Digital Drugs? Headphones + Internet = Getting High
Jul 15, 2010 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Xan7hos

1000+ Head-Fier
Browsing through Gizmodo and came across an article entitled "Help! Teens Are Using Digital Drugs to Get High"; short summary: listening to sounds via headphones which induce a translike euphonic state of mind, presumably like getting high. The article provides a link via a Youtube video in which you can try for youself.

I guess what's more interesting is how serious people (a.k.a. politicians) are taking this. I'm currently without a headphone amp and without any adapters to connect my headphones to test it out; via speakers, it does sound annoying.

Oh wells, back to the other usual suspects.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 37
haha sad that yellow journalism still exists :/. that news report has no expert to refute or affirm whether or not it works; showing kids laughing on youtube gives the impression they are tripping and "getting high", when they're just laughing cause the sound byte is different/odd. sigh

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 37
I tried it, just for the hell of it. I just got a headache from it. If that's what getting high feels like (I'm a good kid!), no thanks.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 37
Now that I think about it, digital drug abuse might explain Patrick82. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 37
I seriously doubt this works on the same level as getting high on "stronger stuff". But hey - if it does the job, then at least it is much less harmful.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 37
It actually sounds like sensory deprivation. It actually could be more trippy than drugs because the effects can last longer and mess someone up as much knowing that some people will get absolutely addicted to it and do it religiously. I remember doing some research about it for some reason. This is one of the websites I liked.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 37
Total BS, listened for 5 minutes to "Ecstasy", nothing but irritating hiss and pulsing sounds.  Really funny "warnings" for parents though, what will they try to scare people with next... well, this is about as stupid as I can imagine but they did have that thing a few years ago - a "state of warming" with no reason given at all.

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 37

Quote:
not to encourage you to try drugs at all...bit no, it is not what it feels like lol

Haha it's strange. A good amount of my friends do them, even (used to) sell them, but I've never seen the appeal. Getting high on life ftw... I'm going to make my drugee friends try this just to see their reactions.

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 37
lul

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 37
Just another reason for the neo-Calvinists and latter-day Puritans to develop sweaty palms and enjoy feeling their underwear constrict. What could be worse than someone enjoying themselves? Pleasure, in any form, must be stamped out. The normal state of life is misery and they will do their best to ensure universal suffering. Anything that smacks of fun is inherently evil.

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 37

Quote:
It actually sounds like sensory deprivation. It actually could be more trippy than drugs because the effects can last longer and mess someone up as much knowing that some people will get absolutely addicted to it and do it religiously. I remember doing some research about it for some reason. This is one of the websites I liked.

I think I tried something similar once. It was on cracked.com. I hooked up a radio to some headphones and turned it to in between stations so it was white noise. Then I got a ping pong ball, cut it in half and taped each half over each eye and shone a red cellophane covered light on my face. I then lay there for around half an hour.

I didn't get messed up. I didn't even hallucinate unless you count weird triangle shapes in the redness as hallucinations.

I highly doubt any teenager would have enough patience to sit around for a few hours until something awesome happened. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back