Downgrading from D7000...Needs more Mids
May 9, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #31 of 46
I have the Fostex T50RP orthos mentioned earlier in this thread and thier ability to convey voices in a realistic manner is astonishing to me. The highs are also just right: not bright and fatiguing. However, the bass is where they fail - it just isn't there and eq'ing it up still doesn't sound right - and so I am also looking for a new headphone that retain the great mids, highs, detail, and instrument separation of the Fostex but add deep, solid bass. They say the Fostex can be modded but haven't really felt like monkeying with them myself. Too bad the two new orthos out recently are so expensive. If either of them came in closer to $400 I would be ordering them.

The Beyer 600 ohm dt990s are currently selling for just a little over 200 bucks. Could they be the answer when combined with a tube amp?

May 9, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #32 of 46
I would but M50 would be a purchase for portable use not for home use with an amp.

As for bass. After owning the D7000 I heard a HF2 and called that bass light. And I know HF2s are not considered to be "bass-light " cans.

The DT990 were supposed to be recessed in the mids as well due to their bass.

May 9, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #33 of 46

Quote:

the DT880'600, both don't have enough bass for fast paced music though.

This is definitely true for the 250ohm 880's, but i have not tried out the 600ohm  version to be 100% sure since many have said that the 600ohm 880's solve all the problems that the 250ohm have + give it a tighter/deeper bass authority.

why not the DT770/600? $199 from B&H, balanced very well, bass is definitely there and MacadenionHero also sold his D7000 for the DT770's and he praises them very well.

May 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #34 of 46

Quote:
...MacadenionHero also sold his D7000 for the DT770's and he praises them very well.  

I think I actually prefer the DT770/600s now. Initially the D7000s hit you like a really amazingly rich chocolate cheese cake you are are floored by the rich and lushness of the sound. Then like eating that rich cheese cake, about 3/4s into it, you're kind of fed up. The only coloured headphone to continue having me come back for more is the Grado RS1/RS1i.

The DT770/600s are very balanced headphones and if you need a good balanced closed headphone, I have not heard anything better to date. And as they are balanced so well, they don't wear out their welcome and are much better all rounders.

Again, that's not to say I didn't like the D7000s (now sold), I really did like them and who knows, I might again own them one day.

May 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #35 of 46
Just a thought:

Thought about trying the MarkL mod? I got mine modded and I sense no recess in vocals at all. Can't explain it as well as the others here, but it seems the resonance damping in the cups helps to keep the bass at bay and frees up the mids quite a bit. In fact, I find my modded 7ks the best for vocals of any phone I've tried (Grado RS80s & G1Ks, HD650s, various Sony models).

Doesn't cost a lot to have done, and even less if you're a courageous DIYer.

Best of luck in any case.

Mike

May 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #36 of 46

Quote:
I think I actually prefer the DT770/600s now. Initially the D7000s hit you like a really amazingly rich chocolate cheese cake you are are floored by the rich and lushness of the sound. Then like eating that rich cheese cake, about 3/4s into it, you're kind of fed up. The only coloured headphone to continue having me come back for more is the Grado RS1/RS1i.

The DT770/600s are very balanced headphones and if you need a good balanced closed headphone, I have not heard anything better to date. And as they are balanced so well, they don't wear out their welcome and are much better all rounders.

Again, that's not to say I didn't like the D7000s (now sold), I really did like them and who knows, I might again own them one day.

Well I must admit I think you are crazy now :wink: but out of curiosity, do the DT 770 hold low notes as perfectly steady as the D7000, or do they simply punch? Getting nice punch from a headphone is not really hard to find, getting them to hold low notes and go deep without distorting is very hard and the D7000 unique in that respect if you ask me.

Did you amp them with SS or with a tube btw? I would imagine anything adding the slightest bit of bloom, lush, or warmth would really alter for the worse peoples impressions of them.

I got a new Concerto, which has a discrete volume control, so the sound is excellent and perfectly matched, no matter the volume level, and I have been listening to the D7000 at low volumes lately and they REALLY shine. A la Skylab I suppose :p. They keep their low bass command, but everything is quiet enough that them being closed doesn't cause them to bloat at all.

Been thinking of eventually trying the DT 880 600ohms. Something fairly "neutral", like the HD 600, with more detail would do well in my home XD.

The AD2000 interests me too though because supposedly there is actually bass for an open phone... If I could get those low low notes without any compromise I would be in heaven XD... but until then the D7000 is HARDLY purgatory :wink:

May 9, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #37 of 46

Quote:
Well I must admit I think you are crazy now :wink: but out of curiosity, do the DT 770 hold low notes as perfectly steady as the D7000, or do they simply punch? Getting nice punch from a headphone is not really hard to find, getting them to hold low notes and go deep without distorting is very hard and the D7000 unique in that respect if you ask me.

Did you amp them with SS or with a tube btw? I would imagine anything adding the slightest bit of bloom, lush, or warmth would really alter for the worse peoples impressions of them.

I got a new Concerto, which has a discrete volume control, so the sound is excellent and perfectly matched, no matter the volume level, and I have been listening to the D7000 at low volumes lately and they REALLY shine. A la Skylab I suppose :p. They keep their low bass command, but everything is quiet enough that them being closed doesn't cause them to bloat at all.

Been thinking of eventually trying the DT 880 600ohms. Something fairly "neutral", like the HD 600, with more detail would do well in my home XD.

The AD2000 interests me too though because supposedly there is actually bass for an open phone... If I could get those low low notes without any compromise I would be in heaven XD... but until then the D7000 is HARDLY purgatory :wink:

Crazy? I think I explained myself on why the D7000s eventually wore me out...I also said that some time away from them, I might be tempted to go back sometime down the road.

I think you might be upset about the Hab's loss yesterday
tongue_smile.gif
. At least they're still in the playoffs! The Leafs have yet to make the playoffs in my two kids' lifetimes!

The D7000's low bass (sub 50Hz) is not it's strong suite IMO, after you hear the HD800s
wink.gif
. The DT770/600s sound much more like the DT880/600 (and being a fan of that sound) I really like this balance (which is why I prefer the DT770/600 with a much wider range of music). Both the DT770 and 880s go pretty deep and the DT770s offer slightly more impactful bass.

For all my full sized cans, I pretty much just stick with tubes. For the higher beyer impedance cans, tubes really shine with them and I wholeheartedly recommend them as a great match.

May 9, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #38 of 46
Hmm I'll look more into the DT770s. I kind of wanted to give open cans a try again but I don't hate the sound of closed ones.

And i do not want to mod my cans. I believe they should be the way the manufacturer intended to make them. And I think MarkL mod is a load of poppycock (as nicely as I can put it) as the guy's reviews are always pushing stuff on other people saying it wouldn't sound good until blah blah blah.

What really grabbing my interest is the AD2000. I do not know why. But I must control impulsive buys =[

May 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #39 of 46

Quote:
Crazy? I think I explained myself on why the D7000s eventually wore me out...I also said that some time away from them, I might be tempted to go back sometime down the road.

I think you might be upset about the Hab's loss yesterday
tongue_smile.gif
. At least they're still in the playoffs! The Leafs have yet to make the playoffs in my two kids' lifetimes!

The D7000's low bass (sub 50Hz) is not it's strong suite IMO, after you hear the HD800s
wink.gif
. The DT770/600s sound much more like the DT880/600 (and being a fan of that sound) I really like this balance (which is why I prefer the DT770/600 with a much wider range of music). Both the DT770 and 880s go pretty deep and the DT770s offer slightly more impactful bass.

For all my full sized cans, I pretty much just stick with tubes. For the higher beyer impedance cans, tubes really shine with them and I wholeheartedly recommend them as a great match.

Haha nah I was just teasing... plus I don't even watch hockey... Yes my father is disappointed in me, no need to ask ^__^.

50hz comment has be wondering a bit tough. I really wish I could audition the HD 800s. I would probably end up saving the money and dropping it on them if they do go low enough, but I have owned a fair amount of headphones and none do the low grumbles and growls like the D7000. Not saying you aren't right, just saying I would be surprised and delighted, but from what I have read this is a standout comment.

All the headphones I have heard, I have owned personally because there is simply nowhere to audition them in Montreal that I know of, or anywhere close by at any rate. Bad in the sense that I waste a lot of money, but good in the sense they my impressions are as extensive as they could get and gear/music is 100% my own.

I might end up going with the DT 990/DT 880 600ohm for the lulz eventually, but I don't know because I don't need yet another headphone with powerful bass and highs that stick out, or a headphone with light bass and forward mids and highs. But, it would be nice to have a HD 600 of  sorts, with a bit more bass, and more extension and detail. HD 600 are nice and relaxing - smooth, but they gloss over a fair amount of detail imo compared to my other headphones.

If you are ever in Montreal and feel like bringing your HD 800's along, let me know :wink:. Plus, I would be interested to see what you think of my D7000 with the Concerto -it might surprise you.

May 11, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #40 of 46

Quote:
Another popular headphone that I haven't really done research on is the HD650. I heard about the abundant bass and the veil but never really anything in terms of the mids. I assume the veil mean its not a bright headphone which I somewhat come accustom to since the D7000 do deliever somewhat bright highs. I guess what I am really looking for is something like the HF-2 but with more of a soundstage and not so in your face.

I personally feel that a well-amped HD650 may be exactly what you need. No, it's not a "bright" headphone, but it has ample detail, smooth and wonderful mids and good but not overwhelming bass. With a bit of EQing, I find them to be a wonderfully balanced set of cans.

May 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #41 of 46

Quote:
I personally feel that a well-amped HD650 may be exactly what you need. No, it's not a "bright" headphone, but it has ample detail, smooth and wonderful mids and good but not overwhelming bass. With a bit of EQing, I find them to be a wonderfully balanced set of cans.

Detail is not a strong suit of the HD 600 IMO. Maybe the HD 650 are much different but from what I have read they just have more bass. :/

Don't get me wrong though, they are a very enjoyable headphone!

May 11, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #42 of 46

Quote:
Detail is not a strong suit of the HD 600 IMO. Maybe the HD 650 are much different but from what I have read they just have more bass. :/  
Don't get me wrong though, they are a very enjoyable headphone!

I can understand this point of view. For me, a very judicious EQing brings out the very little bit of apparent detail that the HD650s seem to be missing on their own. I know this is anathema to some people, but it's been working great for me.

May 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #43 of 46

Quote:
Just a thought:

Thought about trying the MarkL mod? I got mine modded and I sense no recess in vocals at all. Can't explain it as well as the others here, but it seems the resonance damping in the cups helps to keep the bass at bay and frees up the mids quite a bit. In fact, I find my modded 7ks the best for vocals of any phone I've tried (Grado RS80s & G1Ks, HD650s, various Sony models).

Doesn't cost a lot to have done, and even less if you're a courageous DIYer.

Best of luck in any case.

Mike

I agree. And you don't have to do the whole thing to get the best part of this mod.

I put some Dynamat Extreme on the backs of the drivers and a ring of it around the rear of the driver baffle and it was like night and day.
Later I removed the Dynamat from around the baffle and left the quarter sized piece on the back of the drivers and found very little difference in the sound.

In any case, the dominating bass was my motivation for turning to this mod.  A little bit of Dynamat Extreme on the backs of the drivers will control that bass and let the mids come out.

May 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #44 of 46

Quote:

50hz comment has be wondering a bit tough. I really wish I could audition the HD 800s. I would probably end up saving the money and dropping it on them if they do go low enough, but I have owned a fair amount of headphones and none do the low grumbles and growls like the D7000. Not saying you aren't right, just saying I would be surprised and delighted, but from what I have read this is a standout comment.

All the headphones I have heard, I have owned personally because there is simply nowhere to audition them in Montreal that I know of, or anywhere close by at any rate. Bad in the sense that I waste a lot of money, but good in the sense they my impressions are as extensive as they could get and gear/music is 100% my own.

I might end up going with the DT 990/DT 880 600ohm for the lulz eventually, but I don't know because I don't need yet another headphone with powerful bass and highs that stick out, or a headphone with light bass and forward mids and highs. But, it would be nice to have a HD 600 of  sorts, with a bit more bass, and more extension and detail. HD 600 are nice and relaxing - smooth, but they gloss over a fair amount of detail imo compared to my other headphones.

If you are ever in Montreal and feel like bringing your HD 800's along, let me know :wink:. Plus, I would be interested to see what you think of my D7000 with the Concerto -it might surprise you.

I loved the subwoofer impact bass on the D7000s, don't get me wrong, I was a fan. But with regards to depth, bass control, and detail the HD800s are untouched IMO. The T1s are very close, but offer slightly more impact (so I prefer the T1's bass presentation overall, but the quality goes to the HD800s).

If you're ever in Toronto, drop by as well, or try Bay Bloor Radio. They have an entire headphone section with the best selection of headphones in Canada for you to try: HD800, D7000, PS1000, etc...

In the meantime, this longtime suffering Leaf fan will be grudgingly cheering for the Habs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back