Eggos + Sony minidisc
Apr 8, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #76 of 102
I own a Sony MZR50 also, i decided to test its recording abilities after i purchased one, so i hooked it up to my dvd player via the optical out...it sounds ok, a little dull, lacking that treble richness i get with my Type R deck. Same kind of sound quality i got out of an old Sony MD deck (which also recorded in Atrac 4.0) when i had it hooked up as a analog connection with my cd deck. If you hear a MD recording done on Atrac 4.5 (the MXD-D5C drops down to 4.5 when using high speed dubbing) or Type R (aka SP mode), its a world of difference in sound quality compared to the Atrac 4.0 scheme the R50 uses. I tell you, vinyl never sounded better when i dub it to MD with the MXD-D5C deck.

For whatever reason, i really do prefer the sound of my Sony MZE75 over every pcdp i own, it sounds great to my ears (joelongwood should know).

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 2:52 PM Post #77 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Huh? They have the better ATRAC, right? Is it the amplification then that's worse?

Yeah, he's probably referring to the amplification. The MT831 is made by Sharp.

The MD recorder is only as good as the version of Atrac is records in, the MZR50 has 4.0, which is ok, but the quality does take quite a leap with 4.5.

Apr 8, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #78 of 102
wait a minute, I do think that some people here has a confusion about ATARC version.
Any unit prior R900 only has SP mode, whose compression format is called "ATARC", and any unit after has "MDLP" function, whose compression could choose "LP2" or "LP4", both are called "ATARC3" function. ATARC3 is more compressed than ATARC, obviously the sound quality is worse. But don't worry since these units still keep the SP mode so you can still choose it when you are recording.
but are we talking about sound quality of the unit or the data format? If we directly compare the wave form of the data, any compression data will be definitely worse than redbook CD format. But if we are talking about the sound quality of the unit, we are talking about if the unit has the build-in headamp with high fidelity. For this sense, SONY is making their units smaller and smaller, plus the playback time is longer and longer. The side effect is that the soundqulity is worse and worse comparing with the prior cousins, even if they are playing the same format music.

Apr 8, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #79 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
For whatever reason, i really do prefer the sound of my Sony MZE75 over every pcdp i own, it sounds great to my ears (joelongwood should know).

smily_headphones1.gif

and me
wink.gif

The E75 is a pretty damned cool player, to me though, the treble seems to be a slight case of 'all or nothing', with one setting things seem a little dull, yet the next level up sears your ears...

Maybe i'll have to tweak my recordings a little... but I think I could say that the E75 sounds better than the N707

Apr 8, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #80 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Yeah, he's probably referring to the amplification. The MT831 is made by Sharp.

The MD recorder is only as good as the version of Atrac is records in, the MZR50 has 4.0, which is ok, but the quality does take quite a leap with 4.5.

I'm referring of course to the amplification in the minidisc unit itself. My MXZ-R50 seems excellent.

Apr 12, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #81 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
yes, on type-R/type-S machines, SP recording can sound just like the original cd

sony dvd player >digitally> sony mz-n10
mz-n10 >no amp> D66 eggo = OMG....sounds just too good, serisouly cant hear any difference between the orginal cd

Of course not...D66's? You'll really hear the difference with higher-end phones.

Apr 13, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #86 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
It's Sharp's Auvi Portable MDR. Info is here and here. I have one, as well as me & joelongwood to name a few more.

Thanks, but I already have extra batteries and DC converters/chargers for the R50, so I guess I'll stay with that one.

Apr 13, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #87 of 102
[size=xx-small]Mike -- I know it hurts like hell when your MZ-R50 dies. Mine died a little less than a year ago. The Sony MZ-N707 sounds AWESOME, and you can get one dirt cheap now that the newer models are out. It drives the eggos great, looks cool, and has some pretty flexible EQ too. Plus you can do some cool things on the computer with it. MZ-R50 repairs are notoriously expensive, and the MZ-N505 /MZ-N707 model year really was a super model year for quality minidisc recorders from Sony. [/size]
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
My MZ-R50 seems to have just died tonight. Anybody know how much it costs to fix them?

Apr 13, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #88 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
[size=xx-small]Mike -- I know it hurts like hell when your MZ-R50 dies. Mine died a little less than a year ago. The Sony MZ-N707 sounds AWESOME, and you can get one dirt cheap now that the newer models are out. It drives the eggos great, looks cool, and has some pretty flexible EQ too. Plus you can do some cool things on the computer with it. MZ-R50 repairs are notoriously expensive, and the MZ-N505 /MZ-N707 model year really was a super model year for quality minidisc recorders from Sony. [/size]

Several folks here have commented negatively about the sound of the newer ones. I had previously considered the newer ones until I read that.

Apr 13, 2003 at 9:46 AM Post #89 of 102
I've read the MZ-R50 is one of the few recorders worth repairing, due to its robust construction. At the very least, get an estimate.

Apr 13, 2003 at 10:39 AM Post #90 of 102
The R50/R55 (both use the same pickup) definetly aren't bad units, but wouldn't the newer ATRAC make for less audible artefacts?

I personally prefer the sound of the N707 to the R55... BUT, that could just be how i've been 'groomed' lately, listening to the N707 lots, and the R55 very rarely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back