wider sounding which kept me going down that path since it made the Raven sound so open, but ultimately the trade-offs weren't worth it in the end for my tastes.

Maybe someone else with a bigger tip collection will find the happy medium at some point, but for now Finals it is.

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #40,468 of 40,656
Bunch of generic ones, xelastics, sedna light shorts, some spinfit omnis that I crammed on there and really liked the fit but not the sound of etc. Almost universally it was as you describe - wider sounding which kept me going down that path since it made the Raven sound so open, but ultimately the trade-offs weren't worth it in the end for my tastes.

Maybe someone else with a bigger tip collection will find the happy medium at some point, but for now Finals it is.
Same here with the Odyssey, came back to the stock final E. I must add I have now paired the Odyssey with the code 24 and oh my what a difference, I never gave cable swapping much credence until the 24 and it has opened the Odyssey right up now to a point that I'm not even curious about trying anything else......for now 😉

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #40,469 of 40,656
Do you have the original Legend X, or the Evo?

I was listening to my OG LX yesterday, contemplating my upgrade path, but man, it's so good, it's hard to know where to go for "better". :)
I have had EVO as well! I really enjoyed EVO and reviewed it. To my ears the Raven is next level in technicality. Actually, next level in almost all fashions.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #40,470 of 40,656
I really liked the EVO take on sprucing up the LX with the new drivers and tuning knowledge gained through R&D... I can honestly say though that I get an immeasurable amount more of overall enjoyment from Raven. It is truly a large leap between the two *IF* you enjoy EVO quality bass with more lush but defined mids and farrrrrr more extended treble in comparison. If you like bassy, dense-r, baseline treble with a sprinkle of new-age technical prowess, the EVO is a hard one to topple. I know many people swear by the Xe6 but for me that bass bloat didn't work with my library.

For me though, Raven surpasses everything EE has released. It just works, it's dialed in. It is their showcase of everything they have done well and put it into one product. The wonky issues at release probably didn't stoke the flame but in typical EE fashion, I see it being a staple down the line as its experienced more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back