DIY Earbuds
Nov 29, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #241 of 4,726
HAHAHA!

we don't like to consider NY part of new england out here.... But close enough!

Nice. 

I am a recovering Grado-nerd. I still have a crazy soft spot for vintage nineties iterations of their stuff. I also turn my own wooden cups for them, and do a lot of custom building....my Instagram:

instagram.com/fleasbaby

My latest non-earbud love is a pair of Nakamichi SP-7 drivers in a semi-closed Grado cup. The Primo drivers Nakamichi used are rumored to be from the same line that old Joseph Grado used to make his HP series. Not the same model, but in the same series made by Primo. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #242 of 4,726
Damn I always wanted a set of those Nakamichi headphones! If I ever see a good deal on em I'll grab em. BTW I'm about to try an 8 wire cable with the super thin litz wire I have. I have thicker stuff on the way that's just a bit smaller than 24AWG but I'm excited to try the 8x wire method. I got some 2mm cable sleeving too since it'll be nice for finishing up wire.

Dec 3, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #243 of 4,726
Think I found a cheap source for shells

MX500 Stereo Headset Earphone Heavy Bass Music Earpiece with Volume Adjustment for MP3 FM Radio Mobile Cellphone FM PC Laptop
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32498425938/32498425938.html
(from AliExpress Android)

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #244 of 4,726
The left driver from earbuds that came with my Agptek m20 died unfortunately due to me forcing it back on to the shell. Really bummed about this as they had become hands down my absolute favorite. Really solid low end, present mids and still a very nice soundstage.

I put the drivers from she3800 in those shells(mx360 style) and it's pretty good! Was a huge struggle to make them fit due to the she3800 driver shell curvature but finally got it. Low end isn't quite as solid, but the drivers are brand new and haven't burned in.

I contacted Agptek and they said the OEM manufacturer would sell me 60 units for 9 bucks each lol. I was like, can I buy 4? :)

I'm trying to track down a set of Sennheiser mx360 because I think they might be very close. I've discovered I much prefer the mx360, 365, 760 type shell over the mx500 due to fit and comfort. Wish it were easier to obtain shells.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #245 of 4,726
The left driver from earbuds that came with my Agptek m20 died unfortunately due to me forcing it back on to the shell. Really bummed about this as they had become hands down my absolute favorite. Really solid low end, present mids and still a very nice soundstage.

I put the drivers from she3800 in those shells(mx360 style) and it's pretty good! Was a huge struggle to make them fit due to the she3800 driver shell curvature but finally got it. Low end isn't quite as solid, but the drivers are brand new and haven't burned in.

I contacted Agptek and they said the OEM manufacturer would sell me 60 units for 9 bucks each lol. I was like, can I buy 4?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm trying to track down a set of Sennheiser mx360 because I think they might be very close. I've discovered I much prefer the mx360, 365, 760 type shell over the mx500 due to fit and comfort. Wish it were easier to obtain shells.

Wow 9 bucks a pop. That is wild. Sorry to hear about your m20 though - my Vido died a very premature death the same way the other day. Heard that heartbreaking "crunch" sound.....

BTW do you use blu tac in your earbuds? I have just started to mess with it. Seems it can do some quite awesome things for the sound.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #246 of 4,726
Wow 9 bucks a pop. That is wild. Sorry to hear about your m20 though - my Vido died a very premature death the same way the other day. Heard that heartbreaking "crunch" sound.....

BTW do you use blu tac in your earbuds? I have just started to mess with it. Seems it can do some quite awesome things for the sound.

I've tried the ozkan blutac mod in the she3800 to great success. I actually just got 10 pairs of she3800 that I will be recabling tomorrow along with ozkan's mod. Xmas present time!

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #252 of 4,726
Dear guru's of DIY, I am getting ready to recable my some of my earbud once I reach my hometown. 

My question is, is there anything in particular to look out for?

I have seen too many horror stories of killing the driver when trying to reshell....etc.
My main concern is the diaphragm with the voice coil would separate from the magnetic base as illustrated in the picture I found from a Chinese Forum.

Question then, I would be free from such issues if I do not remove the front plastic cap of the earbud correct?
Final question, is it normal for the voice coil to separate from its base like the picture?

Thank-you 

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #253 of 4,726
Dear guru's of DIY, I am getting ready to recable my some of my earbud once I reach my hometown. 

My question is, is there anything in particular to look out for?

I have seen too many horror stories of killing the driver when trying to reshell....etc.

My main concern is the diaphragm with the voice coil would separate from the magnetic base as illustrated in the picture I found from a Chinese Forum.

Question then, I would be free from such issues if I do not remove the front plastic cap of the earbud correct?

Final question, is it normal for the voice coil to separate from its base like the picture?

Thank-you 

I have had this happen on an she3800. The adhesive holding the plastic cap onto the driver itself came apart. That was one out of about 15 that I have done now. I would not worry about this happening though as the cap SHOULD be glued on securely. If all goes like it should you should never see diaphragm/coil.

All you have to do is pop off the cap, resolder existing wire and solder on the new wire.

One gotcha to look out for...when tying the knot for the new cable inside the shell, make sure the lead is fairly short. I left one too long and when I went to put the driver assembly back on there was too much pressure on the back of the driver which caused the coil leads to snap....RIP driver lol

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #254 of 4,726
I have had this happen on an she3800. The adhesive holding the plastic cap onto the driver itself came apart. That was one out of about 15 that I have done now. I would not worry about this happening though as the cap SHOULD be glued on securely. If all goes like it should you should never see diaphragm/coil.

All you have to do is pop off the cap, resolder existing wire and solder on the new wire.

One gotcha to look out for...when tying the knot for the new cable inside the shell, make sure the lead is fairly short. I left one too long and when I went to put the driver assembly back on there was too much pressure on the back of the driver which caused the coil leads to snap....RIP driver lol

Oh wow! Thanks! That is very valuable knowledge!

Thank-you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back