Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Feb 10, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #301 of 992
  Anyone else notice any distortion while listening to louder/bassier moments?  I've experienced it with various styles of music at low volume via my iPhone 6 Plus (no EQ or volume normalization in the phone's settings or in Spotify, Amazon Music, etc).  It's very surprising to me.  I suspected that the audio recordings themselves were to blame, and I suppose that's still possible, but it seems unlikely, considering the fact that one of the tracks is the Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky (various moments with sudden strikes of timpani/percussion/low horns).

If anyone wants to give the Firebird Suite a listen with their Finders (or analyze the waveform to see if it is, in fact, a problem with peaking on the recording itself), the album can be identified in Spotify and/or Amazon Music by clicking the Spotify link below or recognizing the following album art (there are several recordings of this song, so recognizing the album art is the only way I can recommend locating the exact track):

https://open.spotify.com/track/0QJMyl8GtRNFgl3a1RNqA2 

At about 15:18, the timpani strikes kick in; you can hear the distortion on each strike, but it's more apparent on some than others.

Another track that exhibits distortion:
"Hungover on Heartache" by Cam (pretty much every bass drum hit)
https://open.spotify.com/track/2DgD0JLwGiSPUHvRXWUYX2

Furthermore, if anyone has a bass-heavy track that can demonstrate the Finders' ability to handle lower frequencies without distortion, please post here.  Thanks!

P.S. I would test this in Tidal, but I'm saving my free 3 months for when I receive my Echobox Explorer in April (!!!).

Weird dude...I've only ever heard distortion from a pair of finders when cranked up with a dedicated amp and playing some crazy metal with double bass pedal. Do they sound fine otherwise? I'm wondering if yours are defective...

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #302 of 992
Im pretty sure the code expires after 30 days...I wouldn't wait till April.
From my email: "Your code will be available to download from our server for the next 30 days. After 30 days, your code will no longer be available."
Edit: I think maybe you just need to save the code somewhere outside the link they sent if you want to use it later. You just can't retrieve your code after 30 days.

You have to obtain the code within 30 days, but the code itself is good5/15/16 once you have it :wink:

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #303 of 992

Weird dude...I've only ever heard distortion from a pair of finders when cranked up with a dedicated amp and playing some crazy metal with double bass pedal. Do they sound fine otherwise? I'm wondering if yours are defective...

Good news - upon further testing, I've determined that the distortion is not a result of the Finders  :)  

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #304 of 992
  Good news - upon further testing, I've determined that the distortion is not a result of the Finders  :)  

etysmile.gif
 Glad you figured it out.

PEEK, the material we make the drivers out of, is used for high heat applications in automotive engine compartments. I seriously doubt they will distort on anything but the most extreme tracks with excess amplification.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #307 of 992
Feb 12, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #308 of 992
its mostly refines, it takes the sharpness off of the note edges.   i sppose in essence it does reduce the noticablitiy of the treble very slightly but not so much as actually reducing the quantity.  just gently sanding it a smidge.

id say if grab an adapter, their availability on ebay seems to fluctuate wildly but i can see one for about £11 actually its the only one i can find which is odd but whatever.  in this crazy audio world its about as a cheap an upgrade as youll find.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #309 of 992
Thanks for the info.  I've been checking ebay and found a few, all from Hong Kong with long shipping dates.  There's one on Amazon too, but has bad reviews.  Of course the Ety one is available but its about $50.  I'm gonna pick up some type of adapter, it definitely sounds worthwhile.  I tend to use not very powerful sources (phone and tablet) too, so it may be very worthwhile.  I'm really anticipating how well the Explorer will mate with the Finder.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #310 of 992
  Thanks for the info.  I've been checking ebay and found a few, all from Hong Kong with long shipping dates.  There's one on Amazon too, but has bad reviews.  Of course the Ety one is available but its about $50.  I'm gonna pick up some type of adapter, it definitely sounds worthwhile.  I tend to use not very powerful sources (phone and tablet) too, so it may be very worthwhile.  
I'm really anticipating how well the Explorer will mate with the Finder.

Likewise!!!

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #311 of 992

I was going to suggest checking that the filters are firmly screwed on, but it seems you have found the solution/problem

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #313 of 992
  Thanks for the info.  I've been checking ebay and found a few, all from Hong Kong with long shipping dates.  There's one on Amazon too, but has bad reviews.  Of course the Ety one is available but its about $50.  I'm gonna pick up some type of adapter, it definitely sounds worthwhile.  I tend to use not very powerful sources (phone and tablet) too, so it may be very worthwhile.  I'm really anticipating how well the Explorer will mate with the Finder.

yeah i dont know why but they seem to come and go with availability plus they are called randem different things which doesnt help either.

however i do have a browes and found http://www.amazon.com/Cable-switching-lines-Professional-ZY-001/dp/B00A2QJL0C/ref=lp_8496696011_1_16?srs=8496696011&ie=UTF8&qid=1455376025&sr=8-16

but i ithkn thats from the US, so quicker but then its like twice the price of the one i found on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Audio-Headphone-Earphone-Impedance-Adapter-Conventer-Jack-75Ohm-or-150Ohm/181965819213?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D183c0107f4014bb3beafbb3594a76d21%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D260918054341

im not validating one of another,  my one i tihnk came from some selling in glasgow some years back but i cant seem to see any western makers of them anymore, shame really.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #314 of 992
The one on Amazon worries me a little bit as several people commented on the plug being a little undersized leading to static on some sources. I will probably end up going the eBay route, as there is no real hurry. Thanks for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back