electrostatic withdrawls
Feb 13, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #16 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
it's nice and warm which is how i like it... i guess that's why i never got rid of my mg heads... but i think i'll give the 404s one more shot.

Nice...
Warm...
Heads...
One more shot...
Is that how you like it?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
It's one of those Head-Fi posts gone bad!!!

LOL.

BANGPOD

Feb 13, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #17 of 73
In all seriousness, though, I can't quite tell from his last post what he truly feels about his 404's. "I think i'll give the 404s one more shot" and " I really haven't had either the amp or the headphones long enough to really get used to the electrostatic sound" leaves a lot open to interpretation.

Feb 13, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #18 of 73
With hd600>mg head otl mkII>rega planet I must humbly admit that I am having difficulty feeling your pain. That rig alone makes most of us drool.

Feb 13, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #19 of 73
A pair of K1000's will cure your electrostatic blues.
wink.gif

Well, actually, that's more like trading one disease for an even worse one.....
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Feb 13, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #20 of 73
Sorry, guys...

I was unbelievably drunk writing the last post.
wink.gif

I don't even know NOW what I was writing THEN.

Again, sorry about that, guys. LOL.

BANGPOD

Feb 13, 2004 at 12:16 PM Post #21 of 73
Doug,

Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
That's for sure. Man, whenever I swap over to my dynamic cans the sounds is SO much worse that I can almost not listen to it any more. I did do a stint of about three weeks without listnening to the Stax cans, and will likely go another two or so soon in an attempt to lessen some tinnitus bothering me. The sad part is I listen so low during normal listening that I am convinced that the problem is the home theater system more than anything.

Do electrostatic cans cause tinnitus more easily than dynamic ones? Are they much more agressive?

Thanks,
Alex
580smile.gif

Feb 13, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #22 of 73
This is off topic but...I am sure those cans sounds great but could they possibly have made them any more butt ugly than they are?

Design team:

scientist1: "Lets make them look like bricks attached to the head!"

scientist2: "Yeah! And we should color them puke brown!!"

scientist1: "Great idea!"

Of course, looks aren't everything. Hey, I wear my ety's and don't care how I look with them on.

Feb 13, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #23 of 73
I was wondering when someone would remark on the color!
tongue.gif
It's really all just a matter of taste; the color works perfectly in my decor, believe it or not. It looks awesome, even matches the SRE-15N perfectly. Maybe a set of pictures will prove that, in the right setting, the color is fantastic.
Quote:

Do electrostatic cans cause tinnitus more easily than dynamic ones? Are they much more agressive?

I don't know, it's possible. Not because they are "agressive", but because they aren't . I know that sounds weird but, because electrostat sound just "appears" you have very little sensation of the actual volume you are listening to. When you listen to dynamics loud you can feel the enclosures vibrate, you can feel the pressure waves against your skin, and your mind tells you "loud". Electrostats seem to produce sound effortlessly, the music just "appears", and it doesn't seem like they are doing very much to create that sound. It's like, you are "speeding" at 125MPH...using a McLaren F1. It might be fast, but the machine is like "Ho hum. Is this all you're gonna use of me??" So you find that, unless you are really careful, you listen to your electrostats louder than you really think you should. You don't realize this until...you take them off. And then "Holy s!#t. I was listening loud"

Feb 13, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #24 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Altorfer
Doug,

Thanks,
Alex

Alex,

No, I don't think they are. They are MUCH more neutral than my other cans with the possible exception of the Grado HP-1000 I sold a year ago. They are not more aggressive, but the tinnitus is really due to listening to the home theater system, not the Stax system.

Feb 13, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #25 of 73
OBTW, my listening levels are so low it isn't funny. I use about 5 clicks on the DACT volume control, which equates to roughly 65dB or so to my ears. I can hold a conversation with my wife while listening to my cans, and can still hear the fans of my computer perfectly. So, volume levels of my Stax aren't an issue. Every single person who puts my headphones on, whether they were the Sony CD3K or the Stax to a man they all tell me to turn them up. They end up with about 12 clicks on the DACT.

Feb 13, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
I completely understand. I sold my SRM-313 last Wednesday and have been without Stax since. My KGSS is shipping this week, I believe, so hopefully I will not starve much longer. I NEED MUSIC!
frown.gif

Life will be bad without headphone.

Feb 13, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #27 of 73
I find your impressions of the MG head/hd600s interesting. Personally, I simply couldn't go back to my mg head/580s after having my v2/225 system for a few weeks. The midrange hole became extremely noticeable and annoying. Do you notice a similar effect?

Feb 13, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #28 of 73
yeah, i suppose it's not as detailed nor does it present the instrument separation that the stax/kgss does, but there's just something about the tube sound that i'll always have a soft spot for. i need to spend more time with my 006t in comparison to the kgss to find out the major differences there as well, when i get the 404s back that is......

Feb 13, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #29 of 73
Paul,

Also look into tuberolling the 006t to see about adding some more tube warmth to it by some RCA clear tops or something like it. Hirsch, Nik, and a few others have swapped the tubes around and reported quite an improvement in sound.

Feb 13, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #30 of 73
yeah, doug, i'm sure you're right. i guess i'm waiting for some of those tubes to fall into my lap. i have done the ebay thing and the internet tube shopping thing and have come up empty handed. if you know someone who has a matched pair or if anybody knows someone with a matched pair who wants to part with them i'd be happy to take them off their hands. but someone would have to tutor me in how to roll them in, i understand you have to do something on the inside of the amp to make sure the tubes work properly???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back