digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Apr 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #856 of 1,021
I was quite excited to see the package in my mailbox when I came home from work today. 

Is it something I should think of?

Atm I am running ODAC - O2AMP - ZO - Headphones

With the purple mode on the LED. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #857 of 1,021
Quote:
I was quite excited to see the package in my mailbox when I came home from work today. 

Is it something I should think of?

Atm I am running ODAC - O2AMP - ZO - Headphones

With the purple mode on the LED. 

Sounds like you have it in HIGH gain which is correct for the double amp setup I enjoy.  Give it a go..................the 02 amp will be your volume control.  Keep it turned down and roll into it slowly.................then enjoy the depth of sound and bass at low volume levels unlike anything else I've tried.  Let us know how you like it. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #858 of 1,021
Quote:
Sounds like you have it in HIGH gain which is correct for the double amp setup I enjoy.  Give it a go..................the 02 amp will be your volume control.  Keep it turned down and roll into it slowly.................then enjoy the depth of sound and bass at low volume levels unlike anything else I've tried.  Let us know how you like it. 

Hmm, when I roll it down it becomes blue, is that right?
^____ NVM that.

HAHA, this little thing, what is this? It's so much fun in that little package. Though get a little disortion if I charge when I listen at the same time, so that's a no no. 

But oh boy, haha, I am just laughing all the time.

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #859 of 1,021
Hmm, when I roll it down it becomes blue, is that right?

^____ NVM that.

HAHA, this little thing, what is this? It's so much fun in that little package. Though get a little disortion if I charge when I listen at the same time, so that's a no no. 

But oh boy, haha, I am just laughing all the time.

Purple for Headphone out. Blue for Line Out.
Push the wheel again and it will turn green going to red for bass level. If all else fails RTFM!:)

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #860 of 1,021
Well ZO wasn't even designed to be used with line-out in first place. It works well from headphone out and when doing so the volume on the source should be lowered to around 25% and readjust from there as the manual says which is quite the opposite of how you would be setting up a normal amp.

I've been thinking about this. Out of interest why do you say that the Zo was not originally designed for LO? Surely it is just a different setting according to the manual.

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #861 of 1,021
Quote:
I've been thinking about this. Out of interest why do you say that the Zo was not originally designed for LO? Surely it is just a different setting according to the manual.

Because LO support was hofixed in like 2 weeks time. ZO1 and the first ZO2 couldn't be used with LOD due to too loud output volume, ZO2.3 introduced low gain to address that.

ZO1 - the first ZO, worked only with HO. No volume control
ZO2.1 (what was meant to be ZO2); louder/higher gain than ZO1, volume control added. Problem with high hissing levels with IEMs / some sensitive headphones. 
ZO2.2 (quick response in order to fix hissing levels); reduced gain level -> too low for headphone use
ZO2.3 (hotfix to fix probs with above versions); introduced low and high gain to properly support IEMs and LOD use with low enough hissing, similar amping/gain etc config like ZO1 (no chances were taken this time so therefore digiZoid saw it best to go with the "known to work" ZO1 config

I like the sound of my ZO2.1 but yea it will have hissing with sensitive 32 ohm headphones or majority of IEMs. That isn't a problem with my 64 ohm Q40 though which sounds siginficantly better with ZO2.1 vs ZO2.3 due to the higher gain I suppose.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #862 of 1,021
Thank you for that very detailed and informative answer RPGWizard. You certainly know your Zo! It really is an interesting little unit. I bought it thinking that I would use it occasionally on thin sounding older recordings. Wouldn't listen without it now!

May 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #863 of 1,021
I don't know why it took me so long to figure out what some of you already discovered when double amping

I had it backwards trying to go all line out on everything, thats why it didnt work. currently this is my setup

Sansa fuze v1 > line out > bsg cmoy amp > headphone out > digizoid zo2 line in on high gain > koss kde 250

I get the bass and warmth i was looking for with the dynamics and volume i was looking for

Lol im happy as hell right now

edit: only thing worth noting is that there is slight hissing with this setup thats a little noticeable when there's no music playing. with music playing however it disappears. i havent tested this with other headphones yet, only the koss kde250s which are pretty sensitive iems

May 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #864 of 1,021
I don't know why it took me so long to figure out what some of you already discovered when double a ping

I had it backwards trying to go all line out on everything, this is my setup

Sansa fuze v1 > line out > bsg cmoy amp > headphone out > digizoid zo2 line in on high gain > koss kde 250

I get the bass and warmth i was looking for with the dynamics and volume i was looking for

Lol im happy as hell right now

That's the perfect setup and you have it nailed. I've been doing this for almost a year and just got a second ZO for my portable setup and main setup w/ a Magni.

Love the low volume power and depth.

May 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #865 of 1,021
Quote:
That's the perfect setup and you have it nailed. I've been doing this for almost a year and just got a second ZO for my portable setup and main setup w/ a Magni.

lol yea thats what makes this all the weirder, since i have already been doing this with my desktop setup with my o2 and matrix, running the headphone out into the zo2 for added bass but i never thought to do this with my portable setup, smh

May 13, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #867 of 1,021

iPod classic > LOD > PA2V2 > ZO on high gain. Even the red lights match LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back