DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jun 3, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #526 of 2,123
  Massdrop has the DN2k right now?

Just the DN2000 "J" right now but they offer the DN2000 and DN1000 as drops fairly often.  There's usually a spot where you can request a new drop.
Hope that helped...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #528 of 2,123

I would say 2000J meets that particular line between critical and fun factor. I can listen to an Ane Brun track concreting on her vocals, the depth, detail in her voice. (which has very good weight btw) in the mids. Or, I can play some electronic music, still be saturated in detail and taken into the song. This is just from casual listening.

It was probably me who you read recommending the T1 amp with DN-1000.

While I haven't heard the pairing for a long time I would advise the 2000J upgrade over the amp. 

2000J is higher performing than the T1 / DN-1000, especially in richness, detail and layering.

How do you like them with your Pono?  My 2000J has shipped...now the wait.

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #529 of 2,123

How do you like them with your Pono?  My 2000J has shipped...now the wait.

Well, its a tough one because we bring in that always questioned output impedance issue. Ideally, you want under 1ohm output impedance for DN-2000J. Pono having output impedance measured by Tyll of 3.27ohms isn't very convenient. 

But what the hell, let's plug them in anyway...

It sounds fractionally bright in tone, quite detailed but lacking some refinement. Little shakey around the mid-range, for example, holding dignity of female vocals. Pono definitely pushed through much of its signature and you gain that effortless, natural cross digital tone. Vocal sibilance is also present but I'm finding this across a few sources with FiiO X1 being the best behaved. Great clarity and detail though, just sounds a little uncontrolled in the mid-range.

But there's no glaring hollowness or sucked out sections usually present with OI mismatching.

Treble is quite well behaved.

You should like it, but just make note of the slighly lacking refinment. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #532 of 2,123

Well, its a tough one because we bring in that always questioned output impedance issue. Ideally, you want under 1ohm output impedance for DN-2000J. Pono having output impedance measured by Tyll of 3.27ohms isn't very convenient. 

But what the hell, let's plug them in anyway...

It sounds fractionally bright in tone, quite detailed but lacking some refinement. Little shakey around the mid-range, for example, holding dignity of female vocals. Pono definitely pushed through much of its signature and you gain that effortless, natural cross digital tone. Vocal sibilance is also present but I'm finding this across a few sources with FiiO X1 being the best behaved. Great clarity and detail though, just sounds a little uncontrolled in the mid-range.

But there's no glaring hollowness or sucked out sections usually present with OI mismatching.

Treble is quite well behaved.

You should like it, but just make note of the slighly lacking refinment. 

What DAC/amp has the recommended impedance of 1ohm for these?  Not looking like my e17 will be appropriate for these :frowning2:

I'm still learning...

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #533 of 2,123
What DAC/amp has the recommended impedance of 1ohm for these?  Not looking like my e17 will be appropriate for these :frowning2:

I'm still learning...

You will be fine with E17. Very nice, low output impedance.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/195#post_8051178

Guys, the output impedance of your source isn't a complete deal breaker in most cases. Ideally under 1ohm is preferred for the 8ohm 2000J, but it's not a 100% concrete. I would suggest trying with your own sources before running out buying a new one.

In many scenario they will sound fine.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #534 of 2,123
So deciding between this DN2000J and the Aurisonics ASG-2.5.  Hmm....which one should I get... so hard to decide.  I know the ASG-2.5 has more bass but other than that I don't know.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #535 of 2,123
So deciding between this DN2000J and the Aurisonics ASG-2.5.  Hmm....which one should I get... so hard to decide.  I know the ASG-2.5 has more bass but other than that I don't know.

They're quite different, specifically tonality. 2000J is brighter, more vibrant, ASG 2.5 warmer, thicker, deeper tone. Be sure you know which you prefer being deciding.

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #539 of 2,123
You will be fine with E17. Very nice, low output impedance.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/195#post_8051178

Guys, the output impedance of your source isn't a complete deal breaker in most cases. Ideally under 1ohm is preferred for the 8ohm 2000J, but it's not a 100% concrete. I would suggest trying with your own sources before running out buying a new one.

In many scenario they will sound fine.

Great news, thanks!  Very impressive you can find that spec in a post from 3 years ago.

Ok, *now* I'm looking forward to these...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back