Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #7,698 of 75,478
To guys who owns RX-1 and tomahawk, I wonder if your preference reflects my findings.

High - RX-1 win. Period. No contest here.
Mid - perhaps 65% towards RX-1, 35% tomahawk.
Low - tomahawk wins period. Also no contest

Some track especially male vocals I prefer RX-1, better texture / timbre. Female vocals most of the time I prefer tomahawk.

Tomahawk low is fast fast and way more textured / impact. Better in quality and quantity. I'm not a basshead but Rx-1 low always make me keep wanting for more even after bass boost. It's kinda asphyxiating (yes I mean it, literally). Maybe it's too early to judge but I doubt the low will improve on quantity.

I've tried most foams, ring and donut that I had.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #7,699 of 75,478
To guys who owns RX-1 and tomahawk, I wonder if your preference reflects my findings.

High - RX-1 win. Period. No contest here.
Mid - perhaps 65% towards RX-1, 35% tomahawk.
Low - tomahawk wins period. Also no contest

Some track especially male vocals I prefer RX-1, better texture / timbre. Female vocals most of the time I prefer tomahawk.

Tomahawk low is fast fast and way more textured / impact. Better in quality and quantity. I'm not a basshead but Rx-1 low always make me keep wanting for more even after bass boost. It's kinda axphsiated (yes I mean it, literally). Maybe it's too early to judge but I doubt the low will improve on quantity.

I've tried most foams, ring and donut that I had.

Sometimes I have cured that "asphysiation" sound with a recable nad it made all the difference. Sometimes it makes no difference at all
frown.gif

Well then.... anyone got a recabled Tomahawk to try out?

I'm seriously super happy with my RX-1. I will probably buy one or two other bug boys (I still don't get the joke but I like the name) and be set until I lose/break them all. I still want to try the MS985 but the Mojito is almost definitely never entering my collection again.

edit: As i talk about not buying any more earbuds, how the heck do you order from Taobao inthe USA?

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #7,703 of 75,478

Sometimes I have cured that "asphysiation" sound with a recable nad it made all the difference. Sometimes it makes no difference at all
frown.gif

Well then.... anyone got a recabled Tomahawk to try out?

I'm seriously super happy with my RX-1. I will probably buy one or two other bug boys (I still don't get the joke but I like the name) and be set until I lose/break them all. I still want to try the MS985 but the Mojito is almost definitely never entering my collection again.

edit: As i talk about not buying any more earbuds, how the heck do you order from Taobao inthe USA?

I have recabled my Tomahawks with Westone cable and after changing the standard black damper in the drivers to a cotton damper and removing huge glue parts the sound improved in the highs area, treble doesn't sound more "artificial flavor" which that was my big problem with this bud. I think after this mod Tomahawks can be turned into a good earbud...

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #7,704 of 75,478

Hahaha, i'm just joking. No seriously, is there a way to buy from Taobao without being able to speak Mandarin?

I've used www.mistertao.com a bunch of times.  Never had a problem. Great customer service too (though sometimes there is a day or two delay in the responce).

You find the product either on Taobao or on Mistertao's website.  You pay for the items to be sent to their warehouse.  Then you pay again to have them shipped.  Even with the fees and shipping, the prices are very good.

PM me if you have any questions.

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #7,706 of 75,478

I've used www.mistertao.com a bunch of times.  Never had a problem. Great customer service too (though sometimes there is a day or two delay in the responce).

You find the product either on Taobao or on Mistertao's website.  You pay for the items to be sent to their warehouse.  Then you pay again to have them shipped.  Even with the fees and shipping, the prices are very good.

PM me if you have any questions.

I use Bhiner proxy service but there are many other like Taobao Cart etc.

Thanks so much, guys. Taobao has so many great deals Ali doesn't. And all this time I thought Mister Tao was just a nickname for Taobao.

Do any of those services offer:
  1. order combination (e.g., buy different things from different stores over a period of time, and have them ship when you're ready), or,
  2. assistance with returns/warranty replacements if necessary?

Again thanks tons to both of you. I look forward to doing much Taobaoing in the future. Seems like the legit place to be.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #7,707 of 75,478

And....unfortunately am not impressed. Cygnus is better to my ears. Mojito is still endgame.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #7,708 of 75,478
We all hear differently. Nothing wrong in the slightest with it.

The only way to know is to hear for yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

At least it would be very easy for you to find a new buyer for your RX-1 :wink:

Aug 4, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #7,709 of 75,478
  Do any of those services offer:
  1. order combination (e.g., buy different things from different stores over a period of time, and have them ship when you're ready), or,
  2. assistance with returns/warranty replacements if necessary?

I am afraid in Bhiner order combination works only within one cart. So you can order from different TaoBao sellers but when you finalize your cart - it is closed. They accept returns only for damaged or incorrect products. When products arrive to their warehouse they unpack it and take photos - you can review these photos on their web service and if something is wrong you can tell them to send it back but you have to be quick and do it in 3 days time. Some TaoBao stores of interest:
Rose Technology, FARERL, DaiK (wooden earbuds), TYEarphone Association, SeaHF, ERQU, So called "black horse ES series"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back