digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Jan 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #811 of 1,021
Quote:
You need a DAC of some sort with it. I have used the Sansa Clip Zip with it, the iPod Classic, iPod Video, Tera Player. It works well with pretty much any DAC....Obviously it has it's limitations as a $100 amp, but that's to be expected.

I apologize, I should have clarified. I meant an external DAC but I guess the answer to that would revert back to what type of DAP you are using in the first place anyways.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #812 of 1,021
Ah. Well I don't know myself about that. So you're asking about external iDevice DAC's? I find the ZO2 is a solid enough device that when given better quality source, it passes that through and does its thing to the bass and with the smartVektor tech and then outputs it. As I said, I use it with my Tera Player and it's a lot better than with my iPod Classic LOD. That is, the treble and midrange regions are superior when using the Tera Player for source than the iPod Classic as the source.
Quote:
 I apologize, I should have clarified. I meant an external DAC but I guess the answer to that would revert back to what type of DAP you are using in the first place anyways.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #813 of 1,021
Quote:
Ah. Well I don't know myself about that. So you're asking about external iDevice DAC's? I find the ZO2 is a solid enough device that when given better quality source, it passes that through and does its thing to the bass and with the smartVektor tech and then outputs it. As I said, I use it with my Tera Player and it's a lot better than with my iPod Classic LOD. That is, the treble and midrange regions are superior when using the Tera Player for source than the iPod Classic as the source.

Well without being able to bypass the DAC on some players (specifically the iDevices) I figured a DAC would be out of the scenario anyways (or just b/c of the fact that DAC's can only offer so much more incremental detail versus their extreme costs sometimes I hear) and that most people wouldn't bother BUT, for those who do...what that option might be? I might be getting rid of the Touch for a Z2 and would still prob get the Digi either way for my Q701's, but in the event that I feel I need a DAC I wanted to weigh out my options.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #814 of 1,021
I'm still confused wht you mean, but if you want a ZO2, it will be able to work with the ZO2. a DAC is a completely different consideration that can still be used in coordination with the ZO2
Quote:

Well without being able to bypass the DAC on some players (specifically the iDevices) I figured a DAC would be out of the scenario anyways (or just b/c of the fact that DAC's can only offer so much more incremental detail versus their extreme costs sometimes I hear) and that most people wouldn't bother BUT, for those who do...what that option might be? I might be getting rid of the Touch for a Z2 and would still prob get the Digi either way for my Q701's, but in the event that I feel I need a DAC I wanted to weigh out my options.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #815 of 1,021
Quote:
I'm still confused wht you mean, but if you want a ZO2, it will be able to work with the ZO2. a DAC is a completely different consideration that can still be used in coordination with the ZO2

I was just noting that unless docked it would useless to get a device with built-in DAC (with my iPod). Regardless, has anyone had a chance to see how the ZO2 stacks up against the newer E12? I know it is fairly new to the market but it happened to peak my interest just before I was sold on buying the ZO2.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #816 of 1,021
Quote:

I was just noting that unless docked it would useless to get a device with built-in DAC (with my iPod). Regardless, has anyone had a chance to see how the ZO2 stacks up against the newer E12? I know it is fairly new to the market but it happened to peak my interest just before I was sold on buying the ZO2.

Not even worth the comparison.

E12 is a superior amp in every department except bass boost. In fact, if you want the best of both worlds, get them both, and double amp them (Source > LOD > E12 > interconnect > ZO2 > headphones)

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #817 of 1,021
ZO2.3 and E12 are like almost the polar opposites in headphone amp world (I say "almost" because there is obviously better examples of this higher up but at the price point it seems E12 offers a competitive "flat" sound). It's down to taste and what you're looking but yea ofc you can get both too like previous person mentioned if you got such budget that is.

E12 is digital | ZO is analog
E12 is flat | ZO is fun
E12 has good amping capabilities for the price | ZO has not very good amping capabilities at its price point
E12 is analytical/accurate | ZO is about engaging music listening
with E12 you will more likely analyze your music | with ZO you will most likely keep tapping your foots, headbanging or otherwise look like a guy who tries to make some dance moves for the first time when listening to your music so you're too busy enjoying your music to care to analyze it

Something along those lines. :p I'm a guy that prefers "engaging" listening as priority number 1, when I automaticly fistpump to some hardstyle music which I listen the most to because it's the most engaging music genre for me (with good hardstyle tracks it's simply impossible to sit still in the chair, it just gets you dancing), then I get the REAL enjoyment.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #818 of 1,021
Quote:

E12 is a superior amp in every department except bass boost. In fact, if you want the best of both worlds, get them both, and double amp them (Source > LOD > E12 > interconnect > ZO2 > headphones)

Quote:
ZO2.3 and E12 are like almost the polar opposites in headphone amp world (I say "almost" because there is obviously better examples of this higher up but at the price point it seems E12 offers a competitive "flat" sound). It's down to taste and what you're looking but yea ofc you can get both too like previous person mentioned if you got such budget that is.

E12 is digital | ZO is analog
E12 is flat | ZO is fun
E12 has good amping capabilities for the price | ZO has not very good amping capabilities at its price point
E12 is analytical/accurate | ZO is about engaging music listening
with E12 you will more likely analyze your music | with ZO you will most likely keep tapping your foots, headbanging or otherwise look like a guy who tries to make some dance moves for the first time when listening to your music so you're too busy enjoying your music to care to analyze it

Something along those lines. :p I'm a guy that prefers "engaging" listening as priority number 1, when I automaticly fistpump to some hardstyle music which I listen the most to because it's the most engaging music genre for me (with good hardstyle tracks it's simply impossible to sit still in the chair, it just gets you dancing), then I get the REAL enjoyment.

I ended up looking into some other threads between these two and although the general consensus was that the ZO definitely has more power in bass level frequencies and while it does add a little thump to music, the E12 overall has more power at all frequencies and more exact reproduction of sound. I felt that since I was pairing it with my Q701's this might be the better option. But I still feel that sometime in the near future when I get the funds again, I'll have to hear what the rave is all about with the ZO since it obviously enhances the listening experience in a certain aspect.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #819 of 1,021
Ok, I don't want to start the flame war but I will probably be the only one who dislike ZO2.(This is just me).
smile.gif

So, I finally got this few days ago, I know this cannot be compared against the king "SR71b" or anything high end amps but I was very disappointed.

ZO2 reduces upper trebles and make midrange muddy, when I tried on all my gears, the sound signature becomes beats !.
Seriously, one word I can say about this amp is "muddy amp". But it increases the amount of bass and sub-bass, quality wise ? hmmm, no comment. 

Again this is just my opinion. cheers.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #820 of 1,021
All the headphones in your sig besides the TF10's wouldn't lend themselves well to the ZO2 because of power constraints. If you're using that type of gear, I assume you're also using lossless files? the smartVektor technology is meant to re-energize and liven up the sound of compressed files. Lossless means you don't get the full effect of the technology. 

It's a matter of opinion if you don't like it. It's not like you have to like it. I don't use my ZO2 as much anymore, but I do find that it's fun every once in a while, when i want to use it. The TF10's aren't even good candidates to pair with the ZO2 because it's BA based. I'm not sure how that'd pair. I don't remember anyone mentioning their experienc with that setup. Dynamic drivers will get you the most performance from the ZO2. 

What volume and what bass contour level did you try? What was your setup?
Quote:
Ok, I don't want to start the flame war but I will probably be the only one who dislike ZO2.(This is just me).
smile.gif

So, I finally got this few days ago, I know this cannot be compared against the king "SR71b" or anything high end amps but I was very disappointed.

ZO2 reduces upper trebles and make midrange muddy, when I tried on all my gears, the sound signature becomes beats !.
Seriously, one word I can say about this amp is "muddy amp". But it increases the amount of bass and sub-bass, quality wise ? hmmm, no comment. 

Again this is just my opinion. cheers.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #821 of 1,021
Quote:
All the headphones in your sig besides the TF10's wouldn't lend themselves well to the ZO2 because of power constraints. If you're using that type of gear, I assume you're also using lossless files? the smartVektor technology is meant to re-energize and liven up the sound of compressed files. Lossless means you don't get the full effect of the technology. 

It's a matter of opinion if you don't like it. It's not like you have to like it. I don't use my ZO2 as much anymore, but I do find that it's fun every once in a while, when i want to use it. The TF10's aren't even good candidates to pair with the ZO2 because it's BA based. I'm not sure how that'd pair. I don't remember anyone mentioning their experienc with that setup. Dynamic drivers will get you the most performance from the ZO2. 

What volume and what bass contour level did you try? What was your setup?

Oh ! thanks for the info, let me try with other iems, maybe my sisters Senns.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #822 of 1,021
I have some CIEM's and man, do they get some kick out of the ZO2. I don't feel like it effects the midrange too much. My higher-end models experience virtually no affect to the midrange when using the ZO2. The treble gets just minorly sweeter as well from it. The smartVektor technology and everything in the ZO2 is analog based, not digital. The bass should be rather clean. That's why I questioned your headphone choice. 
Quote:
Oh ! thanks for the info, let me try with other iems, maybe my sisters Senns.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #823 of 1,021
Quote:

This is exactly what I plan on trying. Custom LOD and mini-mini from BTG Audio. Will report back with impressions in a week or more when it all comes in. I have no idea what to expect, but just had to try it, especially at $100 and $120 price points. I'll put these Sig Pros to the test!

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #824 of 1,021
I've used the ZO for about a month now. It complements the low bass extension of my new Beyerdynamic DT 1350 nicely. Really a great pairing as others have mentioned (I found out about the ZO from a head-fi thread on the Beyers). I use it about half the time when going direct from iPod/iPhone/iPad with lossless music. In this configuration, it sounds nice across musical genres, even acoustic jazz and orchestral, surprisingly.

It also sounds good occasionally with my Audio-Technica ESW9, but in this case, mostly for bass-focused music like dub, hip hop, and electronica.

It sounds fantastic plugged into my modest car system!  It really kicks some juice into the low end. (VW Monsoon head unit and speakers with no subwoofer). 

I found it doesn't work as well with my other cans and IEMs. For example, with the Shure SE530, it is dark. It does not sound good with any of my open cans, unfortunately.  Also, I had limited success using it in conjunction with my iBasso D10 Cobra amp, trying numerous configurations and settings.  Mostly the same result with other amps and my home system. 

All in all, it's fun and I'm glad I got it, especially for the car and as a complement to the Beyers for portable listening. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #825 of 1,021
Just got the Zo2. Not too sure what to make of it at the moment. A question though. Can putting all this bass through my IEM's damage them? I am using ACS T-15's. It seems a bit of a travesty to use a device like this with them. The Zo offers a completely different sound signature. Remains to be seen if I prefer it in the long run or not.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back