Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Dec 22, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #2,542 of 3,012
Dec 24, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #2,544 of 3,012
I really love my Titan 1, I think they do everything right.  Bass is excellent, but what I find really addictive is the way they bring vocals out front, and the highs – cymbals, snares, etc.

I have some questions about frequencies, and what sounds come from what frequencies.

I am auditioning a set of Byerdynamic DT1350, largely on how Tyll rants about them.  He states that the midrange on them is excellent.  I thought the vocals I love so much on the Titan came from the mids, but I must be way off base on this?  The DT1350 are just plain laid-back compared to the Titan 1.  Vocals are distant in comparison to the Titan.  Tyll also states that the bass on the Beyer’s is “bottomless”.  To my ears, the Titan’s at least match, and I think exceed the bass in depth, though maybe not in quantity. 

My question then is, what are the frequencies that I love so much in the Titan 1 that bring out the vocals, or bring them so far forward?  I can understand that the highs bring out the cymbals and such, but is the treble on the Titan’s also what brings out the vocals?  That does not make sense to me, because I now also have a pair of Beyerdynamic T90, which are known to be very treble centric headphone, but once again, the vocals are way far off in the distance compared to my beloved Titan’s.

What I am hoping to find is a set of portable over, or on-ear headphones that can at least come close to the Titan’s sound sig.

BTW, I am in no way criticizing Tyll, as far as I am concerned he does a huge service with all the reviews and information he offers! 

Can anyone set me straight?

Thanks.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #2,545 of 3,012
  I really love my Titan 1, I think they do everything right.  Bass is excellent, but what I find really addictive is the way they bring vocals out front, and the highs – cymbals, snares, etc.

I have some questions about frequencies, and what sounds come from what frequencies.

I am auditioning a set of Byerdynamic DT1350, largely on how Tyll rants about them.  He states that the midrange on them is excellent.  I thought the vocals I love so much on the Titan came from the mids, but I must be way off base on this?  The DT1350 are just plain laid-back compared to the Titan 1.  Vocals are distant in comparison to the Titan.  Tyll also states that the bass on the Beyer’s is “bottomless”.  To my ears, the Titan’s at least match, and I think exceed the bass in depth, though maybe not in quantity. 

My question then is, what are the frequencies that I love so much in the Titan 1 that bring out the vocals, or bring them so far forward?  I can understand that the highs bring out the cymbals and such, but is the treble on the Titan’s also what brings out the vocals?  That does not make sense to me, because I now also have a pair of Beyerdynamic T90, which are known to be very treble centric headphone, but once again, the vocals are way far off in the distance compared to my beloved Titan’s.

What I am hoping to find is a set of portable over, or on-ear headphones that can at least come close to the Titan’s sound sig.

BTW, I am in no way criticizing Tyll, as far as I am concerned he does a huge service with all the reviews and information he offers! 

Can anyone set me straight?

Thanks.

This interactive chart is still the best I've found to explain vocal and instrumental frequency ranges:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #2,546 of 3,012
  My question then is, what are the frequencies that I love so much in the Titan 1 that bring out the vocals, or bring them so far forward?

I guess it's the lower treble and middle treble (and also the fact that the Titan 1 is slightly on the brighter vocal side). The tonal spectrum of vocals doesn't only consist of the mids but also on the ground-tone and parts of the treble (-> harmonics).
Headphones and IEMs that are moderately recessed in the presence area (lower treble) and middle treble are usually considered as being a bit more relaxed and less fatiguing (most IEMs and headphones feature a moderately recessed presence area, as this is the area where our hearing is the most sensitive).
With more lower treble (presence area) level, vocals are more upfront, "in your face", but also more fatiguing. If the area around 5 kHz shows a dip, vocals and mids are usually perceived as relaxed, but a too steep dip can result in a too relaxed midrange presentation and perceived veil.

The Titan 1 is not recessed in the lower and middle treble, whereas the DT1350 is, hence you perceive the DUNU as more upfront with vocals.

The T90 has, like most Beyerdynamic headphones, emphasised upper treble (which isn't really responsible for vocal perception).

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #2,550 of 3,012
Pics, pics, pics please! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back