Earsonics sm3 V2
May 31, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #256 of 1,167
ie2han will no doubt add it to his comparison thread when he's got his hands on it. given it seems that it's more ergonomics than sound quality, you might get a good read of it currently. If I remember correctly it went Westone 4>SM3>IE8, but I cannot be sure.

May 31, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #257 of 1,167
Unfortunately, that thread was closed upon my request. I won't discuss it here bcause I don't want to get off topic. With respect to the OP, anyone can PM me to discuss anything unrelated to this thread.
smile.gif

I will do a comparison for my own ears, and I don't feel the absolute need to do a write-up of my impressions since the only things changed are the re-shell and removable cable. Sound-wise, it's one and the same, so I've been told.
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #258 of 1,167
Slightly OT, but very interested in why you're not keeping any of the IEMs you had i2ehan, I thought the W4s were the ones? I'm under the impression that the SM3s were pretty middle of the pack for you in your review as you thought the treble was a bit veiled?

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #262 of 1,167
Nice review Geruvah!  Glad you enjoy those, I suppose ES were serious when they said that the sound wasn't really changed at all.

Quote:
None. If I did, I would use the digiZoid ZO. No other amp.

I've actually been using the ZO with the SM3 (v1) quite a bit lately, and contrary to my initial impressions, it does make a pretty decent pairing, as long as you don't go crazy (more than +4-5 levels).  At levels 0-4, it actually does sound pretty sweet.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #263 of 1,167
I just put my order in for the v2's 
etysmile.gif
.  I wonder what they would sound like with my E11, but I'll probably use them unamped. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #264 of 1,167
Darn glad to hear that. Looks like my next investment is that. Would've loved a new wire but only for cosmetic reasons whereas this would actually help with sound.

Quote:
Nice review Geruvah!  Glad you enjoy those, I suppose ES were serious when they said that the sound wasn't really changed at all.

I've actually been using the ZO with the SM3 (v1) quite a bit lately, and contrary to my initial impressions, it does make a pretty decent pairing, as long as you don't go crazy (more than +4-5 levels).  At levels 0-4, it actually does sound pretty sweet.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #265 of 1,167
Mine get here tomorrow! Can't wait. I'll post pics side by side with both the V1 and V2. I'll decide whether or not I'll keep the V2 based on seal and comfort.
smile.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #268 of 1,167

Quote:
Anybody who has the v1 and will be getting the v2?
I would really like to know how they compare :)

If you read a few pages back there are some very good comparison reviews between the V1 and V2.  However, quickly the sound I think is basically the same, but because I am getting a better seal with using the V2, the bass response is improved, but I think only because of the improved seal as opposed to better sq from the actual unit themselves.

Cheers,

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #269 of 1,167
Hello all, 

Thank you for all the information on the V2! 

I've been looking to buy new iems for a while now, and the sm3 v2 seems like a good choice. I currently have the head-direct re0, i do like them, but the bass is nowhere near where I want it to be. I should probably say that I don't use an amp,and the re0 have impedance of 64 Ω, which from my understanding, means that they would benefit from one more so than a headphone with lower impedance, such as the earsonics (34Ω). Is that true ? 

I listen to a lot of house/electronic music beats, classical, classic rock, and every once in while some old school rap songs that I like.. so I need something with a nice bass, but also good overall sound. I looked at the IE8 (which seemst to be very bass heavy) but I am worried about the isolation, and the overall sound.. it seems that the sm3 would be a better choice for me. I don't know what a "true bass head" really means, but I don't think I am one :) Its just that the RE0 don't offer enough.. I am hoping that the Sm3 v2 have that. Also, with the RE0 i've tried many different tips, and the comply foam gives me the best seal, but its still not good enough..not as good as my old shure 3c.. so even if the sm3 doesn't offer more bass from the headphone itself, i feel like i will get a little bit more from the better seal with sure olives for example. 

Any thoughts ? Should I go for the V2 ? 

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #270 of 1,167
Believe me you´ll get plenty of bass (if the V2 and V1 sound the same). I owned the UM2 earlier the amount of bass of the SM3 is more or less the same and most of the time perfectly right (meaning skakingly good but not bloomy). SM3 doesnt need amp else you´ll just waste your money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back