DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 17, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #11,417 of 14,084
Upgraded to 2.1.8.L0 this weekend and listened to different albums

I must say I am very happy what Ibasso did to the sound signature of the player

Maybe a little less micro detail as some forum members suggest, but a lot more energy in the mids an lows.
The previous firmware sounded a bit like it was working hard, to squeeze the last bit bit of musical information out of the files, now it sounds like it is singing, swinging and boogiing, and has energy to spare!

I could not be bothered less with the EQ function, and I really wonder which headphones people use, (that reasonably match the DX90 in price and/or sound quality), that give the need to use EQ settings.
I have golden ears (according to the Philips online test) Most tests are really easy, but a few are quite hard. I recommend everybody to try the test.

I do not hear a difference between the two digital filter options, but I am almost 50 years old so my ears don't hear the highs like many youger hifi enthousiasts.
Maybe this is the reason. Somehow I tend to like the slow rolloff better.

With the latest firmware Ibasso brought an already very good player, to a even higher level!

There must be other old guys like me on the forum, that made their way through portable cassette players and portable CD players, which always demanded the use of a backpack to contain the cassettes, CD's and rechargeable batteries (that were always empty). The tape of the cassettes tangled up like spaghetti and CD's got scratched.

In portability, user friendlyness, music capacity and sound quality, this player is truly outstanding
For me, battery life is more than enough.

I have only one negative and one request:

Negative: Gapless doesn't always have it right
Request: It would be nice if Ibasso would add the feature where album art can be expanded to fill the screen, by tapping on the picture. Tapping the picture again would bring it back to the original size. Sonos works that way as well.

IEMS Sennheiser IE8
Cans Philips L2

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #11,418 of 14,084

Do u get longer hours from that battery compared to the stock Pisen that come with the player?
  I was thinking of buying spare batteries for my DX90. Do you guys have any recommendations?

If u can get hold of a genuine Japan made Japan assembled batteries,it would be the best choice. T.R.A.N.C.E. did a comprehensive battery test a while back and Japan/Japan come out top SQ and running hour-wise.Another option is using an extended batteries if u dont mind the bulge and using the silicone covers only.One of the members reported he get 16 hours play time from KINPS 5100mAh.My no-brand 4300mAh just gave me around 5-6 hours so maybe u should go with brand-name when it come to 'generic' replacement battery.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #11,419 of 14,084
  I cant seem to play any of my mp3 files. About 95% of my library is lossless, but I sill have handful of mp3 tracks and every time I try to play them the DX90 will show the logo screen and reboot. Quite annoying I must say. 

Any album with a cue file, the first track keeps on playing over and over even if the playing mode is not "Repeat". I can skip the tracks but the next track after finishing the currently playing track is always the first track of the album. 

Anyone else facing these issue? I am thinking of rolling back to the previous firmware. 

%90 of my music is mp3. Never had trouble with any of them since the first FW on the DX90.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #11,420 of 14,084
Just tried high gain with 2.1.8. Wow this really sings with my SE846 with modded blue filters. I listen to a lot of live recordings, and this setting really makes me feel like one of the audience. At low gain, vocals were a bit recessed compared to 2.1.5. High gain brought it back forward with better bass and treble extension.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #11,421 of 14,084

%90 of my music is mp3. Never had trouble with any of them since the first FW on the DX90.

No random restarts of the device when attempting to play a particular mp3?

I tried to put the mp3s which when selected restart the dx90 onto both on board and micro sd storage, same result with 2.1.8 where the device would restart.

Rolling back to 2.1.5 and all is well again.

So it has to be the update which doesn't like particular files, reason why Paul has sent it across to the software guys. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #11,423 of 14,084

I tried to put the mp3s which when selected restart the dx90 onto both on board and micro sd storage, same result with 2.1.8 where the device would restart.

So it has to be the update which doesn't like particular files, reason why Paul has sent it across to the software guys. 

Nope.. been using the same microSD card with the same files with all the FW. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #11,424 of 14,084

Reported this issue a while ago. I have rolled back to 2.1.5 as well. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #11,425 of 14,084

Do u get longer hours from that battery compared to the stock Pisen that come with the player?
If u can get hold of a genuine Japan made Japan assembled batteries,it would be the best choice. T.R.A.N.C.E. did a comprehensive battery test a while back and Japan/Japan come out top SQ and running hour-wise.Another option is using an extended batteries if u dont mind the bulge and using the silicone covers only.One of the members reported he get 16 hours play time from KINPS 5100mAh.My no-brand 4300mAh just gave me around 5-6 hours so maybe u should go with brand-name when it come to 'generic' replacement battery.

Thanks a lot for reply guys. I will look into those options. 

Could be the way my mp3 files are encoded or tagged. But I can play them fine with 2.1.5 so it has to be a firmware issue. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #11,426 of 14,084
I am listening to the Dx90 with my newly acquired Sony XBA-Z5. These things need some burn in. They went from sounding ok, to strident and lacking in a good foundation and cold mids. They are sounding more cohesive but with only 24 hours on them, I know they will take some time. They are nice and open now and bass is improving but need some improvement but I can see people listening to these and selling them or if just auditioning, saying, no way. They do take time. I have tried them on a number of my daps and hear the same thing as they change. 

Right now on the DX90 I am hearing a transparent open clean sound and hoping for a little more warmth. They also let me know the DX90 is producing sound, though different to some degree, up there with daps costing much more. I play albums straight through so I haven't run into some of the problems some have here but nice to see the solution is being worked on. I wouldn't want to do SW for anything but can see, if you know it, it could be interesting and even fun. :^)

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #11,427 of 14,084
  I am listening to the Dx90 with my newly acquired Sony XBA-Z5. These things need some burn in. 

I'm using the DX90 with my XBA-A3. It will be MUCH better after your Z5 have been burnt in. Besides, I would recommend to use Hi Gain setting: Sony hybrids are quite power hungry. Otherwise the lows (bass) are not that "punchy" but rather flat and exhausting...

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #11,430 of 14,084
I like the Samsung made in Korea battery as one of the best but even they are hard to find now. I also use the Anker and the original and then there is the Kinps which shows 3450 (which I doubt is the true mAh rating). I also have a Samsung that I doubled up to 2 regular to double the capacity and that lowered the ESR more and to me, sounds the best but any good battery works for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back