Downgrading from D7000...Needs more Mids
May 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 46

Quote:
You could try the D5000. They are certainly on my list once I have the funds available.
wink.gif

No. Recessed mids. 

May 9, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #18 of 46
the d7000 is a very good can. you can bring out the mids by damping the bass. putting in dampening
material, like micro-fiber that is sold in clothing excessory websites, will tone down the lower
freqs. this will bring out the mids that was previously impeded. don't use any of the sticky stuff
that vendors use either. just use micro-fibers between the back of the driver and wood cup. the more
you put in, the more bass is dampened. i've come to believe the d7000 can be just as good as
any closed cans with simple mods like this to fit your personal listening enjoyment.

and when they are on sale, you can pick one up for around $540

May 9, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #19 of 46
I think you should explore going the ortho or 'stat route. Both can have very serious bass alongside truly outstanding mids.

May 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #20 of 46
There are quite a bit of analytical headphones being suggested like the SA5000. I never really heard a pair of analytical and not sure if I would like them.

Another popular headphone that I haven't really done research on is the HD650. I heard about the abundant bass and the veil but never really anything in terms of the mids. I assume the veil mean its not a bright headphone which I somewhat come accustom to since the D7000 do deliever somewhat bright highs. I guess what I am really looking for is something like the HF-2 but with more of a soundstage and not so in your face.

And I just got a new SS amp and don't feel like plopping down the effort to go stats...at least not the "affordable ones"
wink_face.gif

May 9, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 46
From my experience, the HD650 have bit of forwardness to them in lower mids, but attenuated upper mids, resulting in that warm sound.  You can bring it out more with right amp/DAC matching though.  I loved the mids on the HD650 and it was probably one of my favourite things about it.

May 9, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #22 of 46
Audio Technicas are famous for having forward mids, but it might be too forward for you. It's not that bad for the ESW10JPN, which I'm most familiar with, and it has very nice bass to match. But of course it's limited in soundstage and some detail, there's also a bit of subtle tone it can't handle (with my current setup, there's a bit of limitation in the mids - I just can't get it to sounds right with the Open Your Ears 'Stuck in a Moment' track, there's something about this voice and the acoustics of the room that none of my headphones can get 'right' - the way I heard it with both Burson -> K701 and ->T1). 

May 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 46

Quote:
There are quite a bit of analytical headphones being suggested like the SA5000. I never really heard a pair of analytical and not sure if I would like them.

Another popular headphone that I haven't really done research on is the HD650. I heard about the abundant bass and the veil but never really anything in terms of the mids. I assume the veil mean its not a bright headphone which I somewhat come accustom to since the D7000 do deliever somewhat bright highs. I guess what I am really looking for is something like the HF-2 but with more of a soundstage and not so in your face.

And I just got a new SS amp and don't feel like plopping down the effort to go stats...at least not the "affordable ones"
wink_face.gif

Then I'd recommend trying one of the orthos (HE-5LE or LCD-2) - I think a combination of present, forward, clear mids and truly punchy bass is tough to come by in a headphone. I personally don't think the 650 will do it for you, as it sounds like the complains you have about your D7000 may well carry over to the 650 (and having heard both, potentially be even more acute, IMO).

May 9, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #24 of 46
Yea I was reading into the HE5 and such but way too much for me to consider. From what I read the AD2000 might suit me as I have a large female singer collection and go like colored sound somewhat. WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE EXPENSIVE.

May 9, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #26 of 46
King of mids?

K701, of course, and the DT880'600, both don't have enough bass for fast paced music though. MS Pro solves that issue, but you need to mod them to get away from that Grado bang-on-the-eardrums soundscape. HD800, that is K701/DT880'600 in higher res. An old Stax SR-Lambda Professional also isn't bad...

May 9, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #27 of 46

Quote:
Yea I was reading into the HE5 and such but way too much for me to consider. From what I read the AD2000 might suit me as I have a large female singer collection and go like colored sound somewhat. WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE EXPENSIVE.

Aren't they both pretty close to the cost of the D7000?

May 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #28 of 46
Yea I heard the K701 doesn't have the bass for bass heavy music. Since I don't care for bass-lite headphones I think I will pass on the k701 even though I did some research on them because they were supposedly good at mids.

And the keyword in this thread is downgrade...aka save myself some money. The HE is almost the cost of the D7000 and the AD2000 is currently $500 which I also do not want to spend. However the reviews on these headphones are VERY TEMPTING. Saving over $100 is still saving right?
darthsmile.gif

May 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #29 of 46
K701. 

K701s are not bass light, they just are driving them with bass-light amps. You can get lots of low end on the K701. Nothing approaching the D7000 though, I'm sure. (have not heard D7000).

I'd avoid Beyers, From my experience they are notoriously bad at mids. But have not heard the DT880 600. 

May 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #30 of 46

Quote:
Yea I heard the K701 doesn't have the bass for bass heavy music. Since I don't care for bass-lite headphones I think I will pass on the k701 even though I did some research on them because they were supposedly good at mids.

And the keyword in this thread is downgrade...aka save myself some money. The HE is almost the cost of the D7000 and the AD2000 is currently $500 which I also do not want to spend. However the reviews on these headphones are VERY TEMPTING. Saving over $100 is still saving right?
darthsmile.gif

Well, if you really want to save yourself some money.... how about the Shure 750DJ or the ATH M50. Great mids, great bass, saves you tons of cash. Deficient soundstage, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back