digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Jan 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #796 of 1,021
Last night I decided to try the ZO2 and the Aurisonics AS-1. DAMN!!! Let me describe the rig first, then I'll tell you how it sounded:

Tera Player (at max volume, right sided HO Jack) --> ZO2 stock cable --> ZO2 --> Aurisonics stock cable --> Aurisonics AS-1 (with new drivers)

If you don't follow Aurisonics, they are set to come out with a in-house made drivers in their IEM's and CIEM's. I am lucky enough to have a pre-mass production set of drivers in my AS-1's. I am not 100% sure this is even the final model of drivers set to go into their products, but I am having a lot of fun trying them out.

So sound, well here are the different configurations I had it and a small little writing:
  1. RED, volume level 1 (minimum volume) - Sensation of head being numbed by the bass. Solid bass, very clean and due to how easy it is to drive the drivers, I could easily move up one level in volume and never have to change the volume level. At the lowest volume it was actually pretty easy to just not touch volume, but I decided to test on for SCIENCE!
  2. RED, Volume level 7 - Head feels like I'm getting side kicked in the face as the bass rumbles extremely deep and impactful. I got scared at the level of volume overall getting to a point that it might be dangerous. I didn't proceed to higher volumes at this point
  3. Orange, Volume level 7 - The overall volume of the music was really loud and even at the lower contour level it was easy to tell this setup was bumping music like a teenager with $$$$ speakers in their car, just better balanced than that. 
  4. Orange, Volume level 1 - I think at this point I realized the volume I needed was just fine at the lowest few, but the contour level was doing a huge amount to the sound as I went to contour level green after.
  5. Green, Volume level 1 - I thought that the bass was missing at first, then it kicked in in the song I was listening to. The smartVektor technology is a great one. I definitely could hear the separation of the music a lot more than before and the bass was still very fun. I look forward to their future products even though I don't really use an amp anymore. 
I hope this gives some people an idea of what the ZO2 can do. It was a lot of fun but I advise anyone using the RED setting to take breaks, your head might feel really weird even just after 10 minutes of that.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #797 of 1,021
Loving the pairing with M-100s right now. Listening to a new Naibu EP, and it's sub bass heaven.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #798 of 1,021
Ooookay..... My ZO is about to explode.

Walking along work, listening to my FXZ200 on low gain via LOD on my itouch 3g, and I get a pop, and static in my ear. The led is going nuts on the ZO. I had it at flat bass boost and 2 on low gain. I'm doing staticy work so that might he the cause, but still I have no way of knowing if my sensitive IEMs will be okay until I get home. And the ZO won't reset by pin push. It's hot and gonna explode.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #799 of 1,021
Good luck, Hopefully you're under warranty if something is wrong
Quote:

Walking along work, listening to my FXZ200 on low gain via LOD on my itouch 3g, and I get a pop, and static in my ear. The led is going nuts on the ZO. I had it at flat bass boost and 2 on low gain. I'm doing staticy work so that might he the cause, but still I have no way of knowing if my sensitive IEMs will be okay until I get home. And the ZO won't reset by pin push. It's hot and gonna explode.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #800 of 1,021
It's second hand from head-fi so I'm eating the cost with this one.

Had it for one month no issues.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #801 of 1,021

Plug it into a charger? Or put it into a fridge to cool it? I would just let it run out of battery.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #802 of 1,021
Update:

Plugging it in doesn't turn the light on, so it's not gonna charge, and it won't turn on anymore. It's done.

You have to understand how hot this thing got. It was to the point the outside rubber got sticky. I'm pretty sure the soldering inside it melted. And the digiZoid label on the other side is a shade of yellow I don't remember before. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #804 of 1,021
I remember reading something similar about a Fiio E7 I think it was recently here. The thing got so hot it melted the outer shell at the place it got hot. The battery that's been short circuited somehow or along those lines.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #805 of 1,021
Quote:
I remember reading something similar about a Fiio E7 I think it was recently here. The thing got so hot it melted the outer shell at the place it got hot. The battery that's been short circuited somehow or along those lines.

I'm partially convinced it was because of the staticy work I was doing. It was the first time I had worked with it, and I think it'll be the last tim eI work with an external amp. Never had an issue before straight from my iPod Touch G3

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #807 of 1,021
For those of you using this for on the go, what DAC are you using to pair it with, or are you not even using one?

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #808 of 1,021
You need a DAC of some sort with it. I have used the Sansa Clip Zip with it, the iPod Classic, iPod Video, Tera Player. It works well with pretty much any DAC....Obviously it has it's limitations as a $100 amp, but that's to be expected.
Quote:
For those of you using this for on the go, what DAC are you using to pair it with, or are you not even using one?

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #810 of 1,021
I'm the owner of a Sennheiser Amperior and a AKG K550. I got the ZO a few weeks ago and this thing has one big downside: I can't listen to these headphones without the ZO anymore. It's really amazing what this little thing does to these headphones. I must say that I'm not an electronic-(bass)music-listener. So it's not only suitable for this kind of music.
The AKG K550 was a bit bass-shy but that's totally disappeared with the ZO. When I unplug it after a hour of listening it feels like the K550 is broken or something. I love the K550 waaaay more with the ZO than without it.
With the Amperior (which isn't bass-shy at all), it's the same story. The Amperior has a more punchy bass from itself. The ZO adds a more 'deeper' bass to the music. It's great that it has 32 different settings. For my K550, I use the yellow/orange color, and with the Amperior I prefer a green/yellow color. 
I can really recommend this thing to anyone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back