Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 25, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #12,857 of 75,702
By the way... when you get a new earbud (or IEM, headphone, etc.) there's a very quick way to uncover potential driver problems. See my signature - the tone generator (I am not affiliated with it in any way).

I had a recent PM conversation with a forum member, suggesting that he try it with his issue, this is what he said:

Dang! This test is ruthless. Just found that one of the driver of my original Monk too rattles at a lower frequency than the RX1 (around 80) but it still listenable for normal music. The Monk Plus is fine even to very low frequencies. Now I'm afraid to test my other earbuds. Like you said this tool is great for testing new purchases.

After months of using a headphone I tried a bunch of things to pin down an exact problem with the driver. The seller replaced it reluctantly and I had pretty substantial proof.

Try one channel at a time and test the entire spectrum. Also a hearing test to lol!

Give it a try. I may start a thread on this elsewhere.

Thats so true! I am the one who PM'ed with Ira Delphic. Today I tested one of my two pairs of TY HiZ 32 and one of the driver started resonating lightly at a very low frequency around 30hz. Though it sounded fine for normal music. I don't know if its a valid scientific test for drivers but it sure confirmed a big flaw with my RX1 (this one rattled like crazy). Makes you think about the intrinsic quality of cheap/affordable earbuds! My RX1 looked like a superb deal but not so much now when I have ordered a replacement pair. Of my 2 pairs of original Monk one had strong channel imbalance (unuseable) and now i'm so sad (my favorite headphone/earbud for classic vocal jazz by far) to find that my last pair may have issues.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #12,858 of 75,702
Guys who say T-Music goes lower than TY 650:

1. how much are you EQ'ing up the bass boost starting at 0hz and ending below 120hz?
2. T-Music v1 or v2?
3. Amped or not?

I only ever owned the v1, it is now with @BloodyPenguin, but I definitely did not think the T-Music went that low or deep at all. i would use it and switch to the Monk Plus and have much more bass all around with the same eq settings and amp.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #12,859 of 75,702
Haha! I usually boost up to 80Hz. On Rockbox I usually boost 20Hz with 3 or 4 dB, then 40Hz with 2 dB, then 60Hz with 1dB and then 80Hz with 0,5. That gives me some sub bass on my earbuds (VE Zen 1 excluded since it has got more than enough sub bass).

I have never gone warpdrive with 23dB (!) at 30Hz...

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #12,860 of 75,702

I have never gone warpdrive with 23dB (!) at 30Hz...

I like this term. warp drive bass! I would consider my boost to be roughly equivalent to warp 9.975.

Keep in mind if you're going to add 23dB you probably need to lower the pre-gain, which on mine is set to about -16. Thus you would actually be able to get the same boost quantity not touching the pre-gain and applying a 7dB bass boost, However my main reason for lowering the pre-gain is so I can turn up my amp higher and use more power to get the same listening level. So i might turn up my amp higher but not be murdering my eardrums.
wink.gif

OT, but I'm reminded of a particular synthesizer I wanted badly as a teenager from your comment.... you'll enjoy the pun.

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #12,861 of 75,702
I still can't decide on a desktop headphone amp. Modjo and iFi have been suggested by ClieOS, but I am not sure I want portables or semi portables... Or maybe I do... What are you guys using to drive earbuds from your computers? Just want to have few more options to research...

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #12,862 of 75,702
I still can't decide in a desktop headphone amp. Modjo and IFi have been suggested by ClieOS
, but I am not sure I want postables or semi portables... Or maybe I do... What are you guys using to drive earbuds from your computers? Just want to have few more options to research...

I owned the mojo and found it highly overated. Look at the DF Red or Black as options aswell. Plenty of options that are cheaper :)

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #12,863 of 75,702
  ...but out of the box I sort of see them as a person child of Blox TM7 and AuGlamour RX-1. If you take the excellent presentation and instrument placement and separation of Blox TM7 and put it together with the forward mids of RX-1 you might get a picture of the sound (though much better bass than RX-1). Shozy Cygnus might also be a good comparison but with a slightly less warm sound but much much better 3D soundstage and treble extension.

Hmmm... sounds good. Besides it seems like I am compatible with Indonesian earbuds. Maybe just because:

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #12,865 of 75,702
  I still can't decide in a desktop headphone amp. Modjo and IFi have been suggested by ClieOS, but I am not sure I want postables or semi portables... Or maybe I do... What are you guys using to drive earbuds from your computers? Just want to have few more options to research...

I wholeheartedly endorse a USB AKM or ESS based DAC run into any amp you like. A lot of my favorite amps are portable. The bMac I took the 9V battery out of and only run it off of AC power now. I also have some replacement opamps on the way as I have not messed with opamp rolling on it yet.

I used to use Garage 1217 tube and solid state amps, both with awesome results. They have built in selectable output resistance so you can always raise the output impedance so you can have more control with the volume knob as opposed to having an unusably delicate range of usable volume.

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #12,867 of 75,702
I still can't decide on a desktop headphone amp. Modjo and iFi have been suggested by ClieOS
, but I am not sure I want portables or semi portables... Or maybe I do... What are you guys using to drive earbuds from your computers? Just want to have few more options to research...

Mojo? Mojo is pretty good as a dac. If you only need a desktop amp, you have many options.

But usually the sound from the computer sound card is not good enough. It's better to use a dac also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back