DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
May 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #436 of 1,091

This sounds even better in FLAC-True Lossless format on 250ohm DT-990s. You can find the whole album on a torrent file sharing site,...

Favorites are Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel, Chrono Trigger - Main Theme, Luigi's Mansion - Main Theme, Batman Arkham City - Main Theme, and Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Fate of the Unknown.

it is really funny that a few days ago I got this on my computer by the Orchestra and it has never sound better than when I am on my DT990, well it sounds pretty amazing on my soundMagic HP100, and for a closed can it does really well without feeling cramped, very musical and a nice contrast from the DT 990. Loving both of these headphones. I definitely say I feel as though the DT 990 has to be one of the best headphones you can get many times under 200$, personally I know this one was bought brand new for 129.88$...seriously awesome. As far as the sound Magic Hp100 I could not be happier at the current moment for an easier driven headphone(compared to the 990) to use at night on my phone, when the girl is sleeping.

May 4, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #437 of 1,091

This sounds even better in FLAC-True Lossless format on 250ohm DT-990s. You can find the whole album on a torrent file sharing site,...

^^ This is very BAD ADVISE !!! ^^

Downloading from torrent file sharing sites will get you a Digital Media Rights Act violation and possibly a hefty fine.  Do not download from torrent sites !!!!

Just purchase a sub to Spotify for $10.

May 5, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #438 of 1,091
I got mine at $130 from Amazon too, it's a steal for something like this I'd say.

May 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #439 of 1,091
I got mine at $130 from Amazon too, it's a steal for something like this I'd say.

Most definitely is and I got the HP100 for around 100$ on top of it so I basically just over 200$ for two headphones that are normally considered best picks for 200$. Was very happy unfortunately my sound card has been acting strange, with not working some of the times and having to restart the pc to get it to work. I just ordered the Fiio e11 for a steal of a price at 25$. I am looking for a desktop dac/amp for my desktop set up though. How long have you been using your DT 990? and do you notice a decent difference after burn in period?

May 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #440 of 1,091
  Most definitely is and I got the HP100 for around 100$ on top of it so I basically just over 200$ for two headphones that are normally considered best picks for 200$. Was very happy unfortunately my sound card has been acting strange, with not working some of the times and having to restart the pc to get it to work. I just ordered the Fiio e11 for a steal of a price at 25$. I am looking for a desktop dac/amp for my desktop set up though. How long have you been using your DT 990? and do you notice a decent difference after burn in period?

I'm running it off the onboard sound card, definitely not the ideal setup.
Looking to get a Schiit Magni somewhere down the road.

After a few weeks of using them, the highs aren't piercing anymore. Previously I have to eq the 8k region down about -3~5dB.

May 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #441 of 1,091
A question for the video game music lover, could you find a perfect rip version of skyrim ost? The flac and mp3 version I found...for example, from kickass torrent, r both having recording flaw or rip flaw, and they are audible with Q701 and DT990. 

May 7, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #442 of 1,091
  A question for the video game music lover, could you find a perfect rip version of skyrim ost? The flac and mp3 version I found...for example, from kickass torrent, r both having recording flaw or rip flaw, and they are audible with Q701 and DT990. 

I wish I could I have been only recently re-introduced to downloading higher quality music files. I honestly am very happy that I got back into one of my favorite passtimes, but it is funny as while reading this I was listening to the Skyrim: Far horizons. It sounds really good even from the Spotify which I am almost positive is 96hz/24. Maybe not all the files but definitely the files from London Philharmonic Orchestra. Final Fantasy 8 intro song still gives me the chills. God I love the game, and I believe I am going to be playing it on pc today.

May 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #443 of 1,091
Also, I am about 60hrs + burn in with the  DT 990s, where I feel as though they have really opened up further with the sound stage, the separation is more detailed and distinct. I believe that the treble though more pronounced than some may like has tightened up and mellowed a bit as from the beginning with these cans. The bass feels more dead on as well, but then again I am new to looking for these things with headphones and could be so offf my rocker with this lol. I just know what I hear and feel if t at makes sense. Happier than I was only 5 days ago. Listened to them through the Fiio e11 and was surprised how well they sounded with the lesser headphone amp

May 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #444 of 1,091
I have actively researching amps for the DT-990 but I have not read very many reviews about the Schiit Vali with this phones. Has anyone have this combination and how they sound paired up?

May 7, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #445 of 1,091

I wish I could I have been only recently re-introduced to downloading higher quality music files. I honestly am very happy that I got back into one of my favorite passtimes, but it is funny as while reading this I was listening to the Skyrim: Far horizons. It sounds really good even from the Spotify which I am almost positive is 96hz/24. Maybe not all the files but definitely the files from London Philharmonic Orchestra. Final Fantasy 8 intro song still gives me the chills. God I love the game, and I believe I am going to be playing it on pc today.

Far horizon is beautiful but there are many other my favourite tracks in skyrim ost. 

Sovngrade, tooth and claw , steel on steel, dragon born .... they r my favourite tracks for hifi test .

In 2011, I played skyrim straight 100hours , stopped because it was bugged and felt uncomfortable with the story full of devil cult.
I have been listening to the ost for nearly 2 years. Because the imagination living within the tracks r so great, i repick the game a week ago, bought all dlc , and modded it. Also because I have a better machine to run it at ultra right now + superior speaker and headphone, compare to mid/low 2 years ago. The result is an immersive experience. 

Back to dt990 , I think the in game music r not so great due to mid quality mp3 r used in game. I do wish they r having HD DTS tracks.  

May 7, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #446 of 1,091

Far horizon is beautiful but there are many other my favourite tracks in skyrim ost. 

Sovngrade, tooth and claw , steel on steel, dragon born .... they r my favourite tracks for hifi test .

In 2011, I played skyrim straight 100hours , stopped because it was bugged and felt uncomfortable with the story full of devil cult.
I have been listening to the ost for nearly 2 years. Because the imagination living within the tracks r so great, i repick the game a week ago, bought all dlc , and modded it. Also because I have a better machine to run it at ultra right now + superior speaker and headphone, compare to mid/low 2 years ago. The result is an immersive experience. 

Back to dt990 , I think the in game music r not so great due to mid quality mp3 r used in game. I do wish they r having HD DTS tracks.  

To the top concerning the way the music makes you feel, are we related? lol and to the bottom I wish this was so because listening to in game music I have had to live with the less than sound quality that some of the game have.  

May 9, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #447 of 1,091
I got my headphones recabled by cCasper TFG again. Originally I had him turn the 990's into a pair of headphones w/ microphone and I just didn't like having the microphone on the 990s. I also wanted a bigger plug so I went with a canare F12. Casper is an absolute must for all recable work, fast service, quality work and insanely fast response time. 

8 wire mogami cable w/ Canare F12 3.5mm connector

May 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #448 of 1,091
Well I've had my DT 990 premiums (250 Ohm) for about a month now. At first I thought maybe I made a mistake.... but I had them plugged straight into my PC with the crappy built in sound. Bought a uDac2 DAC and things improved dramatically! Then I added a Bravo Audio Ocean and it got even better. Totally thrilled (blown away actually) with them now. I even plugged them into my Pioneer DIR 1000 Dolby Headphone amp for movies and they sound fantastic.

I can highly recommend the Bravo Ocean (tube amp) as a great match for the 990's.

I was able to get the premiums for $230 brand new off eBay from Pro Audio Star and can highly recommend them as well.

May 10, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #450 of 1,091
Well I've had my DT 990 premiums (250 Ohm) for about a month now. At first I thought maybe I made a mistake.... but I had them plugged straight into my PC with the crappy built in sound. Bought a uDac2 DAC and things improved dramatically! Then I added a Bravo Audio Ocean and it got even better. Totally thrilled (blown away actually) with them now. I even plugged them into my Pioneer DIR 1000 Dolby Headphone amp for movies and they sound fantastic.

I can highly recommend the Bravo Ocean (tube amp) as a great match for the 990's.

I was able to get the premiums for $230 brand new off eBay from Pro Audio Star and can highly recommend them as well.

Which is the udac 2 is that from nuforce? and I was looking at the bravo audio ocean before as far as amps go. I am going to be getting one down the road but for now I am thinking about getting the udac 2 for a really goo price. Or if I cannot and I have to wait until i can work again(hopefully soon) I will probably grab the little mini Sabre dac and use it with my S3 phone along with the Fiio e11. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back