DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jun 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #1,021 of 3,609
Quote:

To each his own.
I personally feel that DX100's internal amp is excellent performing.
To see the benefits of amping the DX100, the amp must be one kick ass amp, and there aren't many such amps around.
I have no problem using DX100 with either Miracle nor EX-1000.

The Tralucent T1 amp paired with the DX100 is what really impressed me. I was not a fan of the DX100s internal amp section. I just didn't like the sound. In terms of technicality it was a very good amp. In terms of musical enjoyment for me it was not that good personally. The T1 amp made me love the DX100 but considering the portability aspect as well as battery life and UI. It wasn't viable for me any longer. But I did take the pairing out with me on more than one occasion because they sounded that damn good to me. I would call it my reference sound even. If they had the pairing in a single portable unit I'd own it right now :p.

@Mython I don't agree on the price-point of the AK120 impacting my judgement on the players sound quality lol. Believe me I was probably more skeptical than even you are. Coming from the RWA AK100 and being clearly underwhelmed by it's performance to price ratio. The 3rd ANV sounded better IMO at less than half its cost.... Now regarding the AK120 well I feel it is a lot better than the RWA AK100 personally. Now regarding the price. Well I don't think it is worth $1,300.00 and that is just my opinion. I do agree iRiver generally does overcharge for its products and would honestly make more money in the longer run selling at reasonable price to match the DX100 and Hifiman 901. I say the AK120 should retail around $900.00 and it would sell like rice cakes. Still I feel the AK120 is on par with the DX100 and I prefer it to the DX100 (both units unamped). Now amping the DX100 could sway my opinion but there goes any sort of portability. I have yet to test the AK120 with the T1 amp so my thoughts on this could change.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #1,022 of 3,609
Quote:

Whoa, there, why do you presume I was 'rejoicing'?

I simply posted the picture of a bubble because I was mildly amused at the light-hearted difference of opinion between a couple of head-fiers. As you know, the iRiver players have been a hot issue of contention between various head-fiers, owing to the outrageous and cynical marketing and pricing. I personally take no issue with anyone who owns a 100 or a 120, and I very much hope they enjoy them. I have an extremely low opinion of the marketing/pricing strategy employed by iRiver, but no one here in Head-fi is to blame for that.

Specifically, my amusement that led to posting the bubble picture arose from the fact that use of the Sabre DAC incurs a heavy penalty in terms of voltage requirements, which potentially has a knock-on effect upon battery life. I'm really extremely pleased to see that a new mobile version of the ES9018 DAC is about to be released in the near future: http://www.esstech.com/?p=products_DAC    The point of my amusement is that I do not believe manufacturers would implement the present ES9018, and incur the considerable power requirements, if they really could match the SQ with the Wolfson DAC (yes, of course, there are many other factors that determine overall SQ of a DAP, but nevertheless you can see the point I am making).  There is an aspect of human psychology that when a person has spent a large sum of money on a product (AK120), they may be strongly motivated to justify their expenditure by asserting that it performs equally as well as a competing product (such as DX100 / HM-901 etc.). Whether that is actually true is a matter of debate, and it is the light-hearted debate amongst my fellow head-fiers that I am amused by. If it was an angry or harsh debate, I probably wouldn't have posted the bubble picture. And do please note that I didn't say any words; it was just a picture, which could be interpreted either  way, and, just to prove that, it seems it actually was interpreted both ways, if you read the posts that followed it. That's cool, I'm fine with that.

As far as the 'beer-mug' gif is concerned (which I didn't use in the bubble post, but I wonder if you may be thinking of it), it doesn't necessarily mean 'rejoicing'. It can alternatively mean that a person simply agrees or disagrees with another poster, in a friendly way.

Believe me, I'm participating in this thread in a very laidback, lighthearted manner. We're supposed to be friendly enthusiasts here, all sharing a common interest, bouncing around differing opinions, and generally enjoying the hobby, aren't we?

beerchug.gif

Ok great...I misjusdged...I was surprised coming from you because you are not...belligerent...like some people are :)

To be totally honest, I do think that, with different sound sigs, DX100, Tera and AK120 are in the same ballpark, IF YOU USE IEMS. I never use cans and I guess the DX100 would have the upper hand (maybe).

I can indeed imagine better SQ than the AK120. In some aspects, the DX100 is better: more space and air. In some aspects, the Tera is better than anything I have heard (musicality, naturalness of tone, coherence between ranges). But still, AK120 has a great SQ, impressive authority for its size. And the UI is quite nice (not perfect as it is slow if you have two 64GB sds like me). And the battery can last 14 hours. And it is small and pretty. The DX100 is JUST TOO BIG for me.

I even thought that the AK100 modded was good. Overall not as good as DX100, but in some aspects better. The AK100 had blacker background and more clarity. But everything was sacrificed to clarity: power, note weight, authority...

If the DX50 could have DX100 SQ WITH IEMS, it would be great. I will buy it to try anyways, plus I am in China, so I cannot miss the chance to be among the first to get it an brag. That is better than any SQ :wink:

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #1,025 of 3,609
Ok great...I misjusdged...I was surprised coming from you because you are not...belligerent...like some people are :)

To be totally honest, I do think that, with different sound sigs, DX100, Tera and AK120 are in the same ballpark, IF YOU USE IEMS. I never use cans and I guess the DX100 would have the upper hand (maybe).

I can indeed imagine better SQ than the AK120. In some aspects, the DX100 is better: more space and air. In some aspects, the Tera is better than anything I have heard (musicality, naturalness of tone, coherence between ranges). But still, AK120 has a great SQ, impressive authority for its size. And the UI is quite nice (not perfect as it is slow if you have two 64GB sds like me). And the battery can last 14 hours. And it is small and pretty. The DX100 is JUST TOO BIG for me.

I even thought that the AK100 modded was good. Overall not as good as DX100, but in some aspects better. The AK100 had blacker background and more clarity. But everything was sacrificed to clarity: power, note weight, authority...

If the DX50 could have DX100 SQ WITH IEMS, it would be great. I will buy it to try anyways, plus I am in China, so I cannot miss the chance to be among the first to get it an brag. That is better than any SQ :wink:

I'll be following your subsequent posts in here closely. Can't wait to read about your thoughts on it when you get one :D

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #1,026 of 3,609
Quote:
... In some aspects, the Tera is better than anything I have heard (musicality, naturalness of tone, coherence between ranges).

The Tera intrigues me; I'd like to hear it some day.  But even though it is fabulously small, I just know it would soon irritate the hell out of me for having no UI or lossless support. Shame.

The DX100 is JUST TOO BIG for me.

Yes, much as I like the DX100 SQ, it is a pig for size, weight, battery life, and 'popping' loudly. Definitely plenty of room for improvement but what a great starting point for future iBasso DAPs. I do think the DX100 deserves to go down in history as a classic DAP.

LOL @ bragging rights!

Since I'm a 95% CIEM-only person, I'm interested in all of the various DAPs from that perspective, rather than fullsize cans.  I'm not convinced that the DX50 will be able to match the DX100 SQ, despite iBasso seemingly asserting that no corners will be cut. We shall see, and I shall watch with great interest.

Whilst I doubt we will ever see a truly 'perfect' DAP, I can't be alone in thinking that we are seeing an increasing number of good attempts from the various vendors at creating audiophile performance in a pocket format. I am very optimistic that we are soon going to see some wonderful DAPs, as the various vendors gradually refine their products and learn from the mistakes of previous models. It seems a happy momentum of development is approaching soon and it should bear fruit with some fantastic DAPs for us all. I will give iRiver their due - the AK DAPs are a nice overall package and most definitely ahead of the other vendors in some aspects. Now if only they'd collaborate with iBasso or Fiio, we might see a better attitude towards iRiver dealers and end-users and everyone would be happy.

I'm excited to see what the DX50 and X5 bring to the table but I'm really excited to see what everyone comes up with when they get their hands on the new mobile version of the ES9018, that I linked-to, earlier. That could be some real DAP nirvana!

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,028 of 3,609
The Tera intrigues me; I'd like to hear it some day.  But even though it is fabulously small, I just know it would soon irritate the hell out of me for having no UI or lossless support. Shame.

.........................................................................................Snip...........................................................................................

The only codec that the Tera supports IS lossless! (Wav) I presume that you are referring to Apple lossless codecs.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #1,030 of 3,609
I'll be following your subsequent posts in here closely. Can't wait to read about your thoughts on it when you get one :D

I will get it...provided the price is decent...

Honestly, the Tera is easy to work with, if you have another DAP for more selective song listening. Its main issue is more pairing...big crap with low impedance BA. But with the se5 on vocal folk or Jazz...nothing to say.

It's July, gogo ibasso! :deadhorse:

I shot them a mail and they said end of July and no price yet.

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,034 of 3,609

Users who are viewing this thread

Back