Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 25, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #12,826 of 75,705

Yes, standard version.

You have frightened me first that you mean K's500, later I noticed you meant Monk. OK, if we agree that Toneking TP16 is a level-up from Monk, then K's64 is maybe at TP16 level or maybe somewhere between Monk and TP16. Depends on which signature you will like more. K's64 is flatter with more congested mids and lighter bass than TP16.

Agreed.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #12,827 of 75,705
  You have frightened me first that you mean K's500, later I noticed you meant Monk. OK, if we agree that Toneking TP16 is a level-up from Monk Plus, then K's64 is maybe at TP16 level or maybe somewhere between Monk Plus and TP16. Depends on which signature you will like more. K's64 is flatter with more congested mids and lighter bass than TP16.

Maybe...only a blind test would let us know for certain. But blind test discussion is for the lab, not here. I know that my MP driven with my LG V10 is pretty amazing! So the DAP is a huge factor as others have mentioned.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #12,831 of 75,705
you know after playing around modding a couple of monks i have come to a conclusion.  The way a speaker sounds (sound stage, clarity, balance, warmness) regardless of what its in (earbud, headphone, desktop speaker) depends more on tuning (housing, dampening, materials in front of driver ect)  than the actual driver used.  And just to prove my point there are a lot of buds out there that are just re-tuned cheap buds and they sound like high end buds.

So its sad that the cheap buds are gimped due to bad tuning.  I just wish i knew how to properly tune them so i could make and sell modded monks $$$$

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #12,832 of 75,705
also 800 Ohm (300 usd)

eek.gif

you know after playing around modding a couple of monks i have come to a conclusion.  The way a speaker sounds (sound stage, clarity, balance, warmness) regardless of what its in (earbud, headphone, desktop speaker) depends more on tuning (housing, dampening, materials in front of driver ect)  than the actual driver used.  And just to prove my point there are a lot of buds out there that are just re-tuned cheap buds and they sound like high end buds.

So its sad that the cheap buds are gimped due to bad tuning.  I just wish i knew how to properly tune them so i could make and sell modded monks $$$$

this is very true, i have been wanting to learn how to properly re-tune for a while...

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #12,833 of 75,705
Oct 25, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #12,837 of 75,705

Users who are viewing this thread

Back