Eddie Current - Black Widow, Solid State Headphone AMP Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #62 of 363
What about DAC pairing with the BW?
Im so confused when it comes to the DAC and after lots of searching i may get the Audio GD NFB7
Dose any one have a better recommendation?
Will use the BW with HD800 and Classical music 

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #63 of 363
Im so confused when it comes to the DAC and after lots of searching i may get the Audio GD NFB7

Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry for your wallet...

I do not wish to de-rail this thread with any suggestion. However, I personally found the threads linked below, not specifically useful in finding a single DAC, but good introduction to the many DAC options and many DAC option opinions out there:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison
http://www.head-fi.org/t/763905/finding-a-dac-for-the-cavalli-liquid-carbon-only-four-months-to-go

Best of luck!

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #64 of 363

A very personal choice.  But I'll be using this one with the BW.  I'm already using the V2 version of the same DAC with my Zana Deux S and it's a match made in heaven.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #65 of 363

Get a geek 450 on sale (should be less than $100) then read the massive thread (if you want to) too see if their I any upgrade you feel you need. The v2 isn't good for pure dac duties.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #67 of 363
My understanding is that there are no guarantees regarding future BW availability and that costs will be significantly higher than the first run. Copperhead is now the mainstay EC SS amp.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #68 of 363

Well, one might want to consider the Schiit Gungnir MB.  Not that there's anything wrong with Audio GD stuff.  But they are intentionally making the new 1 chassis amp Gungnir width, as if on purpose....
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #69 of 363

Well, one might want to consider the Schiit Gungnir MB.  Not that there's anything wrong with Audio GD stuff.  But they are intentionally making the new 1 chassis amp Gungnir width, as if on purpose....
wink.gif

That's the one I'd be using (if this thing is released) - my Black Gungnir Multibit with Black Widow 
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #70 of 363
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry for your wallet...

I do not wish to de-rail this thread with any suggestion. However, I personally found the threads linked below, not specifically useful in finding a single DAC, but good introduction to the many DAC options and many DAC option opinions out there:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison
http://www.head-fi.org/t/763905/finding-a-dac-for-the-cavalli-liquid-carbon-only-four-months-to-go

Best of luck!

Thanks
Will read it

A very personal choice.  But I'll be using this one with the BW.  I'm already using the V2 version of the same DAC with my Zana Deux S and it's a match made in heaven.

Its a very interesting DAC specially because its R2R but sadly its over my budget

Get a geek 450 on sale (should be less than $100) then read the massive thread (if you want to) too see if their I any upgrade you feel you need. The v2 isn't good for pure dac duties.

Nice.. I may get the v2 as a portable option but i wonder how it compares to the groove that has a 4 ess dac per channel and priced also at 300$ but it didnt do DSD like the V2
Well, one might want to consider the Schiit Gungnir MB.  Not that there's anything wrong with Audio GD stuff.  But they are intentionally making the new 1 chassis amp Gungnir width, as if on purpose....:wink:  

Yes i considered also the the gungnir MB but its just that the saber can play DSD, DXD over the AD chip also i have the modi2 and its not really compatible with my mac while it work fine on PC and im afraid the gumby will be the same

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #71 of 363
I was told they were going to a better us made power supply with the schiit Dac aspect ration. Looking like January they will start contacting folks who have sent order forms.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #72 of 363
Finally found a BW of my own. Was going to go with the new single chassis avialable for order right now thru EC, but have been having trouble selling off the last of my required gear when an original with separate power supply came available within my available funds. It should be here Friday - needless to say, I am very excited to have one back in the house.

For those concerned about the single chassis change like I was, after discussions with Purrin, I feel confident that it should be looked at as an upgrade for smoother treble. Only tubes are affected by the transformer causing hum, but the BW is a SS. The power supply is upgraded in the new version to run hotter for better SQ. We shall see when they are released and we get a comparison.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #73 of 363
Barracongrats.ive been waiting since last June and looks like it will be next month or two. Yours may be one of a few that have balanced outs on it. The new run will only have se due to space on the front panel on the unit. Enjoy

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #74 of 363
Barracongrats.ive been waiting since last June and looks like it will be next month or two. Yours may be one of a few that have balanced outs on it. The new run will only have se due to space on the front panel on the unit. Enjoy

Thx Ray, I am pretty excited. However, I wasn't aware the dual SE/balanced option was going away. It looks like it is still there in the rendering.

BWpic.png

http://www.eddiecurrent.com/BWpic.png

The dual output is a big deal for me having moved from a balanced mjolnir standardized on balanced cables. The SE as well provides great versatility in auditioning HPs. Are you sure the balanced output is gone?

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #75 of 363
Thx Ray, I am pretty excited. However, I wasn't aware the dual SE/balanced option was going away. It looks like it is still there in the rendering.

BWpic.png

http://www.eddiecurrent.com/BWpic.png

The dual output is a big deal for me having moved from a balanced mjolnir standardized on balanced cables. The SE as well provides great versatility in auditioning HPs. Are you sure the balanced output is gone?
Marv confirmed that with us, there will be a Jensen isobox sold separately if anyone still chooses to use xlr. Shat phones are you pairing with the amp. My chain will be BW>bimby>800,650,t1, 560.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back