DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #1,846 of 4,464

On ebay. Just setup your account to receive notification whenever a new U52 is posted for sale. Luckily I was able to grab a tube from within my own country,

On further listening to the U52, I'm hearing fatter, looser bottom end compared to the Philips 5R4GY. And tight, punchy bottom end is what the EML 5U4G excelled at so... if you listen to a lot of modern music with strong bass, the EML might be the way to go.

Good assessment on the U52 and EML 5U4G! U52 has a smoother high and a larger soundstage, while EML 5U4G has a punchier bottom which sounds more engaging to me. I think it also depends on the upstream gears and personal preference to determine which rectifier is more suitable, definitely good to have both to compare in your own system.

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,847 of 4,464
For you rectifier hunters, here' one to try: The VT-244 (Jan-CRC-5U4G) made in America by RCA, Sylvania, National Union and Ken-Rad, but the latter three look awfully much alike.  You can pick them up, used on EBay, for around $50/ea, the older the better.  Look closely, they will indicate they are VT-244 on the base.  They are distinguished by having two long rods in the middle, black smooth plates, and a u-cup getter at the bottom.  I like them.  That's the only recommendation I can give (and I'm the guy who couldn't abide the HD800).

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #1,849 of 4,464
I'll check it out, Frihed. I have an RCA tube similar in construction but with a brown base and a "Radiotron" label. Extremely musical sounding with the HD800 that I actually prefer it over the U52 for modern music. The U52 is very resolving with the HD800 and probably better suited to Classical and jazz.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #1,852 of 4,464
am I the only one that is unimpressed by the EML 5U4G in general?Its a decent tube vs the cheaper options out there, but isnt in the same league as the U52. The U52 destroys it. Ive never heard it on a Stratus, but then again, I have never considered the U52 to have less bass than EML, nor have I ever felt the U52 to have loose or fat low end.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,853 of 4,464
Check out my new custom Stratus cover:

Made by Stan at http://www.radiodustcovers.com/

I had him customize his standard design with the cutout in front and the DNA logo. Made locally (California) and a great guy to deal with. Recommended.

What are your thoughts on the Taurus vs. the Stratus? I own the Vega and Taurus Mk.II and have a Stratus due in September. I would be most interested in your impressions

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #1,855 of 4,464
What are your thoughts on the Taurus vs. the Stratus? I own the Vega and Taurus Mk.II and have a Stratus due in September. I would be most interested in your impressions

Both amps are top tier with their own unique sound signatures. Depending on the phones, I could happily live with either amp as my primary. The Stratus has a touch more of that tube roundness and juiciness, and has the impedance switch which I really find effective. The Taurus is a bit drier, but has more of a iron grip on everything. Both are musical and very satisfying in their own way.

John

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,856 of 4,464
That's a gorgeous dust cover. Definitely a must consider. I might have to sell a couple of rectifier tubes for the extra funds.

am I the only one that is unimpressed by the EML 5U4G in general?Its a decent tube vs the cheaper options out there, but isnt in the same league as the U52. The U52 destroys it. Ive never heard it on a Stratus, but then again, I have never considered the U52 to have less bass than EML, nor have I ever felt the U52 to have loose or fat low end.

I liked the EML 5U4G when paired with the EML 2A3. It completes the overall EML super-smooth modern sound and, admittedly, it also completes the look, if you already have the EML 2A3. Seeing three beastly tubes on the Stratus has a bit of wow factor.

Sound wise, sure I'll take the Philips 5R4GYS and even the RCA 5R4GY over the EML, especially with modern music. Love the U52's mid to top sound but it's bottom end I find lacking in control, speed, texture and punch for modern stuff like rock and edm.

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,857 of 4,464
  For you rectifier hunters, here' one to try: The VT-244 (Jan-CRC-5U4G) made in America by RCA, Sylvania, National Union and Ken-Rad, but the latter three look awfully much alike.  You can pick them up, used on EBay, for around $50/ea, the older the better.  Look closely, they will indicate they are VT-244 on the base.  They are distinguished by having two long rods in the middle, black smooth plates, and a u-cup getter at the bottom.  I like them.  That's the only recommendation I can give (and I'm the guy who couldn't abide the HD800).

Out of the tubes mentioned above I really favor the Ken Rad CKR-5U4G. It's my rectifier at the moment on the Stratus. Great balanced, musical sound with superior detail and soundstage depth compared to the other VT-244's.

The CKR is distinguished by its unique top mica separated in three pieces, side supports with a "=" shape, ribbed plates, and bottom pan-getter (not the usual "D"). I have seen a few 1940s RCA's with similar construction. So perhaps it's an RCA tube?

I like the other VT-244's also, on first impression. The National Union has a nice balanced "all-round" sound, similar to the smooth plate RCA. Similar construction, too, so probably made by RCA. The ribbed plate Sylvania seems airier and has a touch less bass than the others - probably best for lighter music. The Raytheon, with a unique "H" shaped top plate, is nicely balanced with a bit more treble detail than the rest. Even though the CKR separates itself from the pack with its overall refinement, you can't go wrong with any of these tubes. (Sometimes having too much refinement can be unforgiving!) 

On another note, I recently received the HE560 and it sounds sublime on the Stratus! I have the TRS selection on "Low" which gives it a fuller low end than "IEC". The 560 sounds great with modern music and matches well with pretty much all the 2A3's I threw at it. Predictably, the EML 2A3 meshplates (the planar master!) came out on top.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #1,858 of 4,464
The HD800 loves this rectifier on the Stratus...

The Raytheon VT-244 5U4G with the "H" shaped top plate. Super warm mids with full bottom end and just enough treble detail to produce a lovely 3D soundstage. Pair it with some NOS Sylvania 2A3 grey biplates and you have a very pleasant musical fit for the HD800 without breaking the bank. It also sounds nice with the W3000ANV but I feel the ultra-refined Brimar 5R4GY brings out more of the 3000's top end detail and sharpens up the imaging. Another great combo!

Really loving rolling tubes on the Stratus right now.

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #1,860 of 4,464
I have a Tung Sol 5U4GB. Good musical tube with full bloom and nice intimate soundstage but kind of flat. It also sounded like the Westinghouse 5U4GB I used to have and the Sylvania 5U4GB I currently have. Hear one 5U4GB and you've heard them all.

I prefer the coke bottle version of the tube which offers more refinement and seems to produce a wider variety of sound, though 5U4G's from the 1950s and 60s do start sounding same-y. When you dig deep into the 1940s, you start uncovering gems and start noticing character traits of each brand, as you are closer the house sound of the OEM (before it became diluted in the 50s, 60s and onward). I'm getting the fullest, warmest midrange with the Raytheon and Sylvania VT244's as well as a great sense of space. The impressive depth of stage of the CKR and the stage width of the CNU/CRC's are a step up from their 1950s non military counterparts. It's almost a revelation.

I'm also expecting good things from an incoming Tung Sol VT-244, the supposed king of all 5U4s. I have a 50s Tung Sol 5U4G and strangely it sounded a lot like a 50s RCA and 50s Sylvania.

The coke bottle 5R4GY also produces a sound of their own and differences with each brand.

Oh the joys of tube rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back