Earsonics sm3 V2
Jun 3, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #286 of 1,167

Hows the sound? is it the same sound as the V1? I would be sort of excited if they improved it or remove the veil
Quote:
Just thought I'm mention, I've been wearing the V2's for nearly 5 straight hours, without any issues. To anyone with the V1's considering the V2's, if your ears are anything like mine and feel discomfort on occasion with the V1's, the V2's completely eliminated that issue for me. The best comparison I'd make would be to that of my Westones (W3/W4), which the V2's seal and comfort mimics very closely. I use the large comply foams (same ones included with any Westones), so the seal is as good as I'd imagine for it to be for my ears. All in all, I'm loving it!
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #287 of 1,167
Same sound; though to my ears, they definitely tend to open up and don't sound as veiled after many hours of use. May just be my ears adjusting to what I hear, but there's a noticeable difference to my ears nonetheless.

I'm all too new to the replaceable cable bit. Could someone please clarify, what exactly are the benefits of a replaceable cable, apart from the obvious (being able to easily remove and replace if need be)? And on that very note, if I were to consider a cable upgrade, what's my best option, and what changes will it bring me? Thank you in advance.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #288 of 1,167

Well you won't have to get it recabled or send the whole unit for RMA if you break the cable, plus you can use aftermarket cables :D

the TF10 is one of the best examples of taking advantage of this. The stock cable on the TF10 blows but once upgraded to a good aftermarket cable, the sound significantly changes for the better
Quote:
Same sound; though to my ears, they definitely tend to open up and don't sound as veiled after many hours of use. May just be my ears adjusting to what I hear, but there's a noticeable difference to my ears nonetheless.

I'm all too new to the replaceable cable bit. Could someone please clarify, what exactly are the benefits of a replaceable cable, apart from the obvious (being able to easily remove and replace if need be)? And on that very note, if I were to consider a cable upgrade, what's my best option, and what changes will it bring me? Thank you in advance.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #289 of 1,167
I've encountered the TF10 testimonials after cable upgrades, but is that exclusive to the TF10, or is it safe to assume that one would find similar results when the same upgraded cable is coupled with any other IEM, or in this case, with the V2?

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #291 of 1,167
Just to add my discovery: I heard a freshly opened-from-the-box V2 from a shop last night and I thought the V2 sounded different with the V1, and I can hear veil with my Iphone 3GS (un-EQ'd). Then I remembered the burn-in theory. So yes, I can confirm that it's true for my ears.

The highs where already improved with my almost 1-year old V1(Aug Purchase) as I was playing WAV file "Master Blaster" by Stevie Wonder compared with the V2. Not only with the highs, but almost everything were improved, like transparency and soundstage. I guess this would be true for my other iems.

Interesting enough for me as I though it was only a brain burn-in that I had with the SM3...now waiting for the clear V2s!

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #292 of 1,167
It was a really hard to make a choice b/w the IE8 and the SM3v2..but I went for the Sm3v2 : ) Can't wait.. if the bass is still not enough, or on the same level as my RE0, i will sell them and get the IE8. 

I will post a little review once I get them 

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #293 of 1,167

Quote:
It was a really hard to make a choice b/w the IE8 and the SM3v2..but I went for the Sm3v2 : ) Can't wait.. if the bass is still not enough, or on the same level as my RE0, i will sell them and get the IE8. 

Well for me, especially now with the better seal I get with the V2, the bass is definitely more than the re0 (it was with the V1 as well), both versions have significantly more bass than the re0.

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #294 of 1,167

In theory, all IEMs should benefit from it, much like the TF10 and IE8 since they've been out the longest and have a very strong aftermarket cable support. Much like how cans change their sound when recabled :)
Quote:
I've encountered the TF10 testimonials after cable upgrades, but is that exclusive to the TF10, or is it safe to assume that one would find similar results when the same upgraded cable is coupled with any other IEM, or in this case, with the V2?

SM3's are among the most bassy BA iems i've heard and definitely will be more bassy than the RE0. Judging by the initial feedback I am thinking they didn't change the sound at all or should be a very minor tweak, much like the SE530 > SE535

Quote:

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #295 of 1,167

Quote:

If I were you I would forgo the IE8's(ah..you already have), sure they have that great soundstage and deep bass, but they also have rolled off highs and that mid-band hump. I have these things and while at the beginning I was "sucked in" by that monster bass, now coupled with a lack off sparkle in the highs and that annoying hump is really bothering me.YMMV.  I for my self am trying to decide between the W4 and the SM3v2. I am waiting for anyone to put something down which will allow me to decide!!!

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #296 of 1,167

^^^ I've never heard the IE8, but it does sound like the "lack of sparkle in the highs" would be something that I would not like very much. I just feel that the Sm3v2 would be better overall..maybe not as good on bass, but good enough, and at the same time perform better overall. 

How much is the W4 ? 
Quote:
Well for me, especially now with the better seal I get with the V2, the bass is definitely more than the re0 (it was with the V1 as well), both versions have significantly more bass than the re0.

Good to hear! Thank you! 

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #297 of 1,167
Having heard all 3, the W4 is my second top pick, immediately after the SM3. The W4 does everything just right IMO, with its nearly ruler-flat signature, and no emphasis on any one area of the spectrum versus the other. In other words, all aspects of the spectrum are equally appreciated, from the lows all the way to the highs. The W4 is quite easily an all rounder, and is fit for any genre, period. It's what I'd call the "safest bet", for the listener who listens to much of anything and everything. It's very difficult to find any flaws/shortcomings with the W4, mainly because I find that there are none. Its nearly ruler-flat signature will not appeal to everyone however, and this for me is what set it apart from the SM3 (original/V2; same sound so doesn't matter). It simply comes down to preference. I initially preferred the W4 over 11 other top tiers I had heard, until I became so accustomed to the SM3's lush mids and intimate sound, it became my obvious preference. Needless to say, the W4 is just as equally worth its weight in gold as the SM3 is for me, and either one is up there amongst my most recommended choices.
smile.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #298 of 1,167
I'd do it simply for cosmetic reasons. But I wouldn't know where you'd get the v2 connectors.

Quote:
In theory, all IEMs should benefit from it, much like the TF10 and IE8 since they've been out the longest and have a very strong aftermarket cable support. Much like how cans change their sound when recabled :)

SM3's are among the most bassy BA iems i've heard and definitely will be more bassy than the RE0. Judging by the initial feedback I am thinking they didn't change the sound at all or should be a very minor tweak, much like the SE530 > SE535

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #299 of 1,167
So the sm3 has nearly no improvement, possbily a declination when amped, whereas the w4 improves substantially?  In my CLAS setup, amp use is certain.  If so, I'll have to take the w4.  Ironically, it was because of the undetacheable cable why I sold my sm3's in the first place.  Or I might just by both to hear it for myself.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #300 of 1,167
I have much too litle experience with amps, as I've only ever owned one (the Headstage Arrow 3G). I was quite content with the W4 unamped, and never felt the absolute need to use it amped, especially when the amp itself costs nearly as much as the earphones. I'm sure other more experienced W4 owners can fill in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back