digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Apr 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #841 of 1,021
Just get the e11, it's cheaper and wayy better and more powerful. 

No I'm not biased, I own both amps.  Even though the specs say that the zo2 gives 16db bass boost while the e11 only gives around 6, my ears find it to be not true.  They both have nearly the same bass boost power.  That's the only thing they got in common though.  The e11 is alot brighter and the bass doesn't really overwhelm the entire spectrum even at eq2.

The zo2 bass is mostly bloated mid-bass, it doesn't give you as good a rumble as the e11.  Also the bass is very sloppy and just sounds empty. 

I've tried using alot of different headphones with the zo2, it just doesn't compare to the e11.

I respectfully disagree. I had both amps, but sold the e11 a few months ago, so this is all from memory, but the e11 was nothing special. It's not a bad amp in the sense that it did what it was supposed to do, and cleanly, but....

I also got noticeable clipping with the e11 bass boost circuit and my es5. As far as the zo bass circuit goes, I find that what you describe as bloated midbass with the zo to just be matter of fuller thicker sound across the spectrum.

To each their own, but I know which one I sold and which one I kept :D

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #842 of 1,021

I only use LIne Out from my iPod and amongst my other budget amps, cMoy, PA2V2, e11, etc, the Zo is, frankly, crap. Whether it is driving simple SR60 or DT770 or D2000. HOWEVER just before I threw it away (into a drawer) I found that it is wonderful for the stock Apple earpods out of the headphone out jack. It makes earpods really tolerable.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #843 of 1,021
Well ZO wasn't even designed to be used with line-out in first place. It works well from headphone out and when doing so the volume on the source should be lowered to around 25% and readjust from there as the manual says which is quite the opposite of how you would be setting up a normal amp. It's worth mentioning though because I think a lot of people doesn't even try to use it that way.

Even out of my realtek onboard headphone out it brings very nice result respectively when comparing how poor it would sound with HO-only. My M-Audio Q40 goes from like sounding meh 70~$100 headphone from the headphone jack only to 200~$250 comparing with headphone out + ZO2.1. Now I cannot wait until my Creative SoundBlaster ZxR arrives though, then the results should be even better with a high quality burr-brown DAC. :) The ZxR also has headphone amp but for ZO this may even be good, it's known to work well double amped / shows signs of that it could use more input power and ZxR with low gain setting I'm expecting to work very nicely.

I've also tested ZO at home from various devices, TVs, computers, phone, old mp3 players etc. In all cases it worked well from the headphone jack and I always GREATLY preferred the sound with ZO vs without. Just trying to say here, forget about how typical amps run, ZO is an analog amp, the signal doesn't get handicapped in the same way your typical FiiO amp would when connecting it to a headphone jack.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #844 of 1,021
Thanks for taking the trouble to post all that interesting info RPGW. I will check that out when I get time. I felt it was a little unfair to describe the Zo as bloated midbass. I think that the Smartvector tech of the Zo is very sophisticated. Just that it also gums up the lovely clarity I get from the Arrow. Maybe your advice will help. That really would be something.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #845 of 1,021
Well this has just turned everything I thought I knew on it's head! I'm listening to the Zo2 from the headphone out of my 4S and into my Arrow. Triple amped!!! and it sounds really good. 
confused_face(1).gif
 I feel somehow dirty though! 
devil_face.gif
 This can't be right. Can it?
One thing though. With all my messing about swapping things in and out I had the gain too high and gave the T-15's a nasty high volume blast. 
basshead.gif
 How resiliant are BA drivers?
blink.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #846 of 1,021
Quote:
Just get the e11, it's cheaper and wayy better and more powerful. 

No I'm not biased, I own both amps.  Even though the specs say that the zo2 gives 16db bass boost while the e11 only gives around 6, my ears find it to be not true.  They both have nearly the same bass boost power.  That's the only thing they got in common though.  The e11 is alot brighter and the bass doesn't really overwhelm the entire spectrum even at eq2.

The zo2 bass is mostly bloated mid-bass, it doesn't give you as good a rumble as the e11.  Also the bass is very sloppy and just sounds empty. 

I've tried using alot of different headphones with the zo2, it just doesn't compare to the e11.

Now with that being said, does anyone have anything that keeps the e11 sq while giving even more bass?  I looked at all the e10 e07 e17 cmoy bb and other forums and they're all very vague on the bass capabilities.

I'll tell you where these shine - as the back end of a double amp combo.  Source--->LOD cable---->E-12/11/7, etc----->ZO---->headphones.  Leave ZO on high gain, adjust volume with E-12 and play with ZO bass contour.  Mostly just leave it in RED and enjoy. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #847 of 1,021
hmm well I'll give it a shot.

Okay, I tossed the LOD cable, it sucks on the zo3.  I totally forgot that holding tab up turns it into 'source controlled volume' which = banshee in ear.  Hence, why I always get the banshee in ear after holding tab up trying to raise volume. 

Anyway it gets pretty loud now, but the mid bass is in my opinion still bloated.  Also, the bass is not as deep as the e11, but it could be because the line out jack from my nano gives crappy sound.  I'll have to doubleamp with e11 later to find out. 

edit:  okay oh my god, I love the zo2 now.  Sorry about the mishap guys. 

The zo2 sucks by itself since it can only take headphone in, which will make it crappy depending on the source.  But wow, in this combination:  Nano--> LOD -> E11 -> ZO2, the bass is totally amazing.  The bloated bass just came from the default nano amp, but its no problem now that it's bypassed.  Also the e11 eq setting is set to 0.

I'm not english, but....
...Cheers!
*brofists Oregonian*

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #848 of 1,021
That's interesting. I felt that the HO works better with the Zo than LO. (from 4S)
I tried various combos and ended up HO from 4S Into Zo2 into Arrow into headphones.
I also forgot about the HO setting on the Zo and damn near fried my headphones and ears! RTFM!

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #849 of 1,021
Quote:
hmm well I'll give it a shot.

Okay, I tossed the LOD cable, it sucks on the zo3.  I totally forgot that holding tab up turns it into 'source controlled volume' which = banshee in ear.  Hence, why I always get the banshee in ear after holding tab up trying to raise volume. 

Anyway it gets pretty loud now, but the mid bass is in my opinion still bloated.  Also, the bass is not as deep as the e11, but it could be because the line out jack from my nano gives crappy sound.  I'll have to doubleamp with e11 later to find out. 

edit:  okay oh my god, I love the zo2 now.  Sorry about the mishap guys. 

The zo2 sucks by itself since it can only take headphone in, which will make it crappy depending on the source.  But wow, in this combination:  Nano--> LOD -> E11 -> ZO2, the bass is totally amazing.  The bloated bass just came from the default nano amp, but its no problem now that it's bypassed.  Also the e11 eq setting is set to 0.

I'm not english, but....
...Cheers!
*brofists Oregonian*

Right?!?!?!  It is an amazing sound presence and the depth of the sound and bass is amazing wired this way.  It is the answer!

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #850 of 1,021
So I am looking around for some products to enhance my Q40 and this is on top of my list, do you think it will perform well going:

PC - ODAC - O2 Amp - ZO - Headphones? 

Should I think of anything? 

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #851 of 1,021
Quote:
So I am looking around for some products to enhance my Q40 and this is on top of my list, do you think it will perform well going:

PC - ODAC - O2 Amp - ZO - Headphones? 

Should I think of anything? 

There are many places that will let you return the product if you don't like it. IIRC.If you order from Digizoid direct they give a sixty day trial. Nothing to lose trying it in your set up.
happy_face1.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #853 of 1,021
I hope you like it. :)
From my experience give it some time and experiment as discussed in this thread. At first I nearly sent mine back thinking it is a gimmick.
Now I don't think it is at all. Even the Arrow Bass boost which has a good rep seems crude to me by comparison.
Try using the Zo on its lower bass setting. :wink:

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #854 of 1,021
Indeed, a lot of people are too quick to judge it for setting it up wrong and what not. Granted it can easily lead to distorted bass if you set it up the wrong way, I hope for the ZO3 they will give it more juice, the ZO2.1 gives a quite suitably strong output.

On my M-Audio Q40 for "normal volume listening levels":

ZO2.3 high gain + windows volume 19~20%

is roughly equal to

ZO2.1 volume maxed + windows volume 14%  

Ampless I'd run my 64 ohm M-Audio Q40 out of my Realtek onboard at 43~45% or so for comparison's sake. At 19~20% on ZO2.1 it's already getting uncomfortably loud for my taste so it's quite a difference between ZO2.3 and ZO2.1 volume wise.

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #855 of 1,021
RPGW. It was your advice that led me to where I am with the Zo now. Getting a lovely detailed but involving sound. :)
Did you not notice my PM? Or have no info? HO out from 4S Into Zo2.3 into Arrow seems to give the best result to me I would still be interested in your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back