Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #18,451 of 75,610
  My Blox B320 is out of customs! 

onion-avatar013.gif

Got them Blox in your hands yet..?? :D

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #18,452 of 75,610
Followup on the SHE 3800:

I took a set of foams I had and cut a hole in the middle. Definitely improves the upper registers. A recommended mod.

Also, tonight I tried them side by side against my Sennheiser MX580's. The Sennheisers are the phones I keep by my bedside and listen to when I want to go to sleep with music and not disturb the wife. You can't buy them anymore, so I don't risk taking them with me when I go places. I've had them for years and they've held up well and have a very nice sound.

How'd the Philips compare?

Well, for a fair comparison I turned off all equalization. I always equalize my headphones because there's a certain sound envelope I like, and I try to more or less capture that sound with whatever music source I listen to. Without equalization, the MX580s sound good. The track I picked was the "Thorn in my pride" off the Black Crowe's "Southern Harmony and Musical Companion" album. This is one of my go-to pieces when trying out headphones because it's got a little of everything. It's got quiet sections of solo steel guitar as well as a rambunctious, rocking, distorted electric guitar solo and bright soulful singing.  On the MX580's everything is very clear, and the guitar and the singer have presence and sound as if they're a couple of feel closer to you than the rest of the backing band.I could listen to this whole album with the MX580s without equalization and really enjoy myself.

How about the SHE 3800's? Without equalization, these didn't fare so well. The best way I could describe the sound is this: basically it sounded like the whole band was playing behind a thick cotton blanket.Very muddy sound as compared to the Sennheisers.

But let's not forget: we're talking about $3.00 headphones. The Sennheisers were probably in the $40.00 range when new.

What redeems the SHE 3800's is the fact that with equalization you can brighten them up somewhat and bring out higher registers and correct for their deficiencies enough that you end up with an enjoyable musical experience. They really are perfect for what I want a set of always-by-my-side cheap earphones: something I can pull out of my pocket if I suddenly find myself in a situation where I've got some time on my hands and nothing much to occupy myself with. And let me add: in my experience, back to back listening tests can be a little deceptive. In the real world you rarely listen to two sound sources back to back. In many ways, what's most important in a pair of ultra-portable headphones is that they sound good in isolation. It's easy to make a decent set of headphones sound bad just by listening to them side-by-side with a pair of excellent headphones. And the opposite is true: you can make a set of mediocre headphones sound great by listening to them side by side with a set of awful dollar store earbuds. If I'd spent $50.00 on these earbuds you could be forgiven for assuming that I'm trying to justify a dubious purchase to myself. But we're talking about a set of earbuds that cost less than a gallon of premium gas... they cost less than a Big Mac...they cost almost the same as a large coffee at Starbucks. For their intended purpose, these guys are clear winners.

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #18,453 of 75,610
I had a completely different experience with the 3800's. I think they sound terrific with a bit of noticeable treble lift. I actually like the fact that they are a bit brighter than neutral. A nice alternative to the neutralish monk plus, which I think are a bit better (more accurate and better soundstage).

I use the 3800's with foam donuts from the expansion pack for monk pluses. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #18,454 of 75,610
The Senfers are puzzling to me. They are cheap but have like the nicest shell oot there and MMCX connections to boot. If they spent $3 or $5 more on a more decent set of drivers,
Honestly, I just listen to PT15 with normal VE foams and the silver cable I bought with it, no EQing down the treble. No discomfort from the treble or anything. My hearing must be strange.
it could probably be amazing. Headscrather to me.
I guess we can all look forward to a great PT16 hopefully...

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #18,455 of 75,610
I just got the she3010's, first impressions is that they were a bit bright, measurements support this and decided to test them 

this is how they measure as is,

this is how they measure with the oem cover off and with the blue full foam on, notice how the mids and treble fill in and flatten, my old she2670 are also kinda like this

...and this is with the blue full foams on top of the oem covers, this is more like how normal earbuds measure, with an emphasis from 2khz to 4khz, a peak at 8khz, 

of course, this isn't anything definitive and was measured as is on a desk with a noisey pc under on an iphone 6s using its microphone, this is only to give a rough idea of how these headphones measure with foams or not,

also they were all measured at the same volume the first was 82db, the 2nd was 80db and the last was 84db

making the one with oem covers and full foams louder at the same volume of the three

the app I used

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #18,457 of 75,610
Man, the ucotech has better spatial positioning and channel separation than cygnus, but the treble is too energetic for me to handle. or else i'd always use it on ps4 :frowning2:

i wanna put mic on a cygnus but it seems so wrong to switch the cable

I dunno if there's anything very cheap with a mic. I dont think I have any remax 303 left? I may have one in a box hidden away... gf stole em

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #18,458 of 75,610
The Senfers are puzzling to me. They are cheap but have like the nicest shell oot there and MMCX connections to boot. If they spent $3 or $5 more on a more decent set of drivers,
it could probably be amazing. Headscratcher to me.
I guess we can all look forward to a great PT16 hopefully...

I don't know, i find the drivers amazing, just not tuned ideally. Also they are supposedly graphene, so im not sure they cheaped out on them.

I've heard the graphene rumor as well, and I imagine they might be the go to budget bud for treble-heads. They make for fantastic earbuds for older video game listening. All in all, I think they're a must try for anyone seriously sampling the budget range. That treble will torture most however.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #18,460 of 75,610
Nah, your listening is just fine. the treble on the PT15, although not as extended as the Mojito, is still very very pleasing to my ears.
hmm. Makes me wonder if I can handle em. Been avoiding it for quite some time because report of treble put me off.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #18,461 of 75,610
Nah, your listening is just fine. the treble on the PT15, although not as extended as the Mojito, is still very very pleasing to my ears.
I have the Mojitos too. I love those as well as the Masyas. PT15 are still good though. They have an energy that you can feel, but they are not very refined or lush sounding. They are good for the price and look nice.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #18,463 of 75,610
  So, I got the K25S.. but on the box it says K25. Did they send me the wrong one?

Depends on what's in the box:

K25:

K25S:

I got mine K25S in a K25 box too.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #18,465 of 75,610
  They're a bit older, but has someone ever heard the Samsung Level In?

Sure, I own a pair - pretty good sounding but it is on the bright side. In any case, it is an IEM, not earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back