Earsonics sm3 V2
Jun 3, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #301 of 1,167
From my experience, W4 has a rather anemic bass and practically no sub-bass with poor amping. However, things change when you use a good powerful amp (RSA SR-71A in my case). The bass and especially the sub-bass area improves dramatically. SM3 (I have heard V1 only) is less dependent on amplification and sound pretty good even using the iPod HP-out.

Quote:
I have much too litle experience with amps, as I've only ever owned one (the Headstage Arrow 3G). I was quite content with the W4 unamped, and never felt the absolute need to use it amped, especially when the amp itself costs nearly as much as the earphones. I'm sure other more experienced W4 owners can fill in here.

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #302 of 1,167
They do not lack in sparkle at all on the lowest bass setting imo and it further improves with silver aftermarket cables. I really don't think it's inferior to the SM3. The IE8 is a very competent IEM and you should not discount it from your purchasing decisions without hearing both it and SM3 first imo.

Let your ears decide if you must.

W4 is $500 if i'm not mistaken

Quote:
^^^ I've never heard the IE8, but it does sound like the "lack of sparkle in the highs" would be something that I would not like very much. I just feel that the Sm3v2 would be better overall..maybe not as good on bass, but good enough, and at the same time perform better overall. 

How much is the W4 ? 
Good to hear! Thank you! 

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #306 of 1,167

Quote:
^^ Great seller ratings too.

Are you implying that a seller on Amazon who has 96% positive feedback and has sold 1,163 items is not good enough?

In the very, VERY unlikely event that there was a problem with the transaction, the buyer is fully protected by Amazon, in which case the buyer can get 100% of their money back, including return shipping costs. In that respect Amazon's protection scheme is mote comprehensive than eBay's, where it can take much longer for a buyer to get their money back from PayPal.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #307 of 1,167
What makes you think I was being sarcastic?
tongue.gif
 I wasn't. I was actually pointing out that he had a great rating. Besides, I'm a frequent buyer on Amazon, and even have a Prime account for that very reason. I don't know why that came off as sarcastic, but it shouldn't have.
confused.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #308 of 1,167

Quote:
What makes you think I was being sarcastic?
tongue.gif
 I wasn't. I was actually pointing out that he had a great rating. Besides, I'm a frequent buyer on Amazon, and even have a Prime account for that very reason. I don't know why that came off as sarcastic, but it shouldn't have.
confused.gif

If you know Amazon so well, why did you NOT suggest the cheaper $400 option for a brand new pair that also comes with a FULL warranty instead of making KaliKot or other Head-fiers/visitors possibly think that a $415 second-hand pair, which you are selling, might be an option?

Perhaps no suggestion would have been much more appropriate.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #309 of 1,167
I'm now more confused than ever. Which $415 pair am I selling? My classified is for $375 my friend, and has remained so for the last few days.
confused_face(1).gif

KaliKot posted the following: W4 is $500 if i'm not mistaken, to which I went to Amazon and saw the price as $429.99, as per the main Amazon page. So I posted that link here instead, along with the $375 asking price posted on my ad. When I read your post, indicating the even lower Amazon price that I hadn't seen earlier because I looked only at the main link and not at the other sellers, I commented on it stating that the seller you had kindly suggested had a great rating. I don't know why when I suggested something positive, it was taken negatively. I won't comment further on this, as it's unnecessary, but please PM me if need be. You're a good friend music_4321, and I enjoyed your contribution to the showdown thread. I hope you understand that I wasn't implying anything negative towards the seller, or Amazon, or anything for that matter; rather promoting the two in case anyone was mistaken that the W4 was priced at $500.
smile.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #310 of 1,167
Back to the topic at hand; with regards to the red and blue dots indicating right and left, should they be facing inwards or outwards? Mine were initially facing inwards and so I removed the wire, and reversed it so that the 2 dots are now facing outwards.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #311 of 1,167

Quote:
I'm now more confused than ever. Which $415 pair am I selling? My classified is for $375 my friend, and has remained so for the last few days.
confused_face(1).gif

KaliKot posted the following: W4 is $500 if i'm not mistaken, to which I went to Amazon and saw the price as $429.99, as per the main Amazon page. So I posted that link here instead, along with the $375 asking price posted on my ad. When I read your post, indicating the even lower Amazon price that I hadn't seen earlier because I looked only at the main link and not at the other sellers, I commented on it stating that the seller you had kindly suggested had a great rating. I don't know why when I suggested something positive, it was taken negatively. I won't comment further on this, as it's unnecessary, but please PM me if need be. You're a good friend music_4321, and I enjoyed your contribution to the showdown thread. I hope you understand that I wasn't implying anything negative towards the seller, or Amazon, or anything for that matter; rather promoting the two in case anyone was mistaken that the W4 was priced at $500.
smile.gif

Apologies for the price mix-up. You're right, your W4s are $375 (+ PayPal fees). 

I still think $400 is a better option for a brand-new set with a full warranty. I thought it was rather odd, after claiming that you are "a frequent buyer on Amazon, and even have a Prime account for that very reason",  that you would suggest the $430 item, when you should know a $400 pair was only one click away from the very same web page.

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #312 of 1,167
I didnt know they are now going for $400 nowadays. Oh my, I might be tempted in a few months.

I want to get to hear one first though and decide if it's for me. Judging by the reviews and feedback though, my wallet won't be safe at all... and I just finished on a spending spree for audio gear just a few days ago including the UM3x. DAMN

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #313 of 1,167

Quote:
I didnt know they are now going for $400 nowadays. Oh my, I might be tempted in a few months.

I want to get to hear one first though and decide if it's for me. Judging by the reviews and feedback though, my wallet won't be safe at all... and I just finished on a spending spree for audio gear just a few days ago including the UM3x. DAMN

The UM3X is a fine IEM and there are, in fact, quite a few people (myself included) who prefer it over the SM3. 

Most of those who have heard both the UM3X & W4 prefer the latter (myself included), though I do know two people who prefer the UM3X over the W4, and one of them happens to be a very experienced Head-fier, who also has experience with some very good full-sized headphones.

The bottom line is that you may not by missing as much as you think you are. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back