DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jun 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #991 of 3,609
I also was kind of surprised when the HM-901 was announced to have two DAC chips and then later the AK120 came up with two chips. But I have read good technical explanations and also people hear improvement in sound (in the A&K case) going from one to two DAC chips. While marketing is an important part in many markets, I think Head-Fi nerds and pro reviewers who specializes in portable audio and headphones are hard to fool. They use their ears, knowledge and compare to other quality gear they have and make their assessment of the DAP accordingly.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #992 of 3,609
Quote:
I also was kind of surprised when the HM-901 was announced to have two DAC chips and then later the AK120 came up with two chips. But I have read good technical explanations and also people hear improvement in sound (in the A&K case) going from one to two DAC chips. While marketing is an important part in many markets, I think Head-Fi nerds and pro reviewers who specializes in portable audio and headphones are hard to fool. They use their ears, knowledge and compare to other quality gear they have and make their assessment of the DAP accordingly.

if it's a product for strictly review purposes I kinda agree for the most... but then you have those that have been 'given one' for review (ahem, a positive one will suffice), too much hype & bluster are the norm I've found in this case, can't let a freebie get in the way of a review huh.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #993 of 3,609
Quote:
if it's a product for strictly review purposes I kinda agree for the most... but then you have those that have been 'given one' for review (ahem, a positive one will suffice), too much hype & bluster are the norm I've found in this case, can't let a freebie get in the way of a review huh.

I have seen one review of the AK120 which was obviously not very well researched (being overly positive about it and not referring to the alterative HQ DAPs that it competes with), but that was a stereo magazine, not a headphone and DAP specialized site. Headfonia.com for example has demonstrated that they do a proper review even they get the review sample for free (FiiO X3 is the latest good example).

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #994 of 3,609
Quote:

AK120 sounds better than AK100 - fact
AK120 sounds better than AK100 because of 2 DAC vs 1 DAC - marketing

I'm a firm believer that circuit implementation, power supply, amp stage, voltage control etc made most of the improvement for AK120 over AK100.  From the RWAK or MSAK we see just a simple bypass can already change/improve sound.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #995 of 3,609
I have seen one review of the AK120 which was obviously not very well researched (being overly positive about it and not referring to the alterative HQ DAPs that it competes with), but that was a stereo magazine, not a headphone and DAP specialized site. Headfonia.com for example has demonstrated that they do a proper review even they get the review sample for free (FiiO X3 is the latest good example).

Headfonia do excellent photography not good reviews.
You don't even need to read the reviews to know Mike's conclusions. There is always an unbreakable positive correlation between price and sound quality.

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #996 of 3,609
Quote:

This is specs vs real world results under dynamic conditions. The advantage of 2 DACs has as much to do with not having to split the power supply rails between the two channels on tiny low current IC tracks. Stops dynamic IM, interaction and increases the subjective solidity beyond any technical differential DAC advantage. The way a PS can be accessed and responds to load is a big deal in any circuit. It's not the first thing to consider when cost effecting a design nor necessarily the weakest link but as price allows, it can become advantageous.

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #997 of 3,609
We agree totally about implementation, and this includes using two DAC chips which separates the L and R channels etc. etc. We also agree regarding output impedance being important and easy to fix, but hasn't been done by A&K. However, I haven't read anyplace that the design of the AK120 is totally new or different from the AK100.

Sorry for being off-topic here.

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #998 of 3,609
Quote:
Actually it make sense for them to actually deliver the DX50 with as good a sound as DX100. DX100 has been around for a while and a bit long in the tooth. Unless they have something better imminently lined up as new flagship, delivering sth on par with DX100 with a slightly lower pricing would made it an interesting competition against the irivers and Hifimans.

Despite the age, DX100 remains the best DAP I've heard so far.
I've had a DIYmod 5G, Hifiman HM-602, regular Studio V, Studio V ANV & AK100.
No, I've not heard  the very famed HM-801 (HM-602 was nightmare enough for me), HM-901 or the Terra (both r actually way overpriced for me).

AK100 & AK120 doesn't actually come near DX100's performance for me.
I should know. I owned the AK100 for 5 months before changing to DX100.
And I demoed AK120 at Jaben. It is better than AK100, but at that price, it's sounds rubbish to me.

Quote:
The DX50 is a single wolfson dac player.

ibasso recently released the Mamba D42 DAC/AMP. Maybe we can take it as a reference point to how well the DX50 will sound?
The D42 with dual wolfson dac should outperform sound wise to the DX50 single wolfson dac, unless ibasso has a secret design around the single wolfson dac to make a difference.

From iRiver AK120, it would seem a dual wolfson dac can closely if not already equal the sabre dac in sound, just a different presentation and preference.
So a single woflson isn't likely to compete, unless, ibasso has cracked the magic code to delivering the same sonic quality on a different dac.

Am keeping expectations for the DX50 as real as possible. hoping for the best.

Just 2 days to go before July. iBasso .. price please.
biggrin.gif

Kenny, U & I both know the AK120 doesn't sound anything close to the Sabre sound.
biggrin.gif

LOL...

Let's all hope for the best. Might get DX50 to replace wife's Studio V if it sounds good.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #999 of 3,609
Quote:

Kenny, U & I both know the AK120 doesn't sound anything close to the Sabre sound.
biggrin.gif

LOL...

wink_face.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,001 of 3,609
The DX100 has been on the market for around a year. Why is everyone discussing it like it's a 2 decade old veteran? I know its a piece of electronics but come on people.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,003 of 3,609
Quote:
The DX100 has been on the market for around a year. Why is everyone discussing it like it's a 2 decade old veteran? I know its a piece of electronics but come on people.

That's a great point. One year does not long in the tooth make. As an Android device, sure, it could be considered outdated, since we're up to Jellybean now, but nobody buys a DX100 to play games, browse Facebook, etc. They buy it to listen to music, and I don't hear anyone complaining about its ability to do that.

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,004 of 3,609
Quote:

wink_face.gif

^THIS, you just made my day
size]

I don't usually discount other's opinion but when people make sweeping statements with just brief demo or didn't even heard it I just LOLOL....  I own all four of DX100, AK100, AK120, HM901 /w standard and balanced card, my actual preference from day-to-day usage would be  901+balance card > AK120 > 901 + standard card > DX100 > AK100. 

YMMV

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,005 of 3,609
Quote:

^THIS, you just made my day
size]

I don't usually discount other's opinion but when people make sweeping statements with just brief demo or didn't even heard it I just LOLOL....  I own all four of DX100, AK100, AK120, HM901 /w standard and balanced card, my actual preference from day-to-day usage would be  901+balance card > AK120 > 901 + standard card > DX100 > AK100. 

YMMV

Just so u guys know. I did had a go at AK120 for a while at the local Jaben.
Nothing to crow about. Yes, it was marginally better than AK100, but at the price it's currently for sale, it doesn't even come near to DX100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back