DIY Earbuds
Nov 10, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #196 of 4,726
Seems crazy to me that it is cheaper to buy a set of monk + than it is to buy individual components haha.  I was trying to find an inexpensive set of drivers to replace the monk+ set that I messed up in my modding adventures.  Cheapest I can find is like 8 bucks :)

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #197 of 4,726
Check this out - something VERY RARE. Can you guess what it is?

Trick question - it's a  Philips SHE3800 re-cabled using an old KZ IEM. The KZ had good cable/jack and poor SQ (they improved since then).  I gifted it to a forum member since the jack didn't work well with my LG V10 (static, activating Google voice etc). To my surprise I got back the above. Works great with my V10 and field testing now. This is what makes Head-Fi great!

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #198 of 4,726
I just ordered another 10x she3800 and upgrade cables for Xmas gifts. I really do like the driver in this bud... especially for 2.80 USD a piece :)

Think I will re-cable and then give to friends with a case/foams for the holidays.

Interested to see what kind of reaction I get when giving these away. I can already picture the reaction..."Oh...you put new wires on ear buds? Thats..interesting. Thanks. I guess." Lol

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #199 of 4,726
I just ordered another 10x she3800 and upgrade cables for Xmas gifts. I really do like the driver in this bud... especially for 2.80 USD a piece :)

Think I will re-cable and then give to friends with a case/foams for the holidays.

Interested to see what kind of reaction I get when giving these away. I can already picture the reaction..."Oh...you put new wires on ear buds? Thats..interesting. Thanks. I guess." Lol

If you gave that to someone,you'd better get a better thank you than that

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #200 of 4,726
Same here :wink:

Well, my KZ cables are great and all, but looking for something a little more premium. Anyone got good suggestions for cables on Ali or other places which are nice and don't have any trouble fitting in a MX500 shell? I didn't bother getting cables on 11.11 cause none were on sale.

Thanks all =)

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #201 of 4,726

Well, my KZ cables are great and all, but looking for something a little more premium. Anyone got good suggestions for cables on Ali or other places which are nice and don't have any trouble fitting in a MX500 shell? I didn't bother getting cables on 11.11 cause none were on sale.

Thanks all =)

Cheapest I have found are from this store:

Check out this recommended store on AliExpress. Find great products at low prices!
http://s.aliexpress.com/yU3QfYve

The braided ones are 5.50 for a set of 2. I have bought 4 so far and they seem to be good quality.

http://s.aliexpress.com/EzYbEzai

I think these look nice as well and are the same price:

http://s.aliexpress.com/ZRraeqmi

I'm all ears if someone knows of other good deals!

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #202 of 4,726
Cheapest I have found are from this store:

Check out this recommended store on AliExpress. Find great products at low prices!
http://s.aliexpress.com/yU3QfYve

The braided ones are 5.50 for a set of 2. I have bought 4 so far and they seem to be good quality.

http://s.aliexpress.com/EzYbEzai

I think these look nice as well and are the same price:

http://s.aliexpress.com/ZRraeqmi

I'm all ears if someone knows of other good deals!

7N single crystal copper cable. little bit pricey but looks nice..

http://s.aliexpress.com/YJ3mmeEv

Nov 13, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #205 of 4,726
I found my next re-cable project.

These are the earbuds that came with the very inexpensive Agptek M20 DAP (same as Benjie S5). Surprisingly very good sounding. I had heard that the Benjie s5 came with a good set of earbuds. From the photos I saw, those came in an MX500 shell. The Agptek shell is very different. These things seem to fit in my ears much better than the MX500 style. They also have a large open vent on one side.

Very curious as to what's inside. I will disassemble and report back.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #206 of 4,726
If anyone isn't happy with their Qian39 or K's 64 ohm as is, both are excellent modding candidates. But, be aware you'll need to tape down the K's driver. They are SUPER magnetic!

It started with me wanting to use the K's shell and cable for the Qian39 driver - sounded good Mostly like the stock sound but improved in a few ways, mostly balance and detail. A very forward sound with very present mids but still with very good soundstage and dynamics.

What really surprised me was putting the K's 64 driver on the Koss cable and Qian39 shell. The drivers on both are attached to the shell cover, and the cover on the K's is bigger than the 39's. So K's driver fit very easily on the 39 shell, where the 39 driver on the K's shell was a lot more difficult. Anyway, I had been listening to the K's 64 all day, and didn't like it because of a weird uncomfortable and unnatural sounding treble and just average bass. But in the Qian39 shell the bass is far improved and the treble has become totally warm and comfortable while still having an excellent extension!

Maybe the qian39 shell is actually what emphasizes the bass the most? I can't tell which of these Frankenbuds I like more, but I can easily say I'm extremely happy with both! The K's 64 driver in the Qian39 shell is possibly better than a stock Qian39 and the K's shell and silver cable brings out tons more of the 39's driver's capabilities while also keeping the bass from being too overpowering. I still love the stock 39's sound with all that powerful bass but there is no question I am extremely happy with the results of both of these.

sometimes you just need to swap cables and shells on 2 you don't like a ton to get 2 winners! like i said before - 2 birds with 1 soldering iron...

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #207 of 4,726
If anyone isn't happy with their Qian39 or K's 64 ohm as is, both are excellent modding candidates. But, be aware you'll need to tape down the K's driver. They are SUPER magnetic!

It started with me wanting to use the K's shell and cable for the Qian39 driver - sounded good Mostly like the stock sound but improved in a few ways, mostly balance and detail. A very forward sound with very present mids but still with very good soundstage and dynamics.

What really surprised me was putting the K's 64 driver on the Koss cable and Qian39 shell. The drivers on both are attached to the shell cover, and the cover on the K's is bigger than the 39's. So K's driver fit very easily on the 39 shell, where the 39 driver on the K's shell was a lot more difficult. Anyway, I had been listening to the K's 64 all day, and didn't like it because of a weird uncomfortable and unnatural sounding treble and just average bass. But in the Qian39 shell the bass is far improved and the treble has become totally warm and comfortable while still having an excellent extension!

Maybe the qian39 shell is actually what emphasizes the bass the most? I can't tell which of these Frankenbuds I like more, but I can easily say I'm extremely happy with both! The K's 64 driver in the Qian39 shell is possibly better than a stock Qian39 and the K's shell and silver cable brings out tons more of the 39's driver's capabilities while also keeping the bass from being too overpowering. I still love the stock 39's sound with all that powerful bass but there is no question I am extremely happy with the results of both of these.

sometimes you just need to swap cables and shells on 2 you don't like a ton to get 2 winners! like i said before - 2 birds with 1 soldering iron...

Really interesting ideas. I actually never even considered swapping drivers onto different shells.

I'm trying hard to resist buying any new buds for a while until I give some away.

Just curious are we allowed to discuss trading in this thread or is that strictly limited to the for sale forum?

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #208 of 4,726

Thanks all =)

I think I might have hit the mother lode of DIY components...seem to be really great prices although I'm sure those go way up once shipping is factored in.

https://shop34785048.world.taobao.com/?spm=a312a.7728556.2015080705.5.OQY9cU

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #209 of 4,726
Greetz bros. Here is my dilenmma.

Would anyone have use for empty PT15 shells after I do some driver harvesting from no cable versions? you could put in your own 15mm and have your own MMCX iem. no cables included. OFfer will be editing out when I run out of PT15 shells. And yes. you do need to supply your own MMCX.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #210 of 4,726
Greetz bros. Here is my dilenmma.

Would anyone have use for empty PT15 shells after I do some driver harvesting from no cable versions? you could put in your own 15mm and have your own MMCX iem. no cables included. OFfer will be editing out when I run out of PT15 shells. And yes. you do need to supply your own MMCX.

I'm very interested...want to do some trading?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back