DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jun 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,831 of 4,464

This is my "standard" config as of now and it's working out very well also.  Sometimes I swap in some Sylvania 2A3's to switch things up (dual flat plates or spring tops), you should try this with the Audeze stuff as I've found it's a better match.  The Natural Sound is just perfect for the HD800.

Congrats to the new Stratus owners.....epic stuff awaits you truly.....Stratus has scratched my itch for upgrading equipment.  Got the GS-X coming (apples and oranges) so I think I'll be good for a long time with my equipment for head fi.   Will post some impressions to compare down the line.

Thanks for suggestion about Sylvania dual plates. They are on my list. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #1,832 of 4,464
This is contrary to everything I have heard from a few sources who making their livings in the valve industry but you have heard both sets and I have not

Your sources may be right. It could be different factories for RCA producing different sounding tubes, specifically for Sylvania. Thats purely a guess. But there is definitely a characteristic Sylvania sound. Very forward mid, nice smooth top and tight low end. RCA dual plates not as refined IMO, at least on the Stratus.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,833 of 4,464
Possible long shot, but has anyone compared the DNA stratus to the Questyle CMA800R?  I have the questyle, and enjoy it with my HD800's but I already have a SuSy Dynahi so am thinking a tube amp would be a better compliment vs another SS amp.  Thanks.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,834 of 4,464
Well, I've finally got my U52. Not bad. Not bad at all...

Only had a brief listen and noticed an almost immediate refinement over the RCA 5U4G. Spacious and holographic! When paired with the Sophia Princess 2A3 and Westinghouse 6B7QA tubes, I hear the biggest sound stage I've heard on the Stratus so far.

Also picked up the Philips 5R4GY based on Dubstep Girl's fantastic rectifier list.

The Philips tube sounds great with the EML's. Nice clear, forward sound that reminds me of the EML 5U4G (which I sold recently). Costs only a fraction of the EML price.

The RCA 5U4G is now relegated to backup status ... which is not bad. Not bad at all.

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #1,835 of 4,464
  Well, I've finally got my U52. Not bad. Not bad at all...

Only had a brief listen and noticed an almost immediate refinement over the RCA 5U4G. Spacious and holographic! When paired with the Sophia Princess 2A3 and Westinghouse 6B7QA tubes, I hear the biggest sound stage I've heard on the Stratus so far.

Also picked up the Philips 5R4GY based on Dubstep Girl's fantastic rectifier list.

The Philips tube sounds great with the EML's. Nice clear, forward sound that reminds me of the EML 5U4G (which I sold recently). Costs only a fraction of the EML price.

The RCA 5U4G is now relegated to backup status ... which is not bad. Not bad at all.

Did you get rid of the EML 5U4G? How much of an improvement is the U52 over the EML?  

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,837 of 4,464

I get better holographic sound stage on the U52 along with super-smooth and clear top end. The EML doesn't nearly image as well. I don't have the EML with me to do a direct comparison though.

Did you get yours on ebay? I am finding hard enough to come by the U52

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,839 of 4,464

I saw an ebay posting for 2 matched NOS Marconi U52's, I think from Holland. When's your Stratus due in BTW?

September. Can you send a link? Is it the one with no picture added?

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #1,842 of 4,464
  Did you get yours on ebay? I am finding hard enough to come by the U52

On ebay. Just setup your account to receive notification whenever a new U52 is posted for sale. Luckily I was able to grab a tube from within my own country,

On further listening to the U52, I'm hearing fatter, looser bottom end compared to the Philips 5R4GY. And tight, punchy bottom end is what the EML 5U4G excelled at so... if you listen to a lot of modern music with strong bass, the EML might be the way to go.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #1,843 of 4,464

On ebay. Just setup your account to receive notification whenever a new U52 is posted for sale. Luckily I was able to grab a tube from within my own country,

On further listening to the U52, I'm hearing fatter, looser bottom end compared to the Philips 5R4GY. And tight, punchy bottom end is what the EML 5U4G excelled at so... if you listen to a lot of modern music with strong bass, the EML might be the way to go.

I will probably end up getting both - I do mostly listen to music recorded between 1955 - 1979 so maybe the U52 is the way to go firstly. 
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/191219631249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

thanks those are black base - and are they re-branded? I wonder if they sound as good as the brown base or is there any difference at all? I might check DG's rectifier thread. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,844 of 4,464
I recently scored a Brimar 5U4G. I had never heard of them making them but a friend came across a few NOS from a collector. I figured for $120 it was worth a shot. I won't have my stratus until September though to report on it

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #1,845 of 4,464
If it's early manufacture Brimar, then nice find. I was about to pull the trigger on this Brimar 5U4G but noticed the "Made in Russia/Foreign" bit in the description. Apparently, this company did some out-sourcing with their tubes in their later production period. Supposedly tubes from this period do not sound as nice as early production tubes. All speculation though.

I am very curious about this Fivre 5R4GY or this Fivre 5U4GB.

Tube rolling is fun ... but hurts the wallet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back