Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread
Jan 22, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #648 of 2,536
You guy's really should be checking out the Stoner Acoustics UD110 DAC for your Dunu. I'm running them at the moment from the little USB DAC into Tralucent T1 amp with mighty impressive results. You can check it out in the link below.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626632/tiny-dac-big-sound-evolved-impression-of-stoner-acoustics-ud100-ud110

+1 about the sibilance, I don't hear it personally. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #649 of 2,536
  While I love these phones, I do hear a bit of sibilance in them (FLAC & 320Kbps tracs) I've tried using small-bored vs wide-bored tips and still the same thing.

Do I need to burn these in a bit more? This is the only dealbreaker as I still have time to return them for a full refund.

It's probably in the recording. 

My DN1000s show a hint of sibilance if I listen to a track which I know is sibilant.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #653 of 2,536
  How would you say this compares with the 3X? 

3X is more energetic and has more sparkle, though the downside is that slight spike in lower treble/upper mids, despite that, it's not the fatiguing sparkle if you know what I mean

The mids are about as good as each other IMHO, DN-1000 is smoother and fuller, whereas 3X is more forward, and in a way similar mids to the R-50, so depends on signature preference.

The bass is also about as good as each other, DN-1000 has bigger impact and fuller, 3X's has somewhat less impact, though more refined and quicker, so yeah again, depends on signature preference of the listener, it's pretty much quantity vs quality

Soundstage, DN-1000 is bigger and 3D, 3X's is wide, but vocal is pretty much in the head

Transparency, detail, imaging, and separation, 3X has the upper hand...rightly so as they cost double the DN-1000's

You'll see what I mean in about a week and a half mate...
wink_face.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #654 of 2,536
Yeah, I was expecting them to be somewhat better as the price suggests. 

Can't wait to hear them! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #655 of 2,536
While I love these phones, I do hear a bit of sibilance in them (FLAC & 320Kbps tracs) I've tried using small-bored vs wide-bored tips and still the same thing.

Do I need to burn these in a bit more? This is the only dealbreaker as I still have time to return them for a full refund.

Try playing the same tracks on different source(s) and see. Looks like you just purchased it as you have ample time to return them? If so how long it'd been into burnin process? Looks like it still needs some serious burnin.

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #657 of 2,536
The sibilance was indeed part of the recording. Tested it with a few of my IEMS (XBA-40s, HF5s)

*Any burn-in changes with the dynamic driver?

Currently my rig consists of an film-cap modded Ipod 5g(Rockbox), and a JDS Labs C5 amp. The only other DAP i've tried was the Sansa Clip Zip and while the sound is great, the soundstage is severely compressed. Would it be worth it to get a better DAP/AMP or this is as good as it gets? (And yep, it is very good 
L3000.gif
)

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #658 of 2,536
I'm so jelly of everyone who has a pair of these. All this time I'm spending saving up to get them is agonising.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #659 of 2,536
The sibilance was indeed part of the recording. Tested it with a few of my IEMS (XBA-40s, HF5s)

*Any burn-in changes with the dynamic driver?

Currently my rig consists of an film-cap modded Ipod 5g(Rockbox), and a JDS Labs C5 amp. The only other DAP i've tried was the Sansa Clip Zip and while the sound is great, the soundstage is severely compressed. Would it be worth it to get a better DAP/AMP or this is as good as it gets? (And yep, it is very good :L3000: )

I can't imagine that it gets a ton better without spending big time coin. The 1000s aren't very power hungry after all so amping isn't going to impact hem as noticeably as something like an ER4.

I thoroughly enjoy mine with my ipod 5.5 and Fiio E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back