Eggos + Sony minidisc
Apr 7, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #61 of 102
if you record cd to md digitally on SP mode, your recorded MD can sound soo close to the original cd than you can not hear the difference

Apr 7, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #62 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
if you record cd to md digitally on SP mode, your recorded MD can sound soo close to the original cd than you can not hear the difference

What's SP mode? I have an MZ-R50, and I don't have SP mode switch.

Apr 7, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #63 of 102
Anything prior to the MZ-R900 was SP only.
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #64 of 102
haha, Superbaldguy is perfectly right.
but even SP mode is not VERY close to CD. I believe most people here can tell the difference. if you would pay 100 bucks for IC, you can easily tell the difference between different CDPs and different formats on portable stuffs.

Apr 7, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #65 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by diablo9
haha, Superbaldguy is perfectly right.
but even SP mode is not VERY close to CD. I believe most people here can tell the difference. if you would pay 100 bucks for IC, you can easily tell the difference between different CDPs and different formats on portable stuffs.

I'm extremely pleased with the sound quality of the minidisc in the form of my MZ-R50. How close is it to CD? I'm not sure I can hear the difference with dynamic headphones.

Apr 7, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #66 of 102
The SP recordings I make on my MXD-D5C deck (ATRAC Type-R) actually sound BETTER than the original CD, IMHO. The encoding process seems to add a certain sheen or sparkle to the recording.

The MZ-R50 had an older ATRAC version (4.0?) and the sonic differences may be more apparent between CD and MD. Still, it's hard to dipsute that SP recordings can be superb - not bad for a "lossy" format.

Apr 7, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #67 of 102
yes, on type-R/type-S machines, SP recording can sound just like the original cd

sony dvd player >digitally> sony mz-n10
mz-n10 >no amp> D66 eggo = OMG....sounds just too good, serisouly cant hear any difference between the orginal cd

Apr 8, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #68 of 102
[size=xx-small]I made a lot of recordings with the R50, in ATRAC 4 of course. Sounded damn good to me. I found the recordings played back better on a full-sized deck than on the R50 -- the recordings were better than the playback capabilities of the R50. Which is saying something.[/size]

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
I'm extremely pleased with the sound quality of the minidisc in the form of my MZ-R50. How close is it to CD? I'm not sure I can hear the difference with dynamic headphones.

Apr 8, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #69 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
[size=xx-small]I made a lot of recordings with the R50, in ATRAC 4 of course. Sounded damn good to me. I found the recordings played back better on a full-sized deck than on the R50 -- the recordings were better than the playback capabilities of the R50. Which is saying something.[/size]

Agreed. The R50 is super, but I was unaware that it was so highly prized. I thought the newer ones were even better.

Apr 8, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #70 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Agreed. The R50 is super, but I was unaware that it was so highly prized. I thought the newer ones were even better.

actually worse, if we are talking about the sound quality...
I happened to listen to R90 and R900, N1 by my own. trust me, they are worse and worse...

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:19 AM Post #71 of 102
Recordings using a newer ATRAC sound better than an older one. The R50 is the best sounding unit that combines practicality (new word?) with sound. Although...
It may be:
MT831/R50 tied
then the DR7.
Then the E10/710 etc.

Apr 8, 2003 at 8:45 AM Post #72 of 102
cool! I should forget MT831... that's really a decent unit

Apr 8, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #74 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er

Yes, I have a fibre-optic cord that plugs into the rear of my 508ESD CDP, and all I have to do is push "record": everything is digitally recorded and controlled.

Apr 8, 2003 at 2:16 PM Post #75 of 102
Quote:

Originally posted by diablo9
actually worse, if we are talking about the sound quality...
I happened to listen to R90 and R900, N1 by my own. trust me, they are worse and worse...

Huh? They have the better ATRAC, right? Is it the amplification then that's worse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back