DIY Earbuds
Nov 26, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #226 of 4,726
Hey anyone got a preferred source on y splitters? Also anyone know the size of cardas VE uses - is it 26 gauge?

About to order 10 rhodium 3.5mms from China mail. The price is too good to not just deal with the wait. Maybe it will give me time to get used to the sound of the plain asura 2 again.

10pcs Rhodium plated carbon fiber 3.5mm Stereo 3 Pole Male Plug 90 degree Audio Connector solder free shipping
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32662695283/32662695283.html
(from AliExpress Android)

Those look good. What would you use for strain relief in a connector like that? I know some of the Ali sellers sell that sort of thing but not sure of the size.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #228 of 4,726
that metal crimp & heatshrink seem like they'd do well enough.... now we need the DIY Cable moulding thread lol.

Hey anyone got a preferred source on y splitters? Also anyone know the size of cardas VE uses - is it 26 gauge?

About to order 10 rhodium 3.5mms from China mail. The price is too good to not just deal with the wait. Maybe it will give me time to get used to the sound of the plain asura 2 again.

10pcs Rhodium plated carbon fiber 3.5mm Stereo 3 Pole Male Plug 90 degree Audio Connector solder free shipping
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32662695283/32662695283.html
(from AliExpress Android)

On the veclan page for Zen it says 26-something AWG

idk anything about making cables, but plussound have some y splitters in their DIY Parts section and a 20% black friday sale atm (probably still pricy but they look nice).

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #230 of 4,726
That looks great! Well done...how do they sound?

On all of the braided cables I've bought the green is right and red is left for some reason. No idea why they did it that way. I use my DMM to check every set just to be certain though.

I never did reply to your post. They sound great. Detailed with a good soundstage and pretty good bass. I think they edge out Sony E252 and become my favorite vintage earbuds. However some newer ones like Sennheiser OMX980/MX985, Blox TM7 and the Cypherus earbuds beat the V99. But V99 would definitely be in the top if they were released today.

I'll see if I keep it as it is or replace the plug with a neutrik plug...

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #232 of 4,726
Go all the way dude. Get a Eidolic on that bad boy.

edit: SHE3800 owners.... is it glued shut?

Yes but you can pry it open with your fingers. You'd better to move the cable inwards first as the cable is thin and can break from the driver plate. :thumbsup:

And don't forget to add a small amount of Blu-Tac on the back shell. :wink:

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #233 of 4,726
ozkan what kind of blu tac do you recommend or is there only one kind?

I am not too worried about the wires themselves but i dont want the driver to get wrecked so i will be sure to loosen the cable first.

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #234 of 4,726
ozkan what kind of blu tac do you recommend or is there only one kind?

I am not too worried about the wires themselves but i dont want the driver to get wrecked so i will be sure to loosen the cable first.

That's what I meant actually because the drivers aren't properly glued on the front covers and could easily be separated and damaged. I have broken 3 drivers while moding. :grin: However I haven't broken any Monk yet.

SHE3800 has one of the most fragile drivers I've ever seen and any kind of force can easily make them disfunctional so be careful and don't resolder the drivers and even touch them :grimacing:

I've used Faber Castell's blutac but I think the other brands are also made of the same material.

Nov 27, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #235 of 4,726
that metal crimp & heatshrink seem like they'd do well enough.... now we need the DIY Cable moulding thread lol.
On the veclan page for Zen it says 26-something AWG

idk anything about making cables, but plussound have some y splitters in their DIY Parts section and a 20% black friday sale atm (probably still pricy but they look nice).

Haha totally missed the crimp in the image. Should totally have a cable moulding thread lol.

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #236 of 4,726
Haha totally missed the crimp in the image. Should totally have a cable moulding thread lol.

Damn. Totally thought this litz wire i bought was gonna be a ton thicker. But it is about as wide as the leads in many headphone wires so i am hoping it will be sufficient i could always buy a bigger size of wire or double up on all my connections.

Actually after braiding one cable up im not so sure itll be thick enough after all... Only one way to find out! To be honest I'll surprised if it works at all...

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #237 of 4,726
Hehe. Its not very pretty. But it works great! This wire has a surprisingly bright tone for pure copper.

edit: The reason it is so bright despite being clear? almost a..... silver cable tone with bass?! the cable has a resistance of under 1.5 ohms!!!! I've never worked with headphone wire this low resistance. This will be very interesting.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #238 of 4,726
Hehe. Its not very pretty. But it works great! This wire has a surprisingly bright tone for pure copper.

edit: The reason it is so bright despite being clear? almost a..... silver cable tone with bass?! the cable has a resistance of under 1.5 ohms!!!! I've never worked with headphone wire this low resistance. This will be very interesting.

Outlandishly large plug? Check

Impractical cable? Check

Bright sound signature? Check

Pizza box? Check

Congratulations, you are now Grado Labs. Are you in Brooklyn?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #239 of 4,726

I love it.  I've got all sorts of franken-creations like that in my shop...mostly guitar pedal monstrosities though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back