Does RCA switcher degrade audio quality?
Mar 12, 2018 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Heinstar

New Head-Fier
I'm using this RCA switcher by Sescom: https://www.amazon.com/Sescom-SES-AUDIO-AB-Stereo-Audio-Switch/dp/B008BMLXAU.

I switch between DarkVoice 336SE and Schiit Jotunheim. I've decided to use two amps because Rock, Rap and Vocal songs tend to sound better on DarkVoice while EDM tend to sound better on Jotunheim.

I'm using my Sennheiser HD600 for the DarkVoice and HD650 with 4pin XLR for Jotunheim. HD600's clear mids seems to pair better with DarkVoice, while HD650's pronounced bass seems to pair better with Jotunheim.

This is how they're set up:
Mac mini > Tidal/Audirvana Plus > Audioquest Forest USB A to B > Schiit Elitr > BLJ Coaxial 6ft > Schiit Modi Multibit > 3ft BJC RCA > Sescom A/B switcher > 3ft BLJ RCA to Darkvoice 336SE & 6ft BLJ RCA to Jotunheim

I've also done other things to maximise audio quality:

So far, I haven't noticed any degradation in audio quality. But I prefer to not take any risk in potentially worsening audio quality by using RCA switches. But at the same time, prior to using RCA switches, I was disconnecting and reconnecting the RCA cables to switch amps which was eventually going to wear out the RCA cable and the RCA output of the amp over time.

So my question is, are RCA switches known to degrade audio quality? Do audiophiles stay away from using them?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 32
are RCA switches known to degrade audio quality?
Not as far as I know. In fact we often have switches in our chain like an input selector on an amp, a muting relay, etc.

Do audiophiles stay away from using them?
Of course they do. Your are not going to combine your 2000$ interlink with a 30$ switchbox.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 32
From what I'm researching so far, it seems like while it's unlikely for the RCA switcher to degrade the sound significantly, there's still a possibility for it to be degraded slightly. Especially with the cheap RCA switcher I'm using.

Are there any high quality audiophile grade RCA switcher that's guaranteed to not cause ANY degradation in audio quality from cross-talk and adding of resistance?

Alternatively, if not using the RCA switcher is the best way to avoid any potential degradation in audio quality, I don't mind dis/reconnecting the RCA cable to switch amps either. In fact, I prefer it that way if it means there will be zero risk of audio degradation.

My main concern with that was the wear and tear to the end of the RCA cable and amp's RCA output from reconnecting constantly. Do they sell some type of replaceable shielding material that you can put at the end of RCA cable or the amp's RCA output to prevent wear and tear?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 32
Bump.

Anyone know of any aftermarket 'thing' you can put on at the end of the RCA cable or the amp's RCA output to prevent wear and tear from the constant dis/reconnect?

If the wear and tear is inevitable, I'd be okay with replacing RCA cables now and then. But is it possible to replace the RCA output on amps and is it doable yourself?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 32
Bump.

Anyone know of any aftermarket 'thing' you can put on at the end of the RCA cable or the amp's RCA output to prevent wear and tear from the constant dis/reconnect?

If the wear and tear is inevitable, I'd be okay with replacing RCA cables now and then. But is it possible to replace the RCA output on amps and is it doable yourself?

I'd be interested in answers/thoughts as well (wanting to use an HDMI switcher to isolate my CATV as it introduces hum to my system) and for the RCA situation. Almost thinking that getting a pair of those female-female connectors between RCA cables would help a lot. Yes, the connector might introduce or allow something not wanted into the signal stream.....but it might be better than possibly wearing out the RCA connectors on a component (maybe unlikely) and would allow for easier switching between other components.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 32
Schiit SYS might be worth looking at if you aren't happy with your sescom switch.

If you want a buffer for the RCA connector to not wear out, you could get a pair of 90 degree RCA adapters and mount them.

41IZOeeISrL.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 32
you probably have more variance in the sound due to the SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT position of the headphones on your head each time you listen more than with the switch. I am of the opinion, though, that all connections degrade the signal to a very small degree.

Thinking out loud for a moment, but wouldn't one amp at the cost of your two combined be better yet? Then again what fun would that be, haha.

May 11, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 32
From what I'm researching so far, it seems like while it's unlikely for the RCA switcher to degrade the sound significantly, there's still a possibility for it to be degraded slightly. Especially with the cheap RCA switcher I'm using.

Are there any high quality audiophile grade RCA switcher that's guaranteed to not cause ANY degradation in audio quality from cross-talk and adding of resistance?

Alternatively, if not using the RCA switcher is the best way to avoid any potential degradation in audio quality, I don't mind dis/reconnecting the RCA cable to switch amps either. In fact, I prefer it that way if it means there will be zero risk of audio degradation.

My main concern with that was the wear and tear to the end of the RCA cable and amp's RCA output from reconnecting constantly. Do they sell some type of replaceable shielding material that you can put at the end of RCA cable or the amp's RCA output to prevent wear and tear?
Look at this: http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZSB.html
I own it. It's not cheap, but it is very, very good. No change in sound can be detected; at least by me.

May 29, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 32
I'm using this RCA switcher by Sescom: https://www.amazon.com/Sescom-SES-AUDIO-AB-Stereo-Audio-Switch/dp/B008BMLXAU.

I switch between DarkVoice 336SE and Schiit Jotunheim. I've decided to use two amps because Rock, Rap and Vocal songs tend to sound better on DarkVoice while EDM tend to sound better on Jotunheim.

I'm using my Sennheiser HD600 for the DarkVoice and HD650 with 4pin XLR for Jotunheim. HD600's clear mids seems to pair better with DarkVoice, while HD650's pronounced bass seems to pair better with Jotunheim.

Mac mini > Tidal/Audirvana Plus > Audioquest Forest USB A to B > Schiit Elitr > BLJ Coaxial 6ft > Schiit Modi Multibit > 3ft BJC RCA > Sescom A/B switcher > 3ft BLJ RCA to Darkvoice 336SE & 6ft BLJ RCA to Jotunheim

So far, I haven't noticed any degradation in audio quality. But I prefer to not take any risk in potentially worsening audio quality by using RCA switches. But at the same time, prior to using RCA switches, I was disconnecting and reconnecting the RCA cables to switch amps which was eventually going to wear out the RCA cable and the RCA output of the amp over time.

So my question is, are RCA switches known to degrade audio quality? Do audiophiles stay away from using them?

I'll step into these waters.

I wanted the same flexibility as the OP in choice of amp. In my case, I'm going from an iMac Pro via USB to a Benchmark DAC3 DX to one of three amps: the Bottlehead Crack/Speedball, Bottlehead Mainline or Koss ESP-950. I've got a Sescom but found it a bit inconvenient and limited (though I heard no appreciable sound degradation). I researched and found offerings to be scarce. The best of what's available appeared to me to be from Decware and Goldpoint. Both of these are around $400.

In the end, I decided to build my own and ordered a Hammond enclosure, DH Labs RCA jacks (4 pr.) and an Elma selector switch. The parts cost was roughly $260. For wiring, I used what was left of a 2M pair of solid silver balanced interconnect I repurposed to make three pair of single-ended interconnects. I have listened both with and without the switch box in the circuit and can detect no difference. What I gained was the ability to drive any one of my three amps with the turn of a dial.

If you're comfortable doing a little soldering, you can build a box for a lot less than I spent by sourcing less expensive RCA jacks.

For reference, I've attached a few images.

34394516_1992253630849630_478431503911485440_n.jpg
IMG_1824.jpg

Best,

Joe.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 32

Easiest way to answer this is dont worry about it. Any electrically measurable difference you could see due to your RCA switcher is going to be insignificant compared to changes you could hear by upgrading to better quality equipment or upgrading the electrical components inside your current equipment.

That BLJ Coax cable is the most critical link in your chain as you want it to have proper impedance. If you want to be anal about interconnects, though just make sure the termination on your RCA are gold-plated copper or brass bodies, silver-plated copper is even better. But this doesnt mean you'll hear it. And it won't really matter if the manufacturers of your equipment used Nickel-plated Jack's, anyway.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 32
hey everybody .. facing the same problem with the exact same question. running out of RCA inputs on my amp... so I started looking for a switch and am still asking myself " will I sacrifice quality introducing this thing into the chain?" well well
being in EU ... the sescom that @Heinstar mentioned ( and I´ve seen it quite a few times in other US based reviews) is not available in EU. Same is true for decware of @Rizlaw (I have never heard of decware)

I found this
https://www.dynavox-audio.de/produkte/spalte1/umschalter/aux-s-eingangs-erweiterungumschalter.html
(I think the hp is german only, sorry for that)
Dynavox is german company - device looks pretty solid - gold connectors etc... its round 70 euro which is totally OK for what it looks like I think.
Maybe anybody here who has this unit in the chain ? experience?

@JTori - nice setup, beautiful box that you build
@Heinstar - I enjoyed your original post - quote: " So far, I haven't noticed any degradation in audio quality" .. well, there you go, what else is there to say :wink:

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 32

Ok this is not the purist answer necessarily, BUT its free to try and easy to implement. If the interwebs are to believed, both those amps have pre outs. Try ditching the switcher and running to one amp and then preout to the other amp. Try each one as the first amp, and see which combo you like best. There are now 2 volume controls but you can set the second amps vc to where it works best with the 1st amps vc. My dac has a vc and I set my amps vc at about 40%, though I could max the amp if I wanted to, the 40% range gives me more volume control range on the dac. My guess is that the schiit-> Darkvoice setup will be prefferred. Imagine if the Darkvoice had the bass of the Shciit. Anyhow its easy to try.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back