DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jun 5, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #556 of 2,123

I think the sibilance is strong in that track because its the way it's recorded.  I just listened to it with the iDSD > 2000J, and yep it is pretty strong.  But I noticed very little sibilance with a lot of my testing with the Fiios.  Interestingly enough, I also tried the iDSD with the Alclair Curve (which is a pretty warm IEM), and the track was sibilant on those too.  So I think the actual track is a large part of the problem.

Cool, thanks for checking it out Brooko. Hitting just the right/wrong spots I suppose. Surprised me I wasn't getting much on the ex1000... I just tried the IM02 which is usually pretty good about skipping around or softening (not so piercing usually) and was pretty prominent there too...  Guess some stuff just not good for inears :frowning2:

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #557 of 2,123
Its not so much sibilance being present in a recorded track but the IEM's ability to roll it off or control it to maintainable levels.

Instead I sense the opposite, an emphasis.

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #558 of 2,123
Just tried that Ane Brun track with 2000J. Yeeeeeouch. Engineers please take pity, test-drive your ish with IEMs
ph34r.gif

As much as I'm enjoying 2000J, still dreaming of an IM02 with proper bass response...

Olasonic NAMI has been kind of interesting with sibilance to me, where the distortion is pretty audible but its not very piercing most of the time. Kind of an oddball, but I enjoy it. Just tried the Ane Brun and it's not so bad- again very audible but not terribly piercing... my John Foxx track is still pretty rough though.

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #559 of 2,123
It's definitely in the track Luke - I just tried both the ones you listed - first with the 2000J and then with the Curve. It's muted on the Curve to a certain extent - but it's still there (that Brun track is harsh though - it's how she enunciates her SSSes).  I can only imagine how bad it would be on a brighter source.

I just think the 2000J is being honest with the track.  Try it with the Delta (black filters) Luke. We both know how reasonably balanced and smooth the Delta is - and the sibilance is coming up on those too.

Interesting that DUNU's graph shows a drop in the 6-14kHz range - which is where the sibilance would normally be at it's worst.  It'll be interesting to see Tom's graphs when they are ready.

I guess I struck it lucky - the sibilance is not bad (with the Fiios) for most of my female artists.

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #560 of 2,123
Its always present with most IEM to some extent in that Brun track and good for examination of threshold levels.

I still think 2000J is being overly honest than true to recordings. 

I will bring it up in my review but you know me Paul, the members will surely decide once their 2000J arrives.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #563 of 2,123
Yep I'm using Sony Isolation tips

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #564 of 2,123
Guys, I must say all of this sibilance talk has me worried. I am very anti ssss. Almost considering not opening them and just selling them. My curious side wants to hear them. I also know we need more people giving opinions.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #565 of 2,123
Well, I'm just being 'straight up homie' about it, how I personally hear it. Maybe it won't bother you guys.

Time will only tell for the individual. Last thing I want to do is freak everyone out. I wouldn't place any final verdict before listening.  

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #566 of 2,123
Guys, I must say all of this sibilance talk has me worried. I am very anti ssss. Almost considering not opening them and just selling them. My curious side wants to hear them. I also know we need more people giving opinions.

If its in the recordings, chances are you'll hear it.  If it's not - you won't.

The examples earlier in the thread from both H20 and Raketen also showed up sibilance in my Trinity Deltas and also Alclair Curve.

I haven't noticed a lot of sibilance with most of my recordings - mind you I'm not treble sensitive. I'd still advise you to try them out.  They're fantastic IEMs 
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #567 of 2,123

If its in the recordings, chances are you'll hear it.  If it's not - you won't.

The examples earlier in the thread from both H20 and Raketen also showed up sibilance in my Trinity Deltas and also Alclair Curve.

I haven't noticed a lot of sibilance with most of my recordings - mind you I'm not treble sensitive. I'd still advise you to try them out.  They're fantastic IEMs 
wink.gif

You know I am accustomed to the Velvets which could be the end game for many. They just do a real good job...period.  I am excited to hear the the 2000J.

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #569 of 2,123
  Well, I'm just being 'straight up homie' about it, how I personally hear it. Maybe it won't bother you guys.

Time will only tell for the individual. Last thing I want to do is freak everyone out. I wouldn't place any final verdict before listening.  

I appreciate you telling us the positives AND NEGATIVES. That is something that doesn't happen as often as I'd like on headfi. Keep up the honesty. It helps potential buyers. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #570 of 2,123
No, I appreciate all of the opinions. I don't freak out, but others are saying the same thing. I just know, while I am not treble sensitive, I am sibilance sensitive. A couple of files here and there no big deal, but if it is a characteristic it is a big deal. I myself give positives and negatives whether it is popular or not. The PM-3 folks wanted to come at me with pitchforks and torches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back