Eddie Current - Black Widow, Solid State Headphone AMP Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #16 of 363
BW has single-ended inputs:  RCA.  Helps Delta-Sigma DACs, IMO.  Many will want to use with Yggy but I have been happy with PWD > BW and I had both in-house with the loaner. I suspect this amp will be great for most people.  Craig should sell a boatload of these.  

I just got my original Zana Deux back (non-SE) and I'm lucky that I can keep both.  Will compare over time.  I know I'll use the BW on a daily basis and not sweat leaving it on all the time.  Balancing Act had the biggest headstage and with KR PX-4 I think was the best for mellowing out the HD800 but for a couple of different reasons I sold it.  I think I will end up using HD600 with original Zana Deux (or a Craig prototype that I have out on loan) and HD800/X1 with the BW.

I think the new Zana Deux Super is a better match with HD800 (than original non-SE version) from hearing it at two meets.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #17 of 363
  BW has single-ended inputs:  RCA.  Helps Delta-Sigma DACs, IMO.  Many will want to use with Yggy but I have been happy with PWD > BW and I had both in-house with the loaner. I suspect this amp will be great for most people.  Craig should sell a boatload of these.  

I just got my original Zana Deux back (non-SE) and I'm lucky that I can keep both.  Will compare over time.  I know I'll use the BW on a daily basis and not sweat leaving it on all the time.  Balancing Act had the biggest headstage and with KR PX-4 I think was the best for mellowing out the HD800 but for a couple of different reasons I sold it.  I think I will end up using HD600 with original Zana Deux (or a Craig prototype that I have out on loan) and HD800/X1 with the BW.

I think the new Zana Deux Super is a better match with HD800 (than original non-SE version) from hearing it at two meets.

Thanks for your impressions CEE TEE. Nice setup!
The loaner isn't The Studio by any chance?

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #19 of 363
^^The prototype I have is a very reworked zana deux proto in an old Moth single chassis. Great with HD600! (When I said loaner, I had BW loaner and now have production BW. Also have loaned out Zana/Moth proto. Not in pic.)

^My HD800 are creatology foam plus shelf liner modded.

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #20 of 363

Yes, it comes with what appears to be the same separate power supply that comes with the ZD. However, I don't get the wall wort that plugs into the additional 12v power input plug to try swapping to test the difference. The power supply is heavy and well built and the umbilical cord is stout. The BW feels light in comparison, but has an equally impressive build quality.

Glad to see that you were able to get a black widow loanar.  Ditch the hd700 and get a hd650!

The HD650 is a great headphone, but I already have the LCD2.2 which has a similar signature, but IMO does everything better. At my TOTL HP shootout, the HD650/600 didn't get much love while the LCD2.2 and HD800 stole the show through the ZD.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717989/totl-hp-shootout-oppo-pm-1-hd800-lcd2-2-t1-he500-fostex-th900-hd650-hd600

I decided to go with the HD700 over the 800 which are closer in signature because the 700 is a little more engaging and intimate as well as more versatile. The 800 just takes too much on the front end to sound great. However, I am considering trading the 700s up for the PMx2 which you will want to hear if you like the 650. While the PMx2 is an OPPO mod, it is a whole different beast and very unique to any other TOTL HP.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766713/audio-zenith-pmx2-impressions-page

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #21 of 363
  Barra, since you heard the Zana, BA and 2A3, how would you compare them?

Never got a chance to compare side by side with the same gear in a controlled environment to give you a proper comparison. The BA paired with the LCD2.2 was auditioned at a Seattle meet using someone else's music, years ago before I knew anything about audio equipment. The Audeze LCD2.2 just came out at the time and I credited the LCD for the immense SQ that I was hearing and bought one immediately but quickly found out that the LCD was only part of the equation. I haven't been able to hear the BA since, but can tell you that it left a lasting impression. However, there is no way that I can give you any perspective vs. the others.

A couple friends have the original ZD - one which I have heard many times and have hosted TOTL HP shootouts with so I have a very good perspective of that one. The same friend purchased the 2a3 which I heard a couple times in comparison, which wowed me on having the biggest sound stage I have ever heard - much bigger wow than a dialed in HD800. However, he had not gotten it dialed in or burnt in yet when he took on a new job and dropped out of the scene for quite a while. I hope to hear where it is at now soon. So compared to the ZD, I liked the ZD better as it was not such a departure from the familiar, but the 2a3 definitely has potential to sound wonderous and I am anxious to hear it again burned in and dialed in with the right tubes.

The new ZD was auditioned a couple weeks ago not having heard the original in close to a year, but if my memory is right, I feel it is another step in the right direction. However, again that is conjecture as I didn't have them side by side. But it brings me closer to listening to the new Schitt ROK and I am thinking that I like the tube sound better. Don't get me wrong, the ROK is awesome and has some perks, but the ZD has something about it that I really vibe with if that makes sense.

What would be a great shootout is the ROK vs. the BW which are closer in price. A blind listening test may surprise people. The BW has a lot of that magic that the ZD has.

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #22 of 363
The HD650 is a great headphone, but I already have the LCD2.2 which has a similar signature, but IMO does everything better. At my TOTL HP shootout, the HD650/600 didn't get much love while the LCD2.2 and HD800 stole the show through the ZD.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717989/totl-hp-shootout-oppo-pm-1-hd800-lcd2-2-t1-he500-fostex-th900-hd650-hd600

I decided to go with the HD700 over the 800 which are closer in signature because the 700 is a little more engaging and intimate as well as more versatile. The 800 just takes too much on the front end to sound great. However, I am considering trading the 700s up for the PMx2 which you will want to hear if you like the 650. While the PMx2 is an OPPO mod, it is a whole different beast and very unique to any other TOTL HP.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766713/audio-zenith-pmx2-impressions-page

I see, well a suggestion due to the synergy that they had with the black widow but as long you enjoy the music.

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #23 of 363
Added more content and pictures as promised to the first post. The content is getting close to done, but so far is just a collection of notes from various listening sessions that I will need to clean up before declaring victory.

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 363
Added more content and pictures as promised to the first post. The content is getting close to done, but so far is just a collection of notes from various listening sessions that I will need to clean up before declaring victory.
"Barra" fantastic pictures. September can't seem to get here soon enough. Really looking forward to this gem. Thanks

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #26 of 363
I have not had a great deal of experience comparing headphone amps; however, when I heard one of the Eddie Current
amps at the NYC meet a few years ago, it made a real impression on me.  I knew Craig Uthus had a specific vision.  In Tyll Hertsens' Big Sound test, Roy (Romaz) was very impressed with the Black Widow.  He choose it as one of the best  amps to pair with all 4 of his favorite headphones.  That is saying something!

Big Sound 2015 Roy (Romaz) Nails It!
By Tyll Hertsens • Posted: Sep 8, 2015

Don't miss the video below for the details, but his basic conclusions follow. His four favorite cans followed by his three favorite amps to drive them:
HiFiMAN HE-1000 - HeadAmp GS-X; TTVJ Teton; Eddy Current Black Widow
Enigmacoustics Dharma - Woo WA234; HeadAmp GS-X; Simaudio 430HA/Black Widow toss-up
Mr. Speakers Ether - Woo WA234; Black Widow/GS-X toss-up; Simaudio 430HA
HD 800 - Bakoon; Teton; Woo WA234/Black Widow toss-up
Don't miss his detailed comments in the video below! Good stuff.

He talks about the amp beginning at the 11:15 minute mark in the video.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-roy-romaz-nails-it#GWuwBYHl3YRUk1jB.97

Bugs

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #27 of 363
  I have not had a great deal of experience comparing headphone amps; however, when I heard one of the Eddie Current
amps at the NYC meet a few years ago, it made a real impression on me.  I knew Craig Uthus had a specific vision.  In Tyll Hertsens' Big Sound test, Roy (Romaz) was very impressed with the Black Widow.  He choose it as one of the best  amps to pair with all 4 of his favorite headphones.  That is saying something!

Big Sound 2015 Roy (Romaz) Nails It!
By Tyll Hertsens • Posted: Sep 8, 2015

Don't miss the video below for the details, but his basic conclusions follow. His four favorite cans followed by his three favorite amps to drive them:
HiFiMAN HE-1000 - HeadAmp GS-X; TTVJ Teton; Eddy Current Black Widow
Enigmacoustics Dharma - Woo WA234; HeadAmp GS-X; Simaudio 430HA/Black Widow toss-up
Mr. Speakers Ether - Woo WA234; Black Widow/GS-X toss-up; Simaudio 430HA
HD 800 - Bakoon; Teton; Woo WA234/Black Widow toss-up
Don't miss his detailed comments in the video below! Good stuff.

He talks about the amp beginning at the 11:15 minute mark in the video.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-roy-romaz-nails-it#GWuwBYHl3YRUk1jB.97

Bugs

I have it on good authority that Hans, the guy who won the contest and is at Tyll's this weekend, is going to have a bit to say about the Black Widow when he finishes up too :wink:  

Hopefully both of their impressions help drive some foot traffic to this thread.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #29 of 363
As a side note, this is the same BW that I was listening to - it shipped to Tyll after me. The sound quality was stellar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back