DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jun 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #977 of 3,609
Quote:
Sound quality is what will differentiate it from other DAPs on the market ATM!

I could sacrifice battery life for quality sound:)

Get the DX100 and be done with it 
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #978 of 3,609
Quote:
Get the DX100 and be done with it 
wink.gif

Yeah, just get a DX100 or HDP-R10 and enjoy it.

The DX100 sounds really fantastic, holds its value well, and can be sold on when a newer player arrives (obviously, it's value will have dropped a bit because many people will want the newer player, but still, the DX100 is a quality player and will always command a respectable secondhand price).

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #979 of 3,609
Quote:

Yeah, just get a DX100 or HDP-R10 and enjoy it.

The DX100 sounds really fantastic, holds its value well, and can be sold on when a newer player arrives (obviously, it's value will have dropped a bit because many people will want the newer player, but still, the DX100 is a quality player and will always command a respectable secondhand price).

+1

...but it would be nice to have a smaller, lighter, faster version of it
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #980 of 3,609
Quote:
I'm not sure if people interested to pay such high price for DX50 which is a "down grade" from DX100.

I don't expect DX50 sound better than DX100 even I have never heard it before but base on logical sense.

May be someone is more willing to top up an additional $350 to get  the reference series like DX100 or even HDP-R10 which have already proven the top notch SQ.

I'm very sure iBasso will not kill its golden geese (DX100 & HDP-R10) who lays golden eggs for the company by making DX50 sounds better than them.

Just take my view with a grain of salt.
biggrin.gif

iBasso said DX50 will not compromise on SQ vs the DX100. Correct me if I am wrong?

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #981 of 3,609
Quote:
This reminds me of a story I read many years ago about the Hoover company deciding to make their less expensive model of floor vacuum run less quietly, to reduce its appeal to customers. They attached a metal reed inside the housing that was picked (like a guitar string) by a toothed gear on the motor shaft - causing a loud buzzing sound.

Their deception backfired. Housewives unanimously decided that the less expensive model sounded more powerful, buying it in preference to the "less powerful" model that was more expensive. Oops! Hoover ended up adding the metal reed to all of their vacuums!

Mike

Hah, interesting.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #983 of 3,609
Quote:

I am sure iBasso will do all they can to make the DX50 sound good but given the DAC used, it may still be one level lower than the DX100.

Ibasso has claimed the DX50 will be a no-compromise DAP that's affordable to everyone. One of those isn't going to be completely true.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #985 of 3,609
This is just the marketing way of saying. :)

Actually it make sense for them to actually deliver the DX50 with as good a sound as DX100. DX100 has been around for a while and a bit long in the tooth. Unless they have something better imminently lined up as new flagship, delivering sth on par with DX100 with a slightly lower pricing would made it an interesting competition against the irivers and Hifimans.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #986 of 3,609
The DX50 is a single wolfson dac player.

ibasso recently released the Mamba D42 DAC/AMP. Maybe we can take it as a reference point to how well the DX50 will sound?
The D42 with dual wolfson dac should outperform sound wise to the DX50 single wolfson dac, unless ibasso has a secret design around the single wolfson dac to make a difference.

From iRiver AK120, it would seem a dual wolfson dac can closely if not already equal the sabre dac in sound, just a different presentation and preference.
So a single woflson isn't likely to compete, unless, ibasso has cracked the magic code to delivering the same sonic quality on a different dac.

Am keeping expectations for the DX50 as real as possible. hoping for the best.

Just 2 days to go before July. iBasso .. price please.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #987 of 3,609
Quote:

ibasso recently released the Mamba D42 DAC/AMP. Maybe we can take it as a reference point to how well the DX50 will sound?
The D42 with dual wolfson dac should outperform sound wise to the DX50 single wolfson dac, unless ibasso has a secret design around the single wolfson dac to make a difference.

From iRiver AK120, it would seem a dual wolfson dac can closely if not already equal the sabre dac in sound, just a different presentation and preference.
So a single woflson isn't likely to compete, unless, ibasso has cracked the magic code to delivering the same sonic quality on a different dac.

biggrin.gif

I think the amp section and overall circuit/power design will be more critical than single or dual DAC chip.  But agree the D42 may be a good reference point.  

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #988 of 3,609
I just hope it has good SOUND (No. 1 priority), then a good interface (not too complicated) and last a decent battery life (10-15 hrs minimum).

Most imp, it should not need an amp/dac pairing for better sound quality. But since ibasso makes amp/dac, maybe they want it to be paired better with one.
angry_face.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #989 of 3,609
Quote:

biggrin.gif

DAC names tend to be marketing more than anything.

Time and time again it is assumed more DACs=better SQ, this is not the case.

Using two mono DACs can improve the dynamic range by a few dB, but this is not really necessary or useful in practice, when a single stereo DAC chip can achieve 110+ dB without major difficulty if implemented properly. Under realistic listening conditions, the ~96 dB dynamic range of 16-bit CD quality audio is good enough to make the noise floor inaudible.

More often than not, Each doubling of the number of DACs increases the SNR by 3db.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #990 of 3,609
Quote:
DAC names tend to be marketing more than anything.

Time and time again it is assumed more DACs=better SQ, this is not the case.

Using two mono DACs can improve the dynamic range by a few dB, but this is not really necessary or useful in practice, when a single stereo DAC chip can achieve 110+ dB without major difficulty if implemented properly. Under realistic listening conditions, the ~96 dB dynamic range of 16-bit CD quality audio is good enough to make the noise floor inaudible.

More often than not, Each doubling of the number of DACs increases the SNR by 3db.

Yup. Agree with you
smile.gif

Though in the case of the AK100, the extra dac sure came in useful. If only the price was just as useful. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back