Downgrading from D7000...Needs more Mids
May 9, 2010 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

happyxix

100+ Head-Fier
As much as I loved my D7000, I and a big vocals fan and these are always behind the bass of the D7000.

I want something that can push the mids and highs but still not completely dead in the bass. I will definatly think everything is dead in the bass after owning the D7000 but please let that adjustment be as painless as possible. I like the sound of grados, however the none-exist soundstage and fit is not cutting it for me.

Any cans, open or closed can give me something that I want? I amp curious on the K701 but everyone say its bass light. If anyone had both or listen to both, how big is the transition would you say? The same is said for the DT880.

HD600? I do not want warm mids though. Forward maybe, but not warm. I got rid of my tube amp because It make me feel uncomfortable because of that.

May 9, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 46
You could try the D5000. They are certainly on my list once I have the funds available.
wink.gif

May 9, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 46
If you want more mids but want to keep a fair amount of the bass, the W1000X is the perfect headphone for you sir!

May 9, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 46
Get the beyer dt150s and replace the pads with the dt100 velour pads. What you'll get are even and present mids with good bass. Burn them in for at least 50 hours and you're set.

May 9, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 46
I'll look more into the DT150s as I have not read about them much (kinda ugly though =\)

If the AD900 is just the AD700 on steroids, then I do not want. Never liked AD700s. The AD2000s are too expensive though.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Keep em coming =D

May 9, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 46
I'm a big fan of my Pro 750s.  Fantastic bass, yet pretty balanced (to my ears).  I like acoustic guitar work and hearing the vocals in my brain (as opposed to hearing voices inside my head), and they do very well.  $250.

May 9, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 46

Quote:
I'm a big fan of my Pro 750s.  Fantastic bass, yet pretty balanced (to my ears).  I like acoustic guitar work and hearing the vocals in my brain (as opposed to hearing voices inside my head), and they do very well.  $250.

I am a big fan of the Pro 750, and they do have very nice bass... but they are not exactly what I would call mid-centric like OP wants. Probably more similar to the D7000 than one would think actually.

May 9, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 46

Quote:
I like acoustic guitar work and hearing the vocals in my brain (as opposed to hearing voices inside my head)

Haha was this supposed to be a funny? Of course everything we hear is in our brain which is inside our heads...

Op, have you thought about Beyers DT250 or 48E, something along those lines?

May 9, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #13 of 46
If you want mids my vote is for the SA5000, I did a lot of research before I purchased them, and a lot of people said they are cold sounding and are very revealing on bad sources. However to my surprise I find them really fun sounding, this is paired with my EF2A and in terms of bad sources 192+ mp3s are good enough.

May 9, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #15 of 46
SA 5000 definiatly pushes voices in front of the instrumentals. If you want clarity they are an excellent choice... I don´t think they sound to great when they really get up there though and they are not the most realistic in tone either.. Maybe it´s something with my DAC19 since it roll off the highs. Female singers going high sound quite weird at times.

You could try the Fostex T50RP... Dirt cheap, quite uncomfortable and doesn´t isolate much despite being closed but they do have a great mid range and very believable vocals.. KeeS modded Pro 900 are great as well even though they don´t really have a bias for voices like the SA5000. They are quite flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back